IGNORED

Teaching How to Ride

RSlacker

So my youngest sister and friend from college are now learning how to ride. I have a '94 Yamaha TW200 with a VStar 250 shock on the rear to lower it. Mostly, my big question here is what drills might be good to teach them? I've already run them both through the slalom, staggered slalom, and left and right hand turns (so they can learn how to lean and such). I wasn't exactly sure what else to teach them in the parking lot. Most of my experience is road experience, and in all honesty, I'm just trying to do pre-prep for the MSF course (even though I'm going to have to break the bad habits that THAT brings). Any ideas on more drills? (emergency braking is a priority once I get a new front brake lever on... former "student" dropped and bent the hell out of it. :P)

I'm just trying to do pre-prep for the MSF course (even though I'm going to have to break the bad habits that THAT brings). Any ideas on more drills? (emergency braking is a priority once I get a new front brake lever on... former "student" dropped and bent the hell out of it. :P)

Pre MSF; friction zone, Stop and go drill

"(even though I'm going to have to break the bad habits that THAT brings)"

I'm curious are you suggesting MSF teaches bad habits? If so what are they?

RR

You can always buy (or give as a gift) Ride like a Pro dvd.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

I believe it comes with a layout chart for cone patterns. But if you're less anal about things, you could take them on a tour of a neighborhood with lots of cul-de-sacs and let them have extensive practice making turns in both directions and stopping and starting with little traffic.

------

Here you go...

Do the unexpected lane change... have the ride straight at you and you hand signal whether to swerve left or right... at random.

Do figure 8's. Practice starting in one direction, then the other.

Do the half figure 8 inside the "box"... that to say they are going straight, then begin a tight U-turn that is really a 270 degree turn then exit going exact opposite direction from the box.

Straight-line stops... get up to 15 mph and hit the brakes. Keep it straight, no feet down till stopped.

You can get several of the large red or yellow cups (beer-cup size) and partially fill with water. Make great "cones".

See my PM.

Learning to ride is the easy part. The parking lot away from traffic is a good idea. I did the same on my first bike. Learning to survive will be the most important lessons shortly after the initial riding skills are acquired. I'm sending you a PM.

Given the simplicity of the drills, I might recommend the MSF dirtbike school videos. It's simple drills, very non threatening and easy to work with. It's also pretty well tied in to the TW so they can identify with it.

The bad habits I'm referring to are the habits of constantly putting the bike in neutral at stops for the most part. I always make it a habit to kill the bike using the kickstand in gear so it won't roll away when I leave.

The bad habits I'm referring to are the habits of constantly putting the bike in neutral at stops for the most part. I always make it a habit to kill the bike using the kickstand in gear so it won't roll away when I leave.

Where does MSF teach that?? MSF teaches to always keep the motorcycle in first gear and to use the engine cut off switch. It is good habit to use the engine cut of switch in case you have a mechanical issue were the motorcycle starts to get out of control and you have to shut it off while riding. These are good habits and nothing is etched in stone. I tell my class to always keep an open mind when learning new stuff.

I'll have to look into that. It may be different based on region or the people teaching, but that's what they taught me and I had to get out of it. I've also had to get my sister and friend out of that since they were always searching for neutral and sometimes even not paying attention to what else was going on because they were looking for the green light.

I'll have to look into that. It may be different based on region or the people teaching, but that's what they taught me and I had to get out of it. I've also had to get my sister and friend out of that since they were always searching for neutral and sometimes even not paying attention to what else was going on because they were looking for the green light.

I want to know also?? I thought that MSF is the same on the east coast and the west coast.............lol

Where does MSF teach that?? MSF teaches to always keep the motorcycle in first gear and to use the engine cut off switch. It is good habit to use the engine cut of switch in case you have a mechanical issue were the motorcycle starts to get out of control and you have to shut it off while riding. These are good habits and nothing is etched in stone. I tell my class to always keep an open mind when learning new stuff.

+1

I took my wife over to the local cemetery to practice. She went around in there for hours and loved it. She could focus on how to handle the bike without worrying about traffic. And she go a lot more than the parking lot could offer. There are usually little curvy spots, corners, intersections and sometimes a little hill.

Just avoid any services that you might happen along. Sundays are usually pretty slow.

Under what circumstances would one want to shut off the bike while riding?

It seems to me that would take away brake assist, and the bike's natural tendency to stay upright while being powered.

I don't recall it being discussed when I took MSF, then again, it's been a while.

Yes Tim, but the wording that causes me to ask is:

in case you have a mechanical issue were the motorcycle starts to get out of control and you have to shut it off while riding

If the bike is on its side, you are no longer riding it.

Right, so if you use the kill switch regularly instinct may

have you cut it off just before hitting ground and prevent the spin/grind.

quick disconnect failure is spewing gas

and you notice it at a stop/light

could help.

I found mine in the garage (QD leak).

Didn't react very quickly.

:P

Spray covers a big area.

:(

But, I rarely use my kill switch...

:lurk:

Under what circumstances would one want to shut off the bike while riding?

It seems to me that would take away brake assist, and the bike's natural tendency to stay upright while being powered.

I don't recall it being discussed when I took MSF, then again, it's been a while.

The example I give is the time I was riding my RT and I started to get a wobble in the front end. I started to slow and the wobble got worse shaking the whole motorcycle. I thought that motor was going to blow. The slower more wobble. I did not want to take the hands off the handle bars as I felt I would loose control one handed attempt to shut it off with a key, so the years I been teaching MSF, I just hit the engine cut off switch and coasted to a stop. I had gotten a front flat tire..............

• 2 weeks later...

. . . good point about keeping the bike in gear at a stop light. Also, watch that rear view mirror(s). In 50 years of riding I have had two incidents where a rear approaching vehicle didn't see me while at a stop light. In both cases I got out the way and then heard the sounds of the approaching vehicle smashing into the vehicle that was ahead of me. Bike in gear, watching the rear view and having a planned escape route saved me serious injury.

Bike in gear, watching the rear view and having a planned escape route saved me serious injury.

+1 on this ALL vehicles. We teach this for drivers of cars/trucks as well and I have similar stories (though, of course, the consequences wouldn't have been as severe).

A co-worker was riding his brand new Triumph home from the dealer and got rear ended at a light. One moment he was sitting on the bike, the next we was standing there with the bike rolling away from underneath him. Luckily the car never touched him and the damage was cosmetic

A co-worker was riding his brand new Triumph home from the dealer and got rear ended at a light. One moment he was sitting on the bike, the next we was standing there with the bike rolling away from underneath him. Luckily the car never touched him and the damage was cosmetic

I had a very similar situation, except I was a on a rental bike (and wasn't just leaving the shop - I'd actually picked the bike up late the night before so I could get an early start the next morning, which I was doing, and then at the first traffic light of the day....). I stopped at the light, I may have made a check of my rear but I don't honestly remember; I do remember a full size pickup stopping behind me...and then a few moments later it rolled forward into the back of the bike just hard enough to knock me off balance and to make me lose my grip on the clutch. The bike sort of took off from under me and fell over in the middle of the intersection - good thing it was early as there was no cross traffic to get involved.

This is one of the things I remember to remind myself to keep checking the rear before, while and after stopping...

• 2 weeks later...

Putting the bike in neutral at every stop is not part of the MSF's Basic Rider Course curriculum. Not in any location. Not to say that it is part of some other curriculum (The MSF isn't the only motorcycle training curriculum out there).

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve gotten into the habit of tapping my brake while sitting at a stop light as traffic approaches from behind. I know you can get an add-on accessory that does this for you.

I do have a question for everyone. Never taken a motorcycle riding class; I grew up on dirt bikes.

When I ride on a connecting interstate which typically has 3-4 lanes, say 270 or 170 here around St. Louis. I usually ride in the far left lane. My logic has always been trouble comes mostly from one direction, my right, instead of two, if I were in the center or right lane. Is this acceptable? (Interstate riding is as the norm; keep right except when passing.) If a car comes up behind, I move over, let him pass and then return.

I don’t have a lot of rules I try to remember while riding, but I have a few. I try never ride next to a vehicle for any length of time. If I’m going to pass him, I pass him quickly. If I’m in traffic and can’t get past him, I move far enough up so the driver sees me and hopefully remembers there was a motorcycle in his blindspot a moment ago. I figure it’s better to tailgate long enough so he sees me than have him get frustrated and change lanes quickly. If I find myself behind a car with tinted rear windows or something else blocking my view through his rear window and his windshield, I move.

Consider Skene designs they have a product called P3 that mounts LED lights near the rear license plate that flash when you brake and use the turn indicators. I put a pair on my '04 RT last summer for that extra visibility from behind.

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/ The install took me about an hour

Having driven in ST. Louis traffic a time or two I know how congested the highways can be. You are smart in limiting the direction of trouble to just one side and to pass with purpose. Within reason I try to move just a little faster than traffic. Remember the drill that you are invisible until you make yourself known and trust no one. There are some nice roads outside of the county especially towards the Ozarks, have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

The simple mechanics of riding are only (a moderately useful) beginning. They're not hard to learn and just enough to get you killed in the real world.

The most important thing you can do for any new rider is to spend a few hours using communicators out on public roads, coaching them about identifying possible hazards and responding / positioning correctly. They'll have bad habits from cages that need to get a reset.

The only parking lot sutff I'd put in the same category is learning to use brakes to full potential, including achieving a level of comfort with locked tires so panic isn't a result. Not much of a fan of cone exercises- of only modest use in staying alive in the real world.

Effective swerving avoidance manuevers at higher speeds are a higher order skill and unlikely to be achieved by beginners in real world situations IMO. If one has a student with enough skill they're probably worth the time but I suspct most would be far better served by learning the avoidance skills that come from road coaching and brake use. Like learning to use a firearm for self defense, avoidance is the most certain tool for survival..

Archived