IGNORED

04RT Oil Cap Leak

Pananimal

I have relpaced the O'ring twice in the oil cap but still get some oil leaking out. I "think" it happens more on days I ride a little harder like in the twisties. Is this normal? Is there a fix? Or do you just learn to live w/ it?

hi

if you have just replaced your filter did you use one with a valve in it , if not you may be making a little to much oil pressure., or have you slightly overfilled it only a longshot but you never know. thumbsup.gif

Michael Fajans

The plastic sleeve into which the oil cap screws also has an o-ring that could be the source of your leak. To replace that you need to remove the valve cover.

I have relpaced the O'ring twice in the oil cap but still get some oil leaking out. I "think" it happens more on days I ride a little harder like in the twisties. Is this normal? Is there a fix? Or do you just learn to live w/ it?

There is a tendency for the oil filler to leak. Changing the O ring helps, and some of the aftermarket 'secure' caps are beter in this respect. The plastic inner section of the filler plug can also leak a bit, it has its own o-ring part no 11 14 1 340 901, it may be worth swapping this part out as well.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif.

Some of the BMW caps still had a little flashing left on them that prevents the O-ring from seating correctly. Just scrape it off if it has it.

Stan

some of the aftermarket 'secure' caps are beter in this respect.

And some of them aren't. I installed one (I'm sorry I can't remember which brand, but I think I got it from Bob's), double checked my installation against the instructions, and went for a ride. "Hmm, what's that smell? Smells like burned oil. [looks down] Oh, and it's all over my boot and my pants, too!" I put the stocker back in and haven't had a problem with it. But my RT is an '04 dual-spark, so maybe the new bits make a difference. Or maybe I'm just an idiot and did have it installed wrong.

When I bought my new (to me) '04 R1150RT, I noticed mine was leaking after the 400+ mile ride home. Cleaned it up and thought it was just loose. Next day, 200 mile ride, same thing. confused.gif

I finally discovered if I cleaned it REALLY well before reinstalling the cap, NO LEAK! thumbsup.gif

Clean the o-ring really well until it's dry and give it another try.

Just a thought.

Mine has always weeped a little. Just recently I noticed it getting much worse on long rides. Locsl service manager says TADT.

I swear, the next time he tells me that he's gonna be able to open up a boot store in his ass.

Damn, I forgot I'm supposed to be in my kinder/gentler phase. Well, I never said it would happen overnight.

pete

Thanks guys. I will look into the different checks. I rode two days hard this week up in the twisties and had the little leak I was concerned about but today I did more mellow countryside riding and it did just fine(no leakage).

Go figure! confused.gif

Archived