IGNORED

Development of the new BMW R 1200 GS

TEWKS

If you can excuse the old Godzilla movie voice dub trick, it's not a bad thirteen minutes on the new GS. Seems, if true, they picked a team with a long GS history.

(ADV)

Pat

Ayup! :thumbsup: It usually takes me a bit to catch up with BMW's designers, can't find much I don't like about this one.

So what color did Scott order? :lurk:

Pat

Ayup! :thumbsup: It usually takes me a bit to catch up with BMW's designers, can't find much I don't like about this one.

Pat

Triple Black, he's hoping to bring it the UN.

Ok hold the presses! If they offer the new version in Triple Black, I may need a Lawyer! :grin:

Pat

Hey Tewks, how ya doing? Which bike ya bringing to Helen?

The colors on the Motorrad website are: red, white, blue, thunder gray, I could not find triple black but may have missed it.

"As a travel enduro for highly active riding and featuring innovative technology, its colouring deliberately includes contrasts and a dynamic , very light effect. The four main colours to choose from for the body - Alpine White, Racing Red, Blue Fire and Thunder Grey Metallic - provide a fascinating contrast with the silver engine housing and frame."

No lawyer necessary.

Be safe

Terry

Hey Tewks, how ya doing? Which bike ya bringing to Helen?

No lawyer necessary.

Be safe

Terry

Hey Terry, :wave: I've been good! Have to budget my remaining vacation days so we will see.

BTW, does your wife have a sister? :rofl:

Pat

Pat

I thought that is what Scott said, I could be wrong. I'm afraid if I research colors I'll make a purchase. Still have to make 100,000 on 05 before I purchase of water cooled version. next year

Yeah, I don't know if they will offer one all blacked out. I have a weakness for the blacked out wheels is all. Weird I know but I'm used to it! :grin:

Pat

I had the opportunity to see it first hand, sat on it, and felt if you will, they actually had the '12 sitteing beside the new. '13. In my opinion the 2012 just seemed more substantial.

I worry about the cooling ports being exposed as they are at each side, also as how the radiator positioned and exposed, just did not make much seance. Oil filler is on the right and so is the view glass...I guess OK, but a bit odd to have it on the high side of the bike (high side while while parked using the side stand). Handle bar control are different, not at all what I expected, and the GPS controls are integrated to the left side. I won't bitch about the traditional signal actuators but the light actuator is set in back of the grip...just odd but there you have it. I actually give it the thumb up on the oil filter location and position. No more taking off the armored plate (yeay).

On the center stand the bike seemed front heavy. The reason seems to be ... The centr stand in a bit farther from the engine towards the ear wheel thus feels heavier, but I actual the bike is lighter once on two wheels.

The show did not have the bike fitted with begs so nothing to report, the screen is adjustable via a knob (nice touch and well waited for).

That all I got, nice, but may need some tweaks, and I'm sure BMW and the consumer will find them. One last thing... I am guessing aftermarket parts and accessories are in a catchup mood, so patience I guess.

Been wondering if there was a thread about the new ‘water head’ somewhere that I missed.

Looked one over closely at the MC show a couple of weekends ago. Overall I liked what I saw with one big glaring exception. It seems that with the new tank/airbox in front of you there is much less rider front to back seating room now. By rough approximation comparing to a current gen sitting next to it, I’d say front edge to back the rider’ seat is only about 75% or that if the prior gen. The pillion space seems about the same but when Donna and I sat on it, it was noticeable that I was much more crowding her than on our current ’05.

Trying to put it tactfully – I can’t imagine how many riders with more impressive girths will ever fit on the thing.

Plus the new tank/airbox area is so tall I can’t imagine putting a tank bag on top of it.

Real disappointment in that respect. With a longer wheelbase now it seems inexcusable to provide less rider space than before.

(Donna was quite happy that I didn’t like to though as she was over drooling over the K1600GTL.)

Archived