IGNORED

1200RT/Remus GP Full System LOUD

ebuzzmiller

I just got done installing a Remus full system on my 1200RT, and man, it is throaty! I had a choice between the Revolution can and the GP can, and I went GP - the last Remus I had on my 1150R sounded like a wet fart, so I wanted the GP setup which does not include the baffle inserts. Man, it sounds like a knarly single cylinder supermoto bike when you get on it - completely different than my uncorked R1150R. It sounds superb - albeit not an ideal touring pipe, but hey, it's a "sport" tourer, right? So every time I wind the bike past 7 grand, I'll listen to the snarl and remind myself :-)

Seriously, if you're looking for a nice, mellow setup, the GP can isn't it. Get the Revolution. But the GP is awesome, thing sounds as good as my Ducati now. And that catalytic stink is buh-bye too!

Did you notice any difference in the power with the full system? Did you do any changes to the fueling? I'm new to the BMW circuit, and I'm curious. The full Akrapovic/air box/chip install on my Mille R made a HUGE difference. I'd like a nice bump, but without the same volume...

"Your neighbors may have a different opinion."

What a stereotypically PC BMW rider thing to say. YAWN!

if i lived my life by what pleases my neighbors, life would really suck. if you do, you have my sympathies.

btw the bike is still more quiet than 99.9% of all Harleys.

I wonder how the Revolution without the baffle compares to the GP.... Hmmm....

Where did you get your full system?

got it at bmw santa cruz. took a few weeks to get here, apparently not a lot of folks put full systems on their RTs.

Did you notice any difference in the power with the full system? Did you do any changes to the fueling? I'm new to the BMW circuit, and I'm curious. The full Akrapovic/air box/chip install on my Mille R made a HUGE difference. I'd like a nice bump, but without the same volume...

I think in general Italian bikes are strangled as delivered so they can pass emission and noise tests, unlike BMWs. every Ducati I've owned has seriously woken up with the mods you describe. I havent put any miles on this new setup, so i can't answer about how much more power it will have. i'm assuming it will be + 3-5 horse and a few pounds of torque, plus it weighs maybe 12 pounds less and looks way less clunky. the throttle response is super crisp now, it just revs right up. if i blip and dump the throttle, i do get a little bit of popping from unburnt fuel, but nothing nasty.

i was amazed at how much less the cat weighs on the RT versus my old R1150R - that bike had a cat that was like 25 pounds, this one is only a few, in fact the Remus header and mid combined are only a pound or two less than the stock headers & cat. the majority of weigh savings comes from the ti slip on.

[quoteWhat a stereotypically PC BMW rider thing to say. YAWN!

if i lived my life by what pleases my neighbors, life would really suck.

Some day you may need the help or support of the neighbors you are willing to offend so casually. But YAWN, you will no doubt go on doing it, cuz it's your right. Right? May you have a PC potato stuffed up your Remus, or wherever.

this site has them in stock you can get in in a few days.. or they had it when I last checked.. you need the coupler piece for 125 as well

Some day you may need the help or support of the neighbors you are willing to offend so casually. But YAWN, you will no doubt go on doing it, cuz it's your right. Right? May you have a PC potato stuffed up your Remus, or wherever.

not sure what my 95 year old lady neighbor could do for me.. she cant hear much.... but she also doesnmt have any teeth... ooo.gif

To those perfect people who wish to scold me about noise:.

Get off your soapboxes. I have been riding for 20 years, and I'm actually quite responsible and considerate towards my neighbors, especially when it comes to noise from my bikes. I'm friendly with most of them.

But I can honestly say that I would rather make a little noise with my bike and be considered "inconsiderate" than be an uptight fart who pontificates to others on motorcycle web sites about loud (ish) pipes. So do me a favor, take off your shriner hats, recline into your favorite missionary position and RELAX.

It's just a stupid little post about an exhaust pipe - for a BMW! We're not talking about straight pipes on a Sportser! This post assumed a reader was comfortable with contextual thinking, i.e., a "really loud" 1200RT is not anywhere near as loud as a Japanese inline 4 with a race pipe, or nearly any Harley exhaust. The "GP" is louder than the Revolution, which I clearly state in my initial post. That is both the context and the intended comparison.

Save the lectures for the kids, with parents this uptight they're probably smoking dope and worshipping Satan as we speak, God Bless them. thumbsup.gif

Got any photos (or sound clips smirk.gif)?

not yet - but my RT is a red one just like yours, and the system looks gorgeous on the bike - get one! went on easy too. i'm leaving on a winter trip to florida (on the RT - no trailers for moi), will try to post a few in the next couple of weeks.

this site has them in stock you can get in in a few days.. or they had it when I last checked.. you need the coupler piece for 125 as well

it's a total joke that they bang you 125 bucks for the coupler - about 9 inches of metal. it should be included in the price of the header imho.

Sorry that you were flamed (or candled) and welcome to our exclusive club. One percenters in this case are those of us that have bikes that don't sound like an air compressor. And for some reason some others think their gratuitous opinions are worthy of our attention.

After locking this thread I received a few PMs in the background from people promising to take a different approach to discourse, so let's try this again. cool.gif

Hi. I have been looking at either a laser or remus system. Has the Remus affected fuel consumption by any great margin?

I love the RT, but it is a bit on the quiet side.

Hi. I have been looking at either a laser or remus system. Has the Remus affected fuel consumption by any great margin?

Here is a clip I pulled from a exhaust site. Its for the 1200gs but it may be the answer for 1200rt as well.. They seem to think running the exhaust with the stock airfilter is they way it was designed. adding higher air intake may increase gas consumption

FUELING ISSUES

There has been a great deal of talk about fuelling issues on the R1150GS and R1200GS when fitting Remus or Akrapovic exhausts.

Here are the facts from the tech guru at the importers of both makes of exhausts:

'' We looked specifically at the 1200GS and if you recall I spoke at length with Remus and the long term testers such as Peter Baker from MCN who ran a Remus complete system on his 1200GS for the whole of the 2004 season without any issues whatsoever, and after contacting several key dealers none of them are reporting any fuelling issues whatsoever with a standard air filter. The only time the bike begins to run seriously lean is when an after-market hi-flow filter such as a K&N is used and the air and fuel ratios become distorted.

(if you recall Ride Magazine also ran a Remus for several months earlier this year prior to fitting the Akrapovic and reported no problems at all)

It's fair to say that an after-market fuelling chip or TFI kit will refine and optimise the fuelling but this applies to any make and model of bike and any make of exhaust - not just a BMW with a Remus or Akrapovic - it will make the power delivery smoother and improve throttle response - as we know it refines the air and fuel ratios but I want to stress this is not necessary - it's optional. All fuel injected bikes can benefit from optimization of the fuelling (even from new - when the bikes have been supplied to meet very stringent emmision requirement) and Remus have identified this and are developing a fuel control module that will fit many bikes - Japanese, Italian and German.

"To clarify; Remus and Akrapovic carry out extensive research on their products and sell them on the understanding that no fuelling changes are necessary, but can be considered as an optional improvement by the owner if required.

"I have also pasted a link to the official Akrapovic site that clearly states their policy on this matter and the policy is an exactly mirror of the Remus policy on this subject. the link is below but the section reads as follows;

'The Bolt-On, Slip-On, Sport Production, Racing, Evolution and Street Legal ranges are designed to function properly using the stock carburettor or electronic fuel injection set-ups. This means that no changes to the stock set-ups are necessary in order to use Akrapovic exhaust systems. Also, all of the performance specifications which we measure and list for each exhaust system model are based on stock set-ups. We assume full responsibility for the accuracy of these specifications. However, we also believe that it is possible to improve the original set-ups when our exhaust systems are used.'

I have a Remus Ti Sport System on my R1100RT. It did drop the highway fuel econ. a bit - perhaps 1 or 2 mpg. But I really do like the way it sounds compared to stock and the weight savings is huge. YMMV.

For Christams, I gave myself a full Remus Revolution System with the Titanium can and with the baffle for my 05 RT. It is perfect for what I was looking for. Before this bike, I had an 04RT with a Staintune exhaust. The Staintune was a bid raspier, but I didn't notice much of a performance boost. With the Remus I can feel the bike accellerate better above 4500 RPM, and it just pulls and pulls. The sound is beautiful. The shop gave me a choice to take the baffle out, but I left it in. I got what I wanted with this system; a better sound and better performance.

I really wish Akrapovic would make a full system for the ST/RT. I sent them an email a couple of months ago. They responded saying they had no plans. bncry.gif

As far as fueling... you can get the Wunderlich branded TFI box from BMW santa cruz now (or very soon) for the 1200's.

Had been riding my old Harley with drag pipes for almost 200,000 miles when I bought the R1200RT. Have thought about changing the ehaust but if I feel the need for sound I just fire up old "Suzy Q" and rumble through the jungle.

Had been riding my old Harley with drag pipes for almost 200,000 miles when I bought the R1200RT. Have thought about changing the ehaust but if I feel the need for sound I just fire up old "Suzy Q" and rumble through the jungle.

wow, 200K with drag pipes? did you ever burn up your valves? legend has it that straight pipes on a big twin = lean fueling and burnt valves - were your pipes straight or baffled?

The Revolution is not much louder than stock pipe. It is louder, don't get

me wrong. Also, you can drill out the rivet that holds the silencer in the

pipe and you've got a GP sound.

Ian

The Revolution is not much louder than stock pipe. It is louder, don't get

me wrong. Also, you can drill out the rivet that holds the silencer in the

pipe and you've got a GP sound.

Ian

If the revolution with the silencer/db eater removed is the same sound and volume as the GP then I will just get the Revolution. Then I have the option to change it later.

But if the GP sounds different I'm gonna have to hear it before I decide.

...Pull the insert and you have the same sound and performance as the Grand Prix can - you can't loose with this muffler...

I guess I should have just read that.

i'm not aware of any aftermarket exhaust that comes stock with ceramic coating, so, no it isn't. and re: blueing - yep, unless there is a coating or a shroud over it, any motorcycle header will blue. you could always send it out to be coated.

ebuzz,

If you had to buy it again, would you buy the full system or just the can?

i'd go for the full system, the bike just feels so much more lively.

But - i just might get the Revolution can instead of the GP. The GP sounds absolutely amazing, but it really does make the bike sound as loud as a Ducati with aftermarket pipes. Not crazy loud pipes, compared to full Duck race systems, but this an RT we're talking about. There will be a drone on long rides that will probably be a pain in the ass.

However - took it for a 5 minute ride that turned into an hour today. The bike sounds so great, aggressive, and it pulls much nicer than the stock pipe. It also make the bike look a lot smaller without that log hanging off the side. If you have an ST, or the upcoming 1200S, the GP full system would be the hot setup. the sound and feel of the full GP system are very sporty, at this point in life I still like that. but i know a lot of RT people refer high mileage, stealthy riding and the GP would be inappropriate for that type of rider.

oh, and figured out that it is my clutch that stinks, not my caty. bike has 2000 miles on her, i've owned it since late october. smell was was at first, but it still reeks unlike any bike i've even owned, hope this isn't the foreshadowing of a future issue.

The tall first gear on the RT will cause some clutch stink as it beds to the flywheel/pressure plate. I have 7500 on my 05 and it no longer stinks. Leon 05RT

Archived