IGNORED

S bikes?

steveknapp

Where do S bikes go?

I'd think here... "Non R/K Bikes" but the description doesn't include them: "Mechanical and accessory discussions specific to F and G Series Bikes. Oh yeah, and like Airheads, too."

Paul, good to hear from you!

I was searching to see if there was much discussion here and I saw some good insight from you on the bike. I agree, it does seem BMW did a good job with this one. Only a handful of issues, most related to limited numbers and true manufacturing process issues. The connecting rods in '12 and sidestand bolts. Feedback on the RR forums has been positive as well as most comparison reviews.

Now to wait for spring. Mine has been caught, but it doesn't want to play outside in this weather.

Go ride it. When I bought my RR I headed up in the mountains and there were still giant snow piles on the shoulders. Froze my ass off but it was worth it.

I'm not worried about cold. Right now there are giant snow piles and salt all over the roads. Not much traction, ride won't be fun at all. This is snowmobile season.

Why did you sell the RR? Saw some older posts where it seemed you were enjoying it.

I was enjoying the RR just a little too much - it awakened the long dormant hooligan in me, and I foresaw some big trouble in the near future. There's just no way I could ride that bike in anything remotely resembling a responsible manner.

So I sold the RR and bought something a little tamer - a K12S. :)

We will see if that happens here. I demoed the bike and found it willing to ride at sane speeds, more so than expected. Time will tell.

We will see if that happens here. I demoed the bike and found it willing to ride at sane speeds, more so than expected. Time will tell.

It can be ridden sane, and you will find that you have four extra gears in the transmission that you do not need. :)

My comment after the demo ride was "torque-wise it feels just like the buell, except I don't need to shift at 6k" :)

Any suggested "stuff" for the bike? So far my must have list is spools and a rear stand. Probably pitbull forward handle rear.

I did not spend too much money on mine, particularly because I am not interested in CF trinkets. I did put on frame sliders on the side fairings and a Tail-Tidy to clean up the excessive tail light bracket. As for stands, I only had a rear and I highly recommend a Red Line. It's on casters and it makes it a snap to move the bike around in the garage, plus it is well made and inexpensive and the seller is a good guy. There is some little trick involved in mounting the rear spools that I do not recall; seems like I had to modify a bolt slightly due to some machined relief in the swing arm around the bolt holes. See:

Red Line S1000RR stands

Exhaust-wise, I did not spend big bucks on a system. I did deactivate the aft butterfly valve, and for a while I ran without a muffler in a very rural area. But not for long.

There is at least one really good RR forum where you can spend days reading about mods and accessories. Some guys doubled the price of their bikes buying lightweight wheels, CF doo dads, and full Akra systems.

Have fun. It is a mind blowing machine. The party starts at 9k rpms. The traction control is brilliant in the rain.

Did your dealer discuss the magic software update that BMW sells? Horsepower boost, but voids warranty.

Agree, don't want to spend too much on it. Most of the bits I see are more for looks. Trying to decide on the functional ones. Frame sliders and the like. Also at some point a tank bag and tail bag.

No discussion of the SW update. I'll need to dig into that a bit. For the first bit the warranty will be nice to keep.

Where do S bikes go?

I'd think here... "Non R/K Bikes" but the description doesn't include them: "Mechanical and accessory discussions specific to F and G Series Bikes. Oh yeah, and like Airheads, too."

Fixed it. Thanks.

Archived