IGNORED

1150RT or 1200RT?

hitechcpa

I currently own an '02 K12RS and want to get something that I can take out for extended rides. Am debating a used '04 1150RT or an '05 12RT. I like the '04 1150RT since it has dual plugs and appears to correct any surging problems. The 12RT has cruise and the trip computer, but adding a throttlemeister to the 1150 is acceptable to me to replace the cruise. Performance may be better on the 12RT, but that is probably negligible. I think the 12RT is nicer to look at, but the 1150 aint bad and a lot cheaper. Any thoughts from you?

When i was new bike shopping, i went and test rode a 1150 and test rode 1200, bought 1200, love it. To me it was like night and day, didn't even have to think about it. I came off of a K1200LT.

I currently own an '02 K12RS and want to get something that I can take out for extended rides. Am debating a used '04 1150RT or an '05 12RT. I like the '04 1150RT since it has dual plugs and appears to correct any surging problems. The 12RT has cruise and the trip computer, but adding a throttlemeister to the 1150 is acceptable to me to replace the cruise. Performance may be better on the 12RT, but that is probably negligible. I think the 12RT is nicer to look at, but the 1150 aint bad and a lot cheaper. Any thoughts from you?

I'd have to agree with Tcreek. To me it was no contest. The R12RT won hands down on many levels. I came off an 03 K1200GT (basically the same bike as your RS with a few more built in goodies). Before the R12RT I didn't think any R bike would ever get me off a K bike. I was wrong.

I've had an 1150RT and 1150GS. The 1200RT is much lighter feeling and more responisve than the 1150RT. I was surprised by the difference. Nothing wrong with the 1150RT, it's just not nearly as sporty feeling. After I get an aftermarket seat (necessary for me on the 1200, not so on the 1150), I suspect I'll never look back. To be fair, I found a used 1200RT -- the price tag for the new 1200RT is mighty steep.

I made the jump from an '04 KRS to an '06 1200RT. Although the RT doesn't have the KRS' smooth high end acceleration, its lighter weight and lower center of gravity make it a much better handling bike - especially in tight and slow-speed situations. You'll also find that it's far easier to flick through the twisties - along with better gas mileage. At the end of the day, I can ride the RT faster and longer than I could the KRS.

I can't objectively comment on the 1150 vs 1200 question, but I can say without a doubt that I made the right choice in moving from the KRS to the RT. (If I ever get the fever for another i4 bike, I'll probably be going Japanese - but I'll keep my boxer.)

I had a 2002 RT, and a 1999 before it. I took a test drive on the new 1200 when I was in for a maintenance check on the 2002. The test ride was over in about 60 seconds after I felt the engine and especially the new transmission. The difference, especially considering cruise control, made me an instant convert. I rode home from my 1150 inspection on a new 1200RT. Faster, smoother, better mileage, etc..

I've posted my experience earlier, but can't miss another oppurtunity.

In 2001 I entered the sport touring market. I've been a Honda guy pretty much ALL my life. (1969) I quickly narrowed my picks to the 1100RT and the ST1100. I spent time test riding the RT, I liked the look and feel, but just could not get pass the boxer engine, and transmission. My Honda bias was probably factored in the purchase.

I bought the ST and quickly put 96k miles on it in 2.5 years, then upgraded to the 1300 spring of 2004.

Fast forward to 2005 and a test ride on the NEW RT. My first ride told me this was an entirely different bike than the unit I tested in 2001, but I was still in denial.

I went back again a few weeks later, and took another, as if the first ride was some kind of fluke. It confirmed BMW solved every issue I had with the 1100 series. The power, smoothness at highway speed, and the slicker transmission were for real. It had lots of do dads and gadgets (I like stuff like that) well thought out, and functional.

Even with my Honda bias, I had to accept the fact, the 1200RT was a great bike, and just as good as the Honda ST 1300, and better in many areas. I traded my beloved ST 1100 on the bike, to compliment my 1300.

The point of my post is this. The bike brought me in the fold even with my predisposition to Honda, and my KNOWN dislike for boxer motors and the 1100 series. Going into the test ride, I figured it was going to more of the same.

It proved me wrong. BMW upgraded the RT to a new level, I was impressed at how well they did their homework. For all their incompetence in many areas of marketing and mgt, they hit this pitch out of the park.

A smart guy somewhere in the chain of command realized to expand their base, some things had to be fixed. The loyalists were going to stay with BMW no matter what, but to find riders like me, they woulld have to bring what riders of Asian bikess take for granted. Good power, slick transmissions, and smooth motor. The only question left to be answered is the reliability issue. The jury is still out on that.

The 1200 is the better functional bike period. Not saying the 1100 series is bad, but the 1200 is that much better, and I voted with my wallet, to confirm my belief in that.

Archived