IGNORED

Bearing R & R for swingarm

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

I'm going to replace a damaged 2005 swingarm with 92K miles due to a failed driveshaft with a lightly used 14K miles 2010 swingarm. My concern with the replacement is that the pivot bearing's inner bushings have more lateral movement than I feel is acceptable. Is that anything for me to be concerned? The rotating motion is smooth as it should be. Maybe lateral motion is a non-issue.

My old 92K mile swingarm has virtually no lateral bushing movement and they too are rotating smoothly. If I were to replace the swingarm bearings on this replacement swingarm what specific tools are necessary for removal and installation.

thanks in advance

I'd say replace them while you’re there. There shouldn't be much play.

No special tools are needed, it's just like any other bearing replacement. Heat the swing arm with a heat gun (the finish will take a fair amount of heat) to expand the area (you’ll cook the seals on the old ones in the process but who cares) then I use a 1/2“ steel rod from the opposite side to tap the bearing and race out. If the swing arm is hot enough they practically fall out.

Use the same approach to install the new. Heat the swing arm then use a big socket at a driver to tap in the new ones. You do have to work fast though because when the swing arm starts to cool and shrink they are firmly in place. It’s pretty easy to verify they are all the way in to their seats looking in with a light.

Other than that there’s not much to it.

Don't bother with the slide hammer contraption to remove the right hand pivot from the frame or any other weird contraption you might make up (DAMHIKTIJDOK) stick a bar in from the left hand side and tap it out! Much easier :-)

CoarsegoldKid

Like 10over said "pics would help". I know but I don't have them right now. I have a swingarm in my hand lets say. The rear of the swingarm connects to the FD. Forget that part. At the front of the swingarm there are bearing in the swingarm to move in harmony with the chassis. These bearings rotate on a pivot pins. Straight forward stuff. Easy removal of pivot pins on left or right. Ken says to heat up the casting and tap them from inside to outside with a long rod. I have an axle from a Kawasaki Z1 that will do the trick. I thought there might be a less brutish method of removing the bearings from the swingarm itself. Motion Pro said they didn't have anything for me, which I hardly believe. Be that as it may I'll practice on the old swingarm and tap them out.

When in doubt, change them out.

92K miles, and you've already got the bike a part? There is NO doubt - change out every bearing or seal "going in" and "going out". Or, did you want to repeat the whole process again next month?

There's nothing better than the solid feel of a bike with new bearings - heck new parts in general. :-)

Archived