IGNORED

New to Camhead, old to BMW R1200RT

Deek

I traded my '09 for a '13 last week. Got tons of questions, so hope ya'll can help me spend my money.....

I had my '09 pretty much set up as I wanted, but many items would not transplant onto the '13.

I will need to find a set of engine head guards and highway pegs pretty quick. I really need pegs so I can stretch a bit on those high mileage days....otherwise I get cramps. I'd like to get the pegs first, as they are more important, but I was thinking maybe pegs would mount with some engine guards. I also have seen a few guys mount GS guards on an RT...but not idea what year bikes.

Thanks!

You can mount any 1" clamp highway peg to the ZTecnik engine guard and move them fore/aft about 4". Also don't have to remove the guard to remove the valve covers. Pricey but my valve covers were not scratched in a fairly violent road exit that killed the rest of the bike's plastic.

Bill

...........my valve covers were not scratched in a fairly violent road exit that killed the rest of the bike's plastic.

Bill

Ouch - sorry about that. Hope the body is okay.....yours, not the Beamers!

Anyone have or seen these?

Ilium Highway Pegs.

Looks like the pegs would work for me, and perhaps give a little protection to the valve cover guards in the event of a tip-over.

Maybe in conjustion with a pair the engine valve covers that sell for around $150. I know they aren't tubular engine guards....but there are other things I need for this motorcycle......

Thoughts? I really don't want to pay $500 plus for engine guards and pegs.....hoping to keep the price closer to $300. Well, I am dream, right?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Anyone have or seen these?

Deek

I have those. I like them and they protect the heads while they have adjustment for length. The tupperware comes and goes with them in place. You can probably drop the bike over farther and start to pick up rocker cover damage but, at that point, the overall damage is going to be significant anyway....that was my logic in selecting those.

On mine, I had a nut welded into the front end of the tube and mfg brackets to hand foglamps onto the ends. Worked out great once I cleaned up the spatter.

Also, IIRC the torx size callouts in the instructions weren't all correct. Not a problem if you have a full set already.

Hey Deek, congrats on your new '13 RT. What color? Beautiful in any color, huh? Enjoy!

About your engine guard/highway peg question: I have both the ZTechnik engine guards (that allow engine covers to come off without guard removal) and the same Illium highway pegs you asked about above both on my '11 RT. They work together perfectly and do the job while looking great. Both are quality.

They will cost you more than your projected $300 (yeah, a dream there), but you get what you pay for. Hey, you got big bucks in your new RT, so why not continue with the upscale quality of ZTechnik guards and Illium pegs? You'll be happy you did. If the cash flow is skinny right now, how about engine guards now and pegs later? That's what I did.

Finally, my ZTechnik guards have a mounting hole in the front for fog or Moto light mounting...an enlightening concept, I think.

"..The tupperware comes and goes with them in place. ..."

Thanks for the review of the pegs. Did you have to remove the tupperware to install the pegs? I really don't care to do that.

Thanks.

I'd be willing to wait for the guards and pegs.....but I'd really like the pegs.....or something to let me stretch my legs occasionally. I tend to get cramps when I spend long days in the saddle if I don't squirm around and change positions occasionally. I've got a longish tour coming up in April.....and thinking I need something by then. I rented a R1200GS last fall, it had some sort of engine guards, but no pegs. But I was able to rest my feet, for just a minute or two on the guards and that helped a lot. So an engine guard alone might be okay if it appeared I could do the same. If that did not work, I could surely add some generic 1" clamps and pegs later........

Mine is the Midnight Blue.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Deek

I think I did for the installation. There is a fairly hefty torque on the aft screw....50 ish ft lbs maybe?

The tupperware, like all, is hard the first couple of times. There is a youtube video that does it quite clearly.

Maybe save it for the 600 mile service if you do it yourself.

safe rides!

Good suggestion.

Coupling add ons with service can usually reduce cost for customer.

We would generally put some on for free unless it involved wiring.

Enjoy the new bike.

I'll second the suggestion for the Iliums and no engine guard needed. I tested the theory in some loose gravel at zero MPH in a parking lot. A small mark on highway peg. Nothing else.

They're well made and comfy on the highway. A secondary benefit is that when you get your legs outside the fairing it channels some air to your seat area.

I might do that.....I already have some installs planned for the first service. I'm not much good at doing those things anymore.....old age and laziness are a significant combination!

Archived