IGNORED

Cherohala Skyway closed

Paul Mihalka

Saw that on my "Friends" facebook. One of the very few times that FB was of use...

of course, its useful if you want to see yours truly clean shaven with a beard. :dopeslap:

:eek:

i-SCR3hNq-XL.gif

The collapsed roadway is located about one-tenth of a mile west of the Stratton Meadow Bridge, approximately a mile from the Tennessee state line.

Hard to imagine such a major slide on that road. Likely will not be repaired before our April HeleN Back but would suspect it will be open by the UN.

A different road, section closed, in the Smokies.........

January 16, 2013: Landslide Closes Newfound Gap Road

Great Smoky Mountains National Park has closed Newfound Gap Road (U.S. 441) due to a landslide on the North Carolina side which undercut the road near mile marker 22 between Collins Creeks and Webb Overlook at 9:40 am. The slide is estimated to be a 200 foot section of road extending 1000 foot down slope, but the full extent of the damage is not yet known. The closure is expected to be in effect for an extended period of time.

LINK to article

i-Z3RrJWL-XL.jpg

i-VM7NZfb-XL.jpg

If you're on a GS or similar, might be a good time to ride the dirt Cherohala (Old Santeetlah/River Rd.) It parallels the Cherohala to Tellico Plains, crossing it at the NC/TN border. It's very pretty, mostly following the river except where it climbs up at the halfway point.

google maps

If you're on a GS or similar, might be a good time to ride the dirt Cherohala (Old Santeetlah/River Rd.) It parallels the Cherohala to Tellico Plains, crossing it at the NC/TN border. It's very pretty, mostly following the river except where it climbs up at the halfway point.

google maps

Thank you for that Bill. I had heard of the "dirt Cherohaha", but didn't know exactly where it was. I'll add that to the route next time I'm in the vicinity

my thanks as well. I might trailer my BMW G 450X to Robbinsville and ride the route out, eat lunch in Tellico, then ride back. Looks like about 70 mile trip one way. G450X gets about 90 miles to a tank. So fill up at start, then again in Tellico

Joe Frickin' Friday

Are they going to leave the skyway open on both sides up until near the slide, or will they be closing the road miles away? Given that the slide is near the TN border, it would be nice to be able to start in Tellico Plains and ride that far, then return to TC before heading off somewhere else.

Lone_RT_rider
Are they going to leave the skyway open on both sides up until near the slide, or will they be closing the road miles away? Given that the slide is near the TN border, it would be nice to be able to start in Tellico Plains and ride that far, then return to TC before heading off somewhere else.

My thoughts exactly. Ride up 68 to the skyway. blast up and down and then peal off to 39 and slide down 315 to 64. *drool* :grin:

Bill,

GTable?

The east side of dirt Cherohala I'd say yes, it's maintained hard-pack and is mostly 2 lanes wide, one and a half in a few spots, and may be the prettiest part where it runs along the river. The west side probably is too but has more curves and switchbacks with some pebbles on the surface, not too bad though. The stuff between Helen and Robbinsville probably not, it's more DS territory.

Archived