IGNORED

Bleeding Brakes

faster pastor

faster pastor

I think I know the answer..but don't want to a make an needless mistake. I have the bike stripped to replace belt etc..the bike is a 1999 R1100RT with ABS.. Going to bleed through to replace fluid..front and back. Can I do all the bleeding at the calipers front and back or do I need to bleed at ABS system as well??

Thanks

Faster Pastor :Cool:

Recently replaced brake lines on my 2000 which hadn't had working ABS for quite some time. Always just bled from the calipers. After bleeding the controller and performing an ABS reset, ABS started working again.

In the future, I will bleed calipers and controller anually. I always do bleeds the first week in September which was when I bought the bike. Makes it easy to remember.

Dean

I think I know the answer..but don't want to a make an needless mistake. I have the bike stripped to replace belt etc..the bike is a 1999 R1100RT with ABS.. Going to bleed through to replace fluid..front and back. Can I do all the bleeding at the calipers front and back or do I need to bleed at ABS system as well??

Thanks

If '99RT is same as '96RT then you can bleed just from the calipers, that's what i have been doing. But since you have the bike stripped, you can also bleed the ABS controller, heard that stuff can accumulate in there over time. I might try that myself these days, kind of curious what will come out :)

Cheers

schneeman

I would bleed the ABS while you are in there.

Don't for get to push the pistons all the way back in the front calipers and block them back while bleeding. I use plastic shims you can find at any Home Depot for the blocking.

You may want to draw off a little brake fluid from the reservoir before pushing in the pistons. And you'll need to check the level after you've finished bleeding, mounted the calipers and reset the pads against the brake discs.

One last thing; use short strokes while bleeding the front brakes. The master cylinder seal can sometimes be damaged when pulling the lever all the way to the bar over and over again.

Cheers!

Don't forget to pump them up once everything is done. You don't want to find out you forgot this step when you roll up to the first stop sign after leaving the garage. :P

Don't forget to pump them up once everything is done. You don't want to find out you forgot this step when you roll up to the first stop sign after leaving the garage. :P

Oh yeah, that is definately a "oh sheat" feeling!

thank you guys..love these forums...let's see turkey baster..funnel..etc... :dopeslap:

That sounds like the 1150 "whizzy" brakes kit, your 1100 is much simpler to do. Just a normal bleed - but I echo the sentiments about including the ABS bleed poits as you already have the tank off.

Andy

faster pastor

Thanks again everyone..the thread can fade away...going to change the pads..press the pistons all the way in..start bleeding...

Faster Pastor :wave:

Thanks

If '99RT is same as '96RT then you can bleed just from the calipers, that's what i have been doing. But since you have the bike stripped, you can also bleed the ABS controller, heard that stuff can accumulate in there over time. I might try that myself these days, kind of curious what will come out :)

Cheers

schneeman

I have done it 3 times. Each time I use a clear hose and get most of the crap out of the controller. The fluid is almost black at first, then after a pump or two the fluid runs clear.

Its a brake fluid Flush, so new in the master till it comes out at the controller, then until it comes new fluid out each caliper. Same for the rear.

Enjoy

David

I also bleed my brakes but I do it every 4 YEARS. My old fluid is fairly clear with little water in it. My 32 year old pickup is also bled every 4 years and has all the original brake parts on it except for pads. I think bleeding it more often is a good deal for the fluid manufacturers and repair shops. But do whatever makes you happy.

I also bleed my brakes but I do it every 4 YEARS. My old fluid is fairly clear with little water in it. My 32 year old pickup is also bled every 4 years and has all the original brake parts on it except for pads. I think bleeding it more often is a good deal for the fluid manufacturers and repair shops. But do whatever makes you happy.

I am afraid I can't agree with you on this one. I change the brake fluid on my bike once a year (~ 20k kms)

IMHO this is very important for the ABS system. When it will fail on your bike, you will realize why :)

Agreed that for non-ABS vehicles, a bigger interval between changes is OK, but for my bike, it's part of the riding season opening siesta :)

Dan.

I'm with you Dan.

We have very high humidity around here and brake fluid is hygroscopic.

Cost analysis of service annually versus failure due to

ickyness?

YMMV

Archived