IGNORED

Mapsource to Basecamp Conversion

hopz

I'm not even able to do simple things like drag part of a route to a new road. I mean I can do it, but I can't figure out how to delete the waypoints that were on the old stretch. I don't consider myself stupid--I do have a Ph.D. If I can't figure out how to do something this simple, Garmin's software designers were incompetent. I tried watching Garmin's instructional videos but they're comically useless. The only thing I can do is create routes in MapSource--which was designed by competent software engineers--and then import it into Base Camp.

Evening RockBottom

The easiest way to remove single or a few unneeded way points is to--

Go to top menu & click on select tool (up-arrow in box), then left click on waypoint to highlight, then right click & choose remove from "the list" you are working from. If you choose "delete" it will delete it from all lists. If that way point is used in other lists or used in routes in other lists don't use the delete command.

Evening RockBottom

The easiest way to remove single or a few unneeded way points is to--

Go to top menu & click on select tool (up-arrow in box), then left click on waypoint to highlight, then right click & choose remove from "the list" you are working from. If you choose "delete" it will delete it from all lists. If that way point is used in other lists or used in routes in other lists don't use the delete command.

And then recalculate the route. That's kind of my point--removing waypoints is a routine function. Garmin's software engineers made a routine function about 5X more complex in what was supposedly an improved software package. That seems to be true across functions. That's a fail.

Morning RockBottom

Yes, there are certain things that need to be worked on yet but every iteration of Base Camp gets better (well except the search function).

Personally, I don't see the waypoint removal as being that much of a hardship.

If you think removal is bad try moving one. Very easy to move the darn things BUT the waypoint retains the original position information. So if you move a waypoint from 100 main Street to 300 oak Street it still says & announces 100 main Street.

Afternoon Dirtrider. How do I e-mail a GPS file/list with BaseCamp?

It is no problem to attach it with MapSource to an e-mail, but I can't figure out how to do it in BaseCamp, any ideas.

Thank you.

...How do I e-mail a GPS file/list with BaseCamp?...

Here's how I do it using the Mac version of BC. I first click on the list, folder, route etc. in "My Collection" the left hand column (just to highlight it). Then I select "File/Export" from the menu. I then export the file (it's a GPX file) to my desktop. When I'm in my e-mail application I just attach the GPX file in my e-mail (finding it on my desktop). It's pretty straightforward; maybe the PC version is a little different.

Afternoon Bernie

Pretty close to Mark's Mac version.

In the very L/H lower pane of Base Camp-- first click on "show routes" (unless routes are already shown in lower L/H pane), then a single left click on the route to highlight the route you want to send, then in upper left corner click on "file", then left click on "export", then left click on "export selection", then pick the place you want to E-Mail it from (like desk top or other folder you normally use.

If you pick Export/ "then name of list that appears" that will export the entire list with all the routes in it so don't do that unless you want all the routes in that list exported.

Personally I routinely export ALL my created routes to a special named (remote) holding folder with sub folders for dates created & route type (such as dirt routes, local, special trip, etc) that way I have pristine unaltered routes saved as back up in case.

One of the bad things with Base Camp is a simple wrong click in deleting a waypoint or other POI can QUICKLY & EASILY delete that waypoint or POI from ALL routes even if in other Base Camp lists. If you ALSO store the routes in a separate non Base Camp related folder the routes in that folder won't be effected.

Added: OR, in Base Camp simply right click on the route you want to send (in lower L/H pane, then left click COPY, then open Map Source & paste into Map Source then send from there.

Thanks guys.

I got that to work. I can save my List as a .gpx file directly into my MapSource folder. Then just e-mail it like before with MapSource.

I like to send my GPS files to the guys that ride with me, this way if I break down or they get separated, they can find their way or enjoy the rest of the route/ride.

Archived