IGNORED

The RT is too big and heavy for me until my shoulder heals

russell_bynum

russell_bynum

...luckily I have a fully functional K75 to ride. smile.gif

That's right, Lisa's K75 "Charlie" that I crashed in October is back on the road. Over the last few months, I've been acquiring parts from various dealerships, and from eBay. Last weekend, I made a lap around the block and that went well, but there was still more to do. This week, I've been messing with it, getting the fairing brackets straightened and the fairing resinstalled, etc.

Last night at 10:20, things finally came together and I just couldn't resist the urge to go for a ride.

Heading out of the neighborhood, I took it very easy. Every imperfection in the road felt very pronounced and I wasn't comfortable at all. So I went to a parking lot and worked the bike until I felt better. Stopping, tight turns, braking until the rear wheel locks, etc.

With that out of the way, I headed for Live Oak Canyon. Live Oak is a decent twisty road, but it's tough to hoon in the daytime because there are lots of houses along the road. At night, all the residents are inside and you can up the speed. There is a canopy of trees that blocks almost all outside light, so all you see is the double-yellow snaking away in front of you, illuminated by your headlight. There's a 35mph speed limit and I typically go through at around 55-60 on the RT or 70 if I'm REALLY hooning.

I rolled into the first turn at 45. I wasn't happy with my line, so I tried to adjust...and was reminded that I wasn't on the RT with it's super-forgiving suspension. Nothing major happened, but I got a wobble that the RT would not have done. I blew the next 3 corners the same way. So I stopped, pulled a U-turn and went back to do it again. This time, in at 40. Much better. On the gas...stay on the gas...wooooooohooooooooooo!!!! I forgot how silky smooth the K's power comes on. It really rewards you for getting into the gas early and staying in it through the corner. 4 turns later, I'm rolling in at 55 and exiting at 60-65.

I got to the end of the road (the popular biker hangout "Cook's Corner", pulled another U and ran it the other way. Fun fun fun fun fun fun fun. smile.gif

I made my way back home and pulled Charlie into the garage next to the RT. I shut down and enjoyed the sound of the catalytic converter crackling as it cooled.

Just a short ride...22 miles in the middle of the night. A nice canyon run and some cruising on the empty streets. Everything worked perfectly.

Charlie's back.

"Charlie's Back"

Sounds so good!

Russell's Back Too

It amazes me what you went through and how you shared it with everyone. You are quite resilient Mr. Bynum.

russell_bynum

You are quite resilient Mr. Bynum.

Well, that's one way to look at it. Or you could consider that, after Laney's Tech Daze, Lisa said something to the effect of "Fix my effin motorcycle so I can ride to Torrey, you dweeb." shocked.gif

Yes Ma'am. wink.gif

You know what I found strange? I was very nervous about riding it. Dumb, huh? I jumped on the RT 2 weeks after the crash...as soon as I could get my gear on and reach the bars without searing pain in my shoulder. I did all my standard drills to make sure I was OK, and I was.

Then I jump on the K and I'm affraid of going around corners, affraid of the brakes, affraid of the suspension, etc. The good news is, that was short-lived. The parking lot drills helped, then Live Oak got me back into the groove. By the time I hit the big 60mph surface street coming home, I was grinning ear to ear and loving the electric-motor smooth acceleration and the quick handling afforded by those wide bars. I forgot how much fun Charlie was to ride.

Also...I'm begining to think that everyone who owns a modern BMW with telelever/paralever should also own a bike with conventional suspension. The RT doesn't even tell you that you've done something stupid...it just deals with the problem and sends you on your merry way. The K75 (and other bikes with normal suspension) say "HEY! Don't come off the throttle in the middle of a turn like that!" It's not a violent or unforgiving bike, but it does tell you when you screw up.

I plan on riding Charlie for a while now to help refine my riding and hopefully eliminate some of these mistakes that the RT totally covers.

I had the same nervousness after laying down my RT. I think everyone does until you regain confidence in that particular machine.

And I agree about riding different bikes for the same reason. It's good to have a bike that takes care of you, but good also to not need it.

Or you could consider that, after Laney's Tech Daze, Lisa said something to the effect of "Fix my effin motorcycle so I can ride to Torrey, you dweeb." shocked.gif

Yes Ma'am. wink.gif

grin.gif

Good for you, good for Charlie, good for Lisa.

Keep on mending, and watch out for cats! wink.gif

That's funny Russell, I don't recall the RT being to big and heavy for you as you spanked me down the mountain in DV. confused.gif Fact is, you ride it like it's lifted even with a bum shoulder. cool.gif

Glad the K is back. See ya soon we hope.

russell_bynum

That's funny Russell, I don't recall the RT being to big and heavy for you as you spanked me down the mountain in DV. Fact is, you ride it like it's lifted even with a bum shoulder.

Well, thanks for the compliment! That was an awesome ride that day...chasin' Arizona Al (HOON) and his KRS down the hill with that Macarena Red RT of yours glued to my Six. WOOHOO!

But...the bum shoulder is new. Short story...2 weeks ago, I tripped over the cat and went down the stairs. No biggie except that I caught myself with my right hand and popped that shoulder back out.

But...in truth, this time it's healing VERY fast, so the title of this post was more for effect than anything else.

Hey, don't be such a stranger...I miss you hangin' around here all the time givin me crap about everything. How's that little hottie you tricked into marrying you? wink.gif

Also...I'm beginning to think that everyone who owns a modern BMW with telelever/paralever should also own a bike with conventional suspension. The RT doesn't even tell you that you've done something stupid...it just deals with the problem and sends you on your merry way.

Amen, brother! Besides just having a different kind of ride available, it's another really good reason I haven't and probably won't be selling HalfPint (the bike - Honda CX500 Deluxe) anytime soon. It reminds me of all the 'real' forces involved in riding.

I feel like I can breathe a sigh of relief now that Charlie's all fixed. It helps to close the chapter of your 'bounce' experience. I do hope that the shoulder is on the mend... I was hoping it would be farther along than it sounds in your post. Let us all know when we can close that chapter too, OK?

Take care- and be careful for cryin' out loud! wink.gif

I don't think we need to rename Charlie, Lazarus or anything... Besides, Lisa would be very upset with you. blush.gif

Dude be careful with that shoulder. Each time it dislocates it makes it easier to dislocate the next time. There's a couple of guys I worked with that got medically retired because it kept dislocating. Each time getting easier and easier to pop out. I dislocated a hip so I know its a pain in the ass, but let that thing heal.

PeterScottNJ

All I've got to say is take care of it. My brother had a dislocated shoulder, didn't take care of it and found out what Brian said about it being easier and easier to dislocate. He's a big - 6' 7" and about 260 or so, but his ability to do "heavy lifting" is that of a much smaller person because of it.

Besides, I'm looking forward to catching up to you at meeting points in October grin.gif Stay healthy

...you could consider that, after Laney's Tech Daze, Lisa said something to the effect of "Fix my effin motorcycle so I can ride to Torrey, you dweeb."

Thanks for the sanitized version of that, "Mr. Resiliency"

Also...I'm begining to think that everyone who owns a modern BMW with telelever/paralever should also own a bike with conventional suspension.

HO HO HO! Anybody else see where THIS is going???? "Um, Angel? I need to buy a different motorcycle to help me ride the RT better."

Yah, sure... Lisa will buy that line! wink.gif

A word of advice: You might want to dump that "Go 'Busa, Go!!!" from your sig for a while, or we might find out just how easily that shoulder can get re-dislocated...

On a serious note, these guys ain't kidding, Bounce... and I've nagged you about the same thing. Let that shoulder heal or you'll be heading for the scrap heap before you know it. I made the mistake of pushing my shoulder rehab too soon, and suddenly I look and feel a lot older than 29!!! shocked.giflaugh.gifshocked.gif

russell_bynum

Let that shoulder heal or you'll be heading for the scrap heap before you know it.

Yes mommy. smile.gif

Seriously...I'm taking it easy. I've been to the doctor and the ortho. PT just got approved by the insurance trolls. In the meantime, I'm not pushing it and if something hurts...I don't do it. I'm doing some gentle range of motion exercises (per the ortho's recommendation) and some very light resistance work.

Trust me, I'm not in any hurry to pop it out again. You're not going to see me doing anything that puts any sudden strains on it until PT/ortho says I'm 100%. Riding the motorcycle doesn't put any extra stress on it as far as I can tell, so I'm gonna do that unless I'm told otherwise. smile.gif

Um, Angel? I need to buy a different motorcycle to help me ride the RT better."

Yeah...her answer will be "Shut up and ride the K75." frown.gif

wink.gif

PhillyFlash
That was an awesome ride that day...chasin' Arizona Al (HOON) and his KRS down the hill with that Macarena Red RT of yours glued to my Six. WOOHOO!

Ah, yes, the ride back down the mountain. A ride I won't soon forget. frown.gif

russell_bynum

Ah, yes, the ride back down the mountain. A ride I won't soon forget.

Well dood, I gotta say that as awesome as it was chasin Al down the hill (and throwin' a pass on you in that truck) with Gleno on my six...I enjoyed the ride to that point even more. Comming down the mountain into the Valley...with that awesome banked sweeper....the 130+mph blast across the valley floor (is that a cop....that might be a cop....does that look like a cop?). Then chasing you back up the tight stuff going up the hill.

That was one awesome ride. smile.gifcool.gif

And you know we're going to finish that ride next year!

Howard, does that mean you're going to get a GS so we can ride out to the viewpoint? wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

PhillyFlash

Nah. If I have another RT I'll just keep the speed above 30 mph. More stable that way. I never should have slowed down. grin.gif

Archived