IGNORED

My new G650GS

dazzz

That is nice. I notice you're fluent in dirt so if you're still in the area and want some nice two-track PM me. Got a GS route across Fla. and back from there too.

So I actually have a question, Why the big, heavy gaurds on a bike that looks like there is nothing that can be seriously damaged in a minor crash?

Please do not think I am knocking that sweet bike and even those nice crash bars, just curious what they are there to protect?

I totally get crash bars on a boxer where some of the vital bits stick WAY out in the danger zone, but I do not see any ominous looking danger on those nice parallel twins any more than an average dirt bike.

More pics either way.

So I actually have a question, Why the big, heavy gaurds on a bike that looks like there is nothing that can be seriously damaged in a minor crash?

Please do not think I am knocking that sweet bike and even those nice crash bars, just curious what they are there to protect?

I totally get crash bars on a boxer where some of the vital bits stick WAY out in the danger zone, but I do not see any ominous looking danger on those nice parallel twins any more than an average dirt bike.

More pics either way.

I think you can lay it down without damage to the bodywork. The lower skid plate did not come on the bike. It came on earlier bikes. This bike had a plastic guard covering the voltage regulator which is located in harms way, front right side down low. I just like the looks. Bought the skid plate used and had it powder coated black. I hope all the guards are just for looks. I hope not to scratch them!

Bills014_zps1346c20b.jpg

Bills011_zps0dbe6118.jpg

Showing digital volt meter.

That's a nice bike and, being originally designed for the Brazilian market, excellent value for money. :thumbsup:

A few years ago I came up behind an F800GS on a road in Austria under a downpour. He went down in a hairpin. He had bars like those fitted and they did their job in protecting the bike.

(By the way, the rider was completely unhurt except for some damaged pride).

What's the "Map Select" button all about?

That button turns on the digital volt meter. The meter draws almost no current but I can put that current draw out of the picture. I'm a bit anal about voltage. I think these 650's are very sensitive to voltage so I keep a close watch on it.

K,

What would have gotten hurt if he had the same crash without the bars?

Don't know, but one bar had some scuffing on it, indicating it had done its job. From memory (and it's an episode I vaguely remember) the scuff was located towards the top of the bar.

K,

What would have gotten hurt if he had the same crash without the bars?

I'll bet some people just want the bars. Assume that's ok?

Of course it is OK. I am not knocking the bars or a persons choice to run them at all. I am just curious what it is that they do Marty.

Kakagu,

I guess that is what I am asking. A scuff on a crash $3-400 crash bar or a scuff on a same priced tank cover panel...6 to one, half dozen to the other.

Why add the weight for so little reward is all I am thinking. They look nice and stout. I understand the thought behind them, but ultimately a scuff is a scuff is a scuff.

Great looking bike dazzz and more pics of it out on the road.

A scuff on a crash bar is a bit less than a cracked and destroyed plastic panel. One has to be replaced. The other reminds you of why you installed the protection.

Hope this helps.

Archived