IGNORED

2009 RT: Weird BC Behavior

Since fuel system issues seems to be the fad around here, I'll add mine as well.

I recently noticed after filling up the fuel level goes up as usual but the remaining range on the BC stays the same (say 50km) for a while and then starts to go up slowly in 1km increments. It usually takes about 50km to see remaining range arrive where it should. Afterwards it works as specified.

It did this once when the bike was one year old and didn't pay too much attention, but in the last three months it started doing this every other fuel tank.

Not a major problem but a small annoyance nonetheless: I like everything on the bike to work as specified.

I don't know when I'll be able to take the bike in to have it hooked to the dealer's diagnostics (maybe this week, maybe the next) so any help/suggestion is appreciated.

Paul In Australia

Mine has done that for 4 years. Doesnt take 50 km but does take some time. I thought that was simply a limitation of design. Doesnt phase me at all

Regards

Paul

Morning Kakugo

The (actual) fuel mileage you are getting over a given period is needed to calculate the remaining range so that can take some riding time (km) if you re-set all the computer memories.

I noticed my 09 RT doing the same thing since after the first replacement fuel strip install. Not sure if it was doing that before the new fuel strip was installed but when the bike was hooked to the BMW diagnostic computer it forced a few software/firmware updates so maybe that was part of the change.

Things that can effect, or (for a time) significantly lower, the remaining range are: If you fill the tank, zero the fuel mileage computer, then sit with the engine running adjusting riding gear, playing with the GPS, or just waiting to pull out into traffic.

You have traveled a VERY short distance (or no distance at all) but with the engine running you are getting 0 km to the liter so the fuel mileage computer doesn't have a useful (km per liter) base to figure from. Once you start riding the computer then takes some km's of riding to settle down & have accurate data to figure the remaining range from.

Morning Kakugo

The (actual) fuel mileage you are getting over a given period is needed to calculate the remaining range so that can take some riding time (km) if you re-set all the computer memories.

I noticed my 09 RT doing the same thing since after the first replacement fuel strip install. Not sure if it was doing that before the new fuel strip was installed but when the bike was hooked to the BMW diagnostic computer it forced a few software/firmware updates so maybe that was part of the change.

Things that can effect, or (for a time) significantly lower, the remaining range are: If you fill the tank, zero the fuel mileage computer, then sit with the engine running adjusting riding gear, playing with the GPS, or just waiting to pull out into traffic.

You have traveled a VERY short distance (or no distance at all) but with the engine running you are getting 0 km to the liter so the fuel mileage computer doesn't have a useful (km per liter) base to figure from. Once you start riding the computer then takes some km's of riding to settle down & have accurate data to figure the remaining range from.

Thanks DR. The bike is still on the original fuel strip and the blasted thing appears to be working well (fingers crossed).

I confess I rarely (if ever) reset the fuel mileage computer.

It appears to be the same as Paul's bike: for whatever reason the bike is just doing it and it doesn't seem to affect operations.

I'll drop in at the dealer when I have a minute (it's five miles away) and see what's their take on this.

Again thanks a lot.

I too, have the same issue on my RT with the very slow miles to empty issue calculation..(remaining range)..(at times)

BUT, it is hit-or-miss; I have noticed an extremely quick calculation and other times the slow calculation, i.e. I may have to ride 10-20 or miles before it seems to be "correct". I read DR's theories as to why.. but I'm not convinced, it seems to just be "quirky".

I still have the original strip on mine, FWIW. 2010 r12rt

Morning Kakugo

Just a thought-- You might try re-setting your computer functions at fuel fill up.

Early on in the 1200RT evolution there were reported strange behavior of the fuel computer if the miles got to a high enough count without re-setting.

---it is hit-or-miss; I have noticed an extremely quick calculation and other times the slow calculation, i.e. I may have to ride 10-20 or miles before it seems to be "correct". ---

Morning Phil

Try to take note in the future if the update is better if you quickly ride off & maintain speed after a fuel fill up or if it is worse if you have to wait idling to get out into traffic or get caught at a stop light quickly after re-fueling.

Morning Kakugo

Just a thought-- You might try re-setting your computer functions at fuel fill up.

Early on in the 1200RT evolution there were reported strange behavior of the fuel computer if the miles got to a high enough count without re-setting.

Easy and won't cost a dime.

Thanks, will try that.

Archived