IGNORED

Corrosion on Tranny Input Splines...(the saga continues)

bmweerman

Guys I really am going to get this bike back together in time for DVD...however I have a couple more pix I'd like your input on.

All the splines so far have looked really good!

Just got the tranny pulled last night though and this is the situation.

50996903-M.jpg

50996907-M.jpg

Those splines still feel nic3 and sharp and seen to lock up ok...but that is a lot of corrosion.

What thinks y'all about the next move?

TIA

Cameron

You should change your name to Marathon Man as this clutch job just won't quit! If the splines are good, clean 'em, lube 'em and get the job done. With all this experience you have you won't have any problem doing the timely spline lube in the future to prevent the rust.

With the amount of corrision on the shaft, you will be very pleased at the difference in the clutch action when it's back together. Did you notice that clutch was notchy and/or stiff before the work?

russell_bynum

I would tend to agree with edgarr. Clean everything up real well, inspect the splines again when they're nice and clean, then if everything still looks OK, lube it and put it all back together. Be sure to clean the pushrod as well...that looks kinda nasty. eek.gif

I'd like to see an in close photo of the input shaft after you have cleaned it up to draw a really good conclusion.

BTW, be sure to pull that clutch push rod before re-installing the tranny to avoid easily bending it. (It really should have came out the back before removing the tranny, but it's a bit late for that!) Once you pull it roll in around on a good flat surface to verify it is still straight.

From several other posts it seems random manufactured alignment errors are the cause of spline failures.

The corrosion is probably stress corrosion, and is not due to externally caused corrosion. It is caused by there being some working or fretting within the spline coupled with a breakdown of the original lube. Be sure to use the proper lubricant well distributed on reassembly.

Apparently you have only an average alignment error between your engine and the transmission.

I'm with Ken. Clean them up then lets see close up photos of the input splines and the clutch disc splines (if your going to reuse it).

Stan

Actually have new clutch disk to install...but would love to have your input on the splines!...Will be hard at it after work today...will post pix ASAP!!

And thanks to all!!!!

russell_bynum

BTW, be sure to pull that clutch push rod before re-installing the tranny to avoid easily bending it. (It really should have came out the back before removing the tranny, but it's a bit late for that!) Once you pull it roll in around on a good flat surface to verify it is still straight.

You can leave the pushrod in place...just be really careful when sliding the transmission back into place and be sure to use the guide pins (or whatever they're called) to keep the pushrod from bearing load.

It's probably not a bad idea to take the whole throwout bearing/pushrod out just to clean/inspect it, but you can put it all back together with the pushrod in place.

Well...about 5 minutes once I got the bike apart and got the guide pins and all that.

About 3 weeks if you count getting the bike apart... eek.gifdopeslap.gif

They don't call me Marathon Man for nothing grin.giftongue.gif

russell_bynum
hi cameron

how long did it take you to pull the tranny .

regards

derek

If you're roughly familiar with the procedure and know what tools you need, a spline lube/clutch replacement can be done in a day. I think the fastest I've ever heard was Sean Daly went from a fully assembled bike with tupperware and everything to the transmission removed and sitting on the workbench in something silly like 90 minutes. Most of us mortals will take longer than that, though. smile.gif

know what tools you need

That...for me...was the kicker!!

I've spent more time and money hunting down and buying tools than anything else...There's all that obscure stuff one needs like the guidepins for the tranny...

I think I'm going to make a list of everything one needs to do this project for other newbies like me to look at before they begin...that would have made tha job go a lot faster!

Oh yeah and if I had quit my job and divorced my family that would have made it go faster too....hmmmmmmmm grin.gifeek.gifdopeslap.gif

the fastest I've ever heard was Sean Daly went from a fully assembled bike with tupperware and everything to the transmission removed and sitting on the workbench in something silly like 90 minutes.

THAT's AWESOME

I would pay real money to see something like that!!

GEE LIGHTING RESPONSE.

I am quite intimate with the working of the rt1100 but i have never pulled the tranny before so perhaps we can comparenotes when i start mine.

Who knows if i scratch my head for long enough i just might get a splinter. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

regards

derek

russell_bynum
the fastest I've ever heard was Sean Daly went from a fully assembled bike with tupperware and everything to the transmission removed and sitting on the workbench in something silly like 90 minutes.

THAT's AWESOME

I would pay real money to see something like that!!

He had just done the job (dismantled the bike and completely rebuilt the transmission due to failed input shaft splines), but when he got it back together, the input shaft seal was leaking. Of course, he didn't discover this until it was all put back together.

So...he had the advantage of having the procedure fresh in his mind...what tools were needed, etc.

It's also a fairly well known fact that Sean is not entirely human. thumbsup.gif

perhaps we can comparenotes when i start mine.

Anytime!

Who knows if i scratch my head for long enough i just might get a splinter

Now that's funny!! clap.gif

You can leave the pushrod in place...just be really careful when sliding the transmission back into place and be sure to use the guide pins (or whatever they're called) to keep the pushrod from bearing load.
Cameron,

I have a clutch alignment tool. If we were meeting for coffee, I could loan it to you. wink.gif Really though, give me a call, since I still don't know where you live, and I will get it to you. tongue.gif

I have a clutch alignment tool. If we were meeting for coffee, I could loan it to you. wink.gif

Motorcycle repair, riding events, and now internet dating! This place is awesome.

Actually you don't need one at all.

Instead of trying to figure where the center of the disc goes in that big hole, look at the outside edge of the disc and position it so that there is a equal amount of pressure plate exposed all the way around. Since this is only a few mm it is much easier to measure.

Stan

Here's the pix of the input splines cleaned up and I have a new clutch plate...seem to mate up well...What do you think Stan?

51096551-M.jpg

51096554-M.jpg

51096557-M.jpg

They look fine to me. Grease them up and put it back together.

That shouldn't take more than another two or three weeks, should it? smile.gif

Stan

Nice Job so far, Im going to be getting in to the same job in about another month smirk.gif.

I would like to see a newbie list from those who are no longer a Spline Lube Virgin eek.gif

DaveyMac

I would like to see a newbie list from those who are no longer a Spline Lube Virgin

You're the second person to say that so I will do it!

Thanks again to everybody for their help and input!! clap.gif

hi mate i don,t think splinters are funny , but ive got this nasty habit of forgetting and i keep scratching the really wooden parts .

I will let you know the progress as soon as i start the task

(after ive had all of the splinters removed and i got that many they will have to do it under anaesthetic.)

regards

derek

Thanks Stan and Russell...I'm all over it. Hopefully next time you hear from me I will be sending you a pic of Black Beauty restored to her former glory!!!

Take Care!

Cameron

Archived