IGNORED

600 mile service

gjnockie

Does anyone know exactly what is supposed to done at the 600 mile service? I just had mine completed and my bike does not run any better than before I brought it in, actually I think it ran better before the service. The dealer only charged me $135.00 which I thought was rather low. After reading some of the posts concerning the service I am worried because it only took about an hour for the mechanic to complete the service. Why is everyone keep talking about 3.5 hours?

Gjnockie

2005 R1200 RT

St0nkingByte

Here's what the service schedule PDF has in it:

BMW Motorrad

Maintenance schedule

R 1200 RT

Running-in check (once only at 1,000 km)

• Reading fault-code memories with the BMW Motorrad diagnostic system
  • Performing bleed test with the BMW Motorrad diagnostic system
  • Changing engine oil
  • Tightening cylinder head fasteners
  • Checking secondary spark plugs
  • Adjusting valve clearance
  • Checking brake-fluid level, front brakes
  • Checking brake-fluid level, rear brakes
  • Checking freedom of movement of throttle cable and checking for kinks and chafing
  • Checking tyre pressures and tread depth
  • Checking lights and signalling equipment
  • Function test, engine start suppression
  • Checking synchronisation
  • Test ride as final inspection and function check
  • Reading fault-code memories with the BMW Motorrad diagnostic system
  • Confirming BMW Service in on-board documentation

My service was prepaid so I didn't pay much attention at the time. But looking over my receipt, my 600 mile "service" with parts and 3.5 hours labor would've cost $306 (BMW of Ft.Worth). I'm assuming part of that labor is the removal of the plastic and head guards.

Where can someone pick up a copy of the service schedule PDF?

Does anyone know exactly what is supposed to done at the 600 mile service? I just had mine completed and my bike does not run any better than before I brought it in, actually I think it ran better before the service. The dealer only charged me $135.00 which I thought was rather low. After reading some of the posts concerning the service I am worried because it only took about an hour for the mechanic to complete the service. Why is everyone keep talking about 3.5 hours?

Gjnockie

2005 R1200 RT

An hour seems a little light for doing what's on the list. I'd ask them for a copy of the service schedule with the items checked off. Haven't had my R12RT in yet (at 100 miles with snow and ice covered roads), but my K12GT they'd use the BMW schedule and actually check off things as they did (or didn't) do them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived