IGNORED

Outsourcing your own job

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Some people are not opposed to outsourcing American jobs overseas. In fact, one fellow was so unopposed to it that he outsourced his own job to China (for a measly 20% of his salary, allowing him to keep 80%) so he could watch cat videos all day long.

Here's the story.

If your job can be done from home, there's not much reason for it to not be outsourced to lower paid people.

As far as this guy goes, the company got their work done for the price they thought it was worth.

------

Nothing new here.

I was doing this before the internet. I would pawn my jobs off on other workers and then sit on my butt all day.

No cat videos, but newspapers and magazines worked very well. :thumbsup:

If your job can be done from home, there's not much reason for it to not be outsourced to lower paid people.

As far as this guy goes, the company got their work done for the price they thought it was worth.

------

They also got a malware file in their system that stole confidential information via the insecure and unapproved VPN link from the workers computer to China.

The story I read also stated he used this with five employers...

Andy

They were talking about this on a local radio station today. Apparently there is no end to websites where you can hook up with someone in the far east that will do your work for peanuts. I guess there's thousands of PhDs over there with nothing to do.

Hiring overseas workers to do the work while skimming a large portion of the profit off the top, resulting in questionable work outcomes and putting the company at risk. Here in the US, we call that 'Private Equity Investment'.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Can't wait for the story about the Outsourcing Contractor who outsourced Outsourcing. :rofl:

Can't think of a valid argument against it in a capitalistic society.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hiring overseas workers to do the work while skimming a large portion of the profit off the top, resulting in questionable work outcomes and putting the company at risk. Here in the US, we call that 'Private Equity Investment'.

Re: questionable work outcomes, the original Verizon case study had this to say:

Investigators had the opportunity to read through his performance reviews while working alongside HR. For the last several years in a row he received excellent remarks. His code was clean, well written, and submitted in a timely fashion. Quarter after quarter, his performance review noted him as the best developer in the building.

Apart from the unauthorized nature of the outsourcing, the main problem (admittedly a huge one) was the compromised security. It's pretty crazy that this guy thought it would be OK to physically mail his security key fob to China.

Archived