IGNORED

Need to replace my clothes dryer...

BULLman

and I'm not going to pay $1000 for a dryer.

Looking @ entry dryers. Its just me.

Any thoughts of Amana vs Whirlpool vs Roper (Lowes) vs Hotpoint (Home Depot) vs Kenmore

Leaning towards the Amana - Best Buy has them on Sale for $350.

May go used - $150???

Friend suggested buying on CraigsList - but,there is slim pickings right know.

Any thoughts???? Thanks for the help..

I've got a Maytag Centennial and it works just fine with all the bells and whistles. Got it at Lowes. I got it with a scratch cheap. I think it retails for about $350 as well.It has a nice BIG drum.

Also search google and the local papers for used appliance repair/sale shops. Lots of repair places will replace a unit, only to bring that unit to their shop for minor repair and resale.

We've gotten several appliances lately (oven, refrigerator, dishwasher) from Sears Outlet. We actually have two locations in our area, which seems ludicrous to me, but what the heck.

Name brands, some new, some scratch and dent, all priced well below anywhere else we looked. All three have not shown any issues thus far.

You wash your clothes?

;)

:wave:

I like simple/dials/manual inputs.

Hard to find but Sears has big sales, among other retailers.

Weirdly enough I got the best deal on a bright red washer dryer combo simply because nobody wanted to buy that color. I saw that it was marked down and asked why? When they told me I made them a still lower offer and they took it. It's always worth it to try a cash offer and see where it gets you.

If reliability is your concern, according to Consumer Reports survey data (my personal products bible) , most to least reliable:

LG

Samsung

Amana

Bosch

Kenmore

Whirlpool

Maytag

Frigidaire

GE

In their opinion the only 'bell & whistle' worth getting is one with a moisture sensor to prevent over running. Other than that there is little difference between them all.

Craig's is good if you can find someone who is moving. The only must have feature for me was a large drum.

I just reread my post. I guess I should have expanded on this.

The large drum is for the capacity to do larger loads and large items, but just as important is that the clothes seem to dry much faster when they are not tightly packed in a small drum.

Consumer Reports just listed the breakdown records of dryers in Feb issue.

Big question is electric versus gas. Gas will be very cheap in years to come due to fracking and that will be more of a difference than anything else.

Ben

Get something used at your local shop. Usually they have a warranty of some kind, and they're cheap enough that you don't need a warranty anyway. Lots of them are really not very old.

I recently bought a clothes drying rack like THIS. We use it for 80 - 90% of our drying needs. Works perfectly. Will never break down, and I put money into my retirement account every time I use it. :-)

We use the outdoor version of the rack and the rack on the colder days. There's nothing like laundry with that fresh outdoor smell, especially bedding. I can't remember when we've used our electric dryer to fully dry a load of laundry. If it gets used it's only to tumble wrinkles out before hanging the load.

Good luck with your search.

Consumer Reports just listed the breakdown records of dryers in Feb issue.

Big question is electric versus gas. Gas will be very cheap in years to come due to fracking and that will be more of a difference than anything else.

Ben

No Gas access.

Consumer Reports(my personal products bible).

In their opinion the only 'bell & whistle' worth getting is one with a moisture sensor to prevent over running. Other than that there is little difference between them all.

Oh hell yes. I have used them for years and never once regretted a choice made with their data. And saved a bunch of cash at the same time.

On the cost front, Most are at or over $1000 but there are two Kenmore models (8117 & 6800) that are listing at about $700 and rate very highly. A couple of LG models (DLE2240 & DLE2250) rate a tick lower and list at $800.

Edit: These are electric.

I don't have the moisture thing on mine and wouldn't make it deal breaker if your wash is similar to mine:

My dryer loads are very consistant and include only one of these items at a time: clothes, towels, or bedding . I quickly learned the correct timing for each.

Thanks for all the hints.

Ended up getting a Amanda at the Sears Outlet store and got it installed this morning. :thumbsup:

Let the washing begin :dopeslap:

Ended up getting a Amanda at the Sears Outlet store.

Um, what's the address and hours of that store? What kind of selection do they have? And can we get a picture of your Amanda? Also, do they have women with other names, maybe a Heather or Melissa? I can do the "installation" myself. (Wow, I haven't been this excited about washing in years!)

Ended up getting a Amanda at the Sears Outlet store.

Um, what's the address and hours of that store? What kind of selection do they have? And can we get a picture of your Amanda? Also, do they have women with other names, maybe a Heather or Melissa? I can do the "installation" myself. (Wow, I haven't been this excited about washing in years!)

Are the Amandas at the Outlet used or leftovers? I'm hoping I can find one that is in prime, unused condition.

"I'm hoping I can find one that is in prime, unused condition."

At the outlet store? I would expect the condition to be somewhat scratched and obsolete. May be a well used demo. :)

I've had good luck with Whirlpool washers and dryers; they offer products across a pretty broad price range. We bought a Whirlpool washer and dryer set a few years ago, and when we built our cabin we decided to go with the same brand because of our positive experiences with the brand.

I'd consider looking on Craigslist for new or nearly new dryers, also. There is typically a pretty good selection.

DaveTheAffable
...There's nothing like laundry with that fresh outdoor smell...

Ahhhh... agreed...

cannotBREATHE.jpg

Nothing like a "fresh" shirt in the morning here in Los Angeles. :rofl:

Ended up getting a Amanda at the Sears Outlet store and got it installed this morning.

Wow, you really can get ANYTHING at Sears. I wonder if the cops know about this....

Archived