IGNORED

R1100rt tire recommendations?

BMUUsed

I know that this has probably been done to death, but I couldn't find the past threads. I'm getting ready to replace tires on my '97 R1100rt. The PO had installed Avon Storms. I found Pilot Road 3's on sale. I've also had good luck on past bikes with Metzlers and Dunlops. I have no complaints with Avons either, but they're down to the last 25%. I've got a 3000 mile trip planned for spring and I'd like to start with fresh skins. What do you guys and gals like?

Best tyre wear I ever had was when we lived in Wheaton, IL and I had Metzeler ME880's on the bike. Best wearing 'slab' tyre I've used and also excellent in the twisties ;)!

I got just a hair under 15,000 miles from the rear PR2, and about 10,000 miles from the front PR2 on my R1100. The rear was 50% more than any tire I have used in the past 15 years. At this point, I doubt that the PR3s are going to meet those figures. One note: the tread on the PR3 front has many fine sipes perpendicular to the tread, probably extremely good for wet traction, but I think they contribute to tire noise. I don't even have to look at the speedometer, as I can tell by ear when the bike hits 65 mph. The PR2 seemed quieter.

PR3 have been on my R1100RT for a couple months, maybe 1000 miles and I LOVE them. Best tire so far on my RT.

Never ran PR2s so I can not comment on quieter or not, but these are very quiet to me.

I HATED the Pirelli Angel STs I have before...wore out really fast and stuck to the ground like they were made out of Vasoline.

PR3s were and are a great value. So far they seem to be wearing excellently.

I think the bike had Metzlers or something on it when I got it and those felt like rocks. Rode hard and were noisy with poor traction.

Running PR 2's with more cornering confidence over the 880's. They were okay but have more rigid sidewall, made for heavier bike (or so i was told by independent bmw mech).

The rear PR2 needed 1/4 oz weight to balance vs 1.25 for 880 FWIW.

Continental tires are as good as any other top brand, i say go for it if the price is good and don't waste you're time reading all the dang tire threads.

I've been pricing and looking at tires as well. I found some great deals on line but then you have to install them yourself and then get them balanced. I found PR3s installed and balance for $450. They could do Brigestone Battlax Bt-023s for $398. Sounds like it is best to go with the PR3s but does anyone here have any experience with the others.

Another vote for the PR3s. The rear I have now is at 12K miles and still going.

First front went to 10K+ and the left side was bald. This one is wearing much more even (entirely 'nother thread) and seems to be lasting much longer with 6K on it now, and not near the wear bars.

Handles great, warm or cold, wet or dry. Inspires confidence.

I've been pricing and looking at tires as well. I found some great deals on line but then you have to install them yourself and then get them balanced. I found PR3s installed and balance for $450. They could do Brigestone Battlax Bt-023s for $398. Sounds like it is best to go with the PR3s but does anyone here have any experience with the others.

I think you could do better buying them online and taking them and your bike to have them mounted and balanced.

I'm getting 12k on the bt023 rears @ 42psi. The bt seems to wear better toward the end of it's life than the me880, which I was able to get closer to 13-15k.

I'm changing my own tires, so $127 from Jake Wilson and we're good to go. The BT seems to be a really good value for my scenario.

Anyone with personal experience with pr2 vs bto23?

Archived