IGNORED

What Happens at the End of the BRP?

Albert

Following this year's UN we're planning to continue south to the end of the BRP (Cherokee, NC). We have no definite plans after that so I'm looking for any interesting things that might be down that way that would justify stopping there. Doesn't have to be in the immediate area since we won't really have any time constraints.

Thanks!

The Biltmore Estate in Asheville. "Wheels through Time" museum in Maggie Valley. Smoky Mountain National Park - explore the inner roads to old barns, buildings, homesteads.

Edit: Just read in your other post you are 2 years from medicare, means you are 63. If you don't have it make sure you get the National Parks Senior Pass. Starts at 62. $10 gets you a life-long free entrance to the parks, for you and anybody who is in/on your vehicle.

Milepost 382: Folk Art Center

Milepost 384: The BRP Visitor Center near Asheville, is worth a stop. The last time I went through there, they were running a nice film of a father and daughter riding the length of the BRP. If I remember correctly, she was on a Ducati, and he was on a UJF.

Milepost 409: The Pisgah Inn makes for a nice lunch stop. Great views, and the food is more modestly priced and better than you might expect for such a location.

Much later than the UnRally, the Folkmoot festival will be held in Waynesville, July 17-28.

A short detour off the BRP, the Scottish Tartans Museum is interesting even if you aren't a Celt. For a (fairly substantial) fee, you can have a custom tartan designed. There is a Harley Davidson tartan, predictably black and orange.

Following this year's UN we're planning to continue south to the end of the BRP (Cherokee, NC). We have no definite plans after that so I'm looking for any interesting things that might be down that way that would justify stopping there. Doesn't have to be in the immediate area since we won't really have any time constraints.

Thanks!

Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, some great rides though northern Georgia, turn around and re-experience it from the other direction.

There's an exit, not to worry.

:wave:

I always viewed that as an entry portal to Hell. I mean, Cherokee....

Understandable.

But we have fond memories as the first 3 (?) El Paseo's were held

there and it was a good time for all.

Lone_RT_rider
There's an exit, not to worry.

:wave:

I always viewed that as an entry portal to Hell. I mean, Cherokee....

Understandable.

But we have fond memories as the first 3 (?) El Paseo's were held

there and it was a good time for all.

I missed the first ElP's, but I agree Tim. Some of the best events we have ever had in the Smokies happened there. I think that's just a bit before Matt found our little group though.

Shawn

Cherokee has to be looked at with history in mind. I see it as a failed fedral policy. Our church has done serveral mission trips the the res. There are good people there, and there are bad people there. Just like everywhere else. If you go, talk to the locals and remember that most will not seem very friendly. It s just their way. You will eventually find someone who will converse. Education, politics and religion are all good topics. I learn something new about the place and the people every time I go. Go see the outdoor drama will there. Good way to get an overview of the people.

I don't know if this is what Matt is refering to but, during the first BRR in Maggie there was a Harley rally going on in Cherokee. We made the mistake of riding down to the end of the BRP and then through Cherokee. It took about an hour to get thru town. We got caught up behind a parade. Ugh!

Lone_RT_rider
I don't know if this is what Matt is refering to but, during the first BRR in Maggie there was a Harley rally going on in Cherokee. We made the mistake of riding down to the end of the BRP and then through Cherokee. It took about an hour to get thru town. We got caught up behind a parade. Ugh!

Yeah, that would definitely be a pain. I still remember the time when Mitch routed us from Gatlinburg through Pigeon Forge because it looked like a quicker route. :rofl::dopeslap:

Turn right, Left on the Foothills Parkway, Left on the Dragon, 28 either way, Cherohala..

These are all, for me, destination roads. Good scenery. Plenty of places to stop and ponder. Fun riding.

We made the mistake of riding down to the end of the BRP. We got caught up behind a parade. Ugh!

That's how my sister crashed during UN X, parade bikes (H-Ds) brake-checking for no reason just a few miles from the Cherokee end. Ended up at Maggie Valley Medical Center.

Yeah, that would definitely be a pain. I still remember the time when Mitch routed us from Gatlinburg through Pigeon Forge because it looked like a quicker route. :rofl::dopeslap:

Rightspin did that to me once

Archived