IGNORED

Another Philly LEO arrested

ltljohn

Not a LEO bashing but I think they need to screen their applicants better. According to the article this makes 52 arrested in the last 4 years. It could also mean they are getting their house in order. I see the news stories and charges have included ID theft, drug dealing, ripping off dealers, intimidating witnesses and various forms of fraud and just plain reckless behavior. Is Philly crazy or is this a problem in other big cities? LINKY

Sounds like corruption was condoned and accepted as part of the job.

Kudos to Philadelphia for cleaning house.

Police corruption starts at the top and filters down from there..

It's not a screening problem, it's a management problem.

Its a management problem allowing a lower standard in the screening of applicants. Most police departments are having problems finding quality applicants. There are some, but not in the numbers needed. I have seen over the last 5-10 years newer police officers that I really have to shake my head and wonder how did they make it on.

I have been involved in some of the investigations, and at least have to say that for the most part, the departments do try and clean up the mess. Just wish they did not allow it to begin in the first place.

Its not police bashing, every job has its bad apples, just some are more public than others.

Mark

2 parts...

1. You get what you pay for

2. When you lower standards for any reasons...it catches up to you. Rafeal Perez (Rampart LAPD scandal) had a 3 page criminal history when LAPD hired him...Riverside PD wouldn't touch him...go figure a criminal given a badge stays a ......Criminal!

DaveTheAffable
2 parts...

1. You get what you pay for

2. When you lower standards for any reasons...it catches up to you. Rafeal Perez (Rampart LAPD scandal) had a 3 page criminal history when LAPD hired him...Riverside PD wouldn't touch him...go figure a criminal given a badge stays a ......Criminal!

2 parts:

1) The public thinks peace officers are overpaid, and if anything, their salaries should be significantly lower.

2) The public doesn't care about standards. "Fair" is the most important criteria, and they think that agencies are swimming with applicants that are bright, criminal history free, and willing to take those low salaries.

The public, for some reason thinks that agencies are ignoring bright, strong charachter, drug free, criminal history free, candidates.

Dave,

I am part of "the public" and I do not think officers are overpaid.

I also DO care about standards and "fair" has nothing to do with reality of life.

I know here in Riverside County the Sheriffs department can not find hireable people. They have budget, but no qualified applicants.

I do also know of people who ARE qualified who applied for years, passed all tests, physicals, backrounds, and pshycs and eventually got hired in other cities even though they wanted to work HERE. Don't know why the 2 can not seem to find each other.

Maybe some advertising that departments need good help? Maybe start with some outreach to high schools before kids get in trouble to reach for a higher standard. Or focus on Vets returning home...IDK the answer, but they should NOT recruit at the post office...lol.

I actually think my Union recruits outside the local prison. I do not think I have one younger apprentice that does not need regular time off to "see his PO" {parole officer for you law abiding citizens}.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Kmac

There are personalities that don't fit as well with PDs as they do with S.O's and vice versa. That is usually one factor. In California, the jobs aren't the same.

Understand that, at least in California, this is going to get worse. New pension laws say that your retirement is based on your base salary. That means that if I was a highly trained educated homicide detective that earns more than one working a simple desk job due to my position, I will still retire at the lower pay. Not a very good incentive for quality people.

Mark

DaveTheAffable
Dave,

I am part of "the public" and I do not think officers are overpaid.

I also DO care about standards and "fair" has nothing to do with reality of life.

You're right. I'm guilty of painting with too broad of a brush sometimes.

I should have said "much of the public". :/

Dave,

As much as I hate getting tickets or having LEOs tell me that they have to write easy tickets like window tint because 90% of the people will just pay the fine instead of remove it. Quick easy income for an agency. That kind of sucks. Income based policing over protect and serve based policing sucks. That is not a knock on the people wearing the badge, rather on the agencys who set those policies.

I do like and respect the actual officers and know they have a VERY tough job. Many people hate cops, right up until they are a victim and NEED one. Crappy spot to work in.

Over worked, under paid, and WAY underappreciated for sure.

I always talk to LEOs when I am at a restaurant or see one at the BMW dealer or some shop. I respect them.

Archived