IGNORED

Official UN XII Thread

Kinsley

Nice n Easy Rider
I have my rally registration and hotel accommodations reserved. Now, this is my first UN. What do you do at these things?

Larry

Ride. Ride some more. Eat. Drink. Eat & drink some more. Throw the bull with friends, old & new. Other than that, not much.

Larry,

If you can't find enough roads and stuff to entertain in that part of the world you will likely be the very first...(Shopping spouses will love downtown Blowing Rock that is close to the motel or the Tanger outlet nearby)

You might find some groups forming that head out for small group rides- many ride with a few friends and just as many go solo. Groups tend to segregate also by bike type (like the GS guys who want to do some single track) or by speed or destination preferences. This is in what is perhaps the best large riding area on the east coast (that goes all the way from the mountains in WV to northern GA) with an unending array of places and stuff as even a brief glance at the links on the motel website hints- there is way more than that. Be outgoing and meet folks who share your tastes- you'll find others to ride with if you wish.

Name your hobby and a few of us can probably give you some spots. Look for the gps routes when they are posted to download if you want to see some good stuff but don't want to strike out on your own- though its almost impossible to go wrong just wandering for a day..You're in range of classic roads like the Snake and many many others.

What you won't find at UN is lots of vendors and the formal registration procedures of big rallies like RA and MOA. This one is smaller and BMW riders who come to ride and talk bikes and related topics..generally an experienced group of serious and friendly riders..not many on their "first" bike...

Becky and I certainly "play fast" sometimes at home but when touring in the mountains we tend to be a bit lazy. Enjoy the nice motel, start late, do only 200-300 miles per day with either some nice destinations or a specific lunch place on route and get back in time for a shower and drink before dinner. We've got some others who think anything under 425 miles a day is a complete waste and ought to be outlawed..You get to pick whatever routine for the day suits your taste- there is no published schedule of rides leaving, seminars being given, etc etc

That's why its the UN Rally........

If you want the other stuff, get down here a few days earlier and do RA in Asheville also just before UN...best of both worlds.

June is an ideal month in the mountains- great riding conditions, cooler than the lowlands that can get hot by then- but one can alway s run into a shower at these elevations- they are brief unless a front is coming thru.

I've done some preliminary research but if any of you have any positive personal experiences at a campground that accepts RV's... please chime in. The brochures make all these places look great. I've been disappointed in the past...

Need a place with hookups (not girls, power and sewer ! ) .

I've done some preliminary research but if any of you have any positive personal experiences at a campground that accepts RV's... please chime in. The brochures make all these places look great. I've been disappointed in the past...

Barbie and I are staying here. They have RV sites.

http://www.recreation.gov/recgovHome.do?topTabIndex=Home

Search Julian Price Park and your options will pop up. It is a National Park and is on a beautiful lake. Only about 8 miles from Blowing Rock.

Reservations finally made ... Tues - Thurs nights - leaving friday morning? Well, I kinda doubt it. I'll probably hang around for a day or two longer since I have to miss work anyway. And on that note, I may just take off the Monday prior, too. Haven't worked all that out yet.

Looking forward to it.

Reservations finally made ... Tues - Thurs nights - leaving friday morning? Well, I kinda doubt it. I'll probably hang around for a day or two longer since I have to miss work anyway. And on that note, I may just take off the Monday prior, too. Haven't worked all that out yet.

Looking forward to it.

Alright !

Looking forward to it.

Great minds think alike! :grin:

Since the UnRally is only a one day ride from DC, I also plan on taking the week off for riding. If the weather is good, I'll leave Sunday before and be back by the next Sunday.

As of today, Terri decided to take a couple days of scarce and precious leave to drive out on Thursday and stay through the weekend. Gotta sign her up and extend my reservation.

Yes, much relief. Craig's better half is coming!

Barbie and I are staying here. They have RV sites.

http://www.recreation.gov/recgovHome.do?topTabIndex=Home

Search Julian Price Park and your options will pop up. It is a National Park and is on a beautiful lake. Only about 8 miles from Blowing Rock.

Thank You, Sir !

Edit: No RV sites with electric?

Since we're on "other" vehicles, how is the hotel set up for trailers?

Been talking to a couple folks who probably will and depending on our schedule we might.

Since we're on "other" vehicles, how is the hotel set up for trailers?

Been talking to a couple folks who probably will and depending on our schedule we might.

There are actually three parking lots.

One near the main road where car shows and and other events take place.

A 2nd one between the main building and a 2nd building where most of us will probably be.

A 3rd one near the main entrance which is up a slight hill.

I recommend parking your trailer in the upper lot, then gearing up and riding into the lot with all the bikes like you just rode the whole way :clap:

Ken, could you please post directions to the ice machines? That's really important to some of us. :dopeslap:

Seriously, thanks for all your work in setting things up. :clap:

Ken, could you please post directions to the ice machines? That's really important to some of us. :dopeslap:

Seriously, thanks for all your work in setting things up. :clap:

Albert, if you head there now you'll probably find ice all over the parking lot. :wave:

"I recommend parking your trailer in the upper lot, then gearing up and riding into the lot with all the bikes like you just rode the whole way"

Yup, that's the way many do it in Daytona. Don't even need a bike. I saw a Cadillac convertible park in a back street and out came a couple in full regalia, boots, chaps, leather vest with all the patches...

there are (as far my research show)4 commercial RV campgrounds withing 8 miles of the Unrally motel. In one of the next three weekends I am going up there to look at all four. I will give comments. I plan on RVing it there on Thursday night June 20. The hit the RA rally at biltmore friday and Saturday. On Sunday and monday some back road dual sporting. Then the Unrally tues, wed & thurs. maybe some back road riding frid & sat then head home late Saturday.

Just based upon internet searches I plan on staying here

http://www.honeybearcampground.com/catalog/pd-home.php

I am also checking out three other locations, one is this

http://www.flintlockcampground.com/

I do not have the other two links handy. I will report back on what I find.

I am looking for someone to share the RV costs. Mine is a basic inclosed trailer that I have been adding comforts too. At present it has electical hookup for toaster over, microwave, air conditioning and basic lighting. sleeping is just air mattress on floor right now. If someone wants to split cost ( I think it is 40.00 per night) let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nancy and I are in, arriving on Wednesday and heading home on Saturday (or maybe Sunday).

We had a great time in Blowing Rock last year and can't wait to go back.

• 1 month later...

I just registered and called the hotel. So I am legal!! Arriving on the 25th and leaving for home on the 28th. If anyone who is non-smoker and a non-snorer would like to split the cost please send a PM. thanks Bob

I just got word that all vacations for my division will be cancelled through June maybe longer until all reconstruction of boardwalk is completed. Yep a real moral booster for sure. Looks like another UN is going to slip away. Until next time y'all be safe now.

I just got word that all vacations for my division will be cancelled through June maybe longer until all reconstruction of boardwalk is completed. Yep a real moral booster for sure. Looks like another UN is going to slip away. Until next time y'all be safe now.

Bummer.

Looking forward to meeting you next year.

Okay, the routes for UN XII are up for download in both GDB and GPX file formats.

There are routes for 3 days of paved riding and one GS route. Each route leaves the hotel and ends at a restaurant, then you will need to start another route to get you back to the hotel. Each route has options with A being the longest down to C being the shortest in distance.

A note about receiving Routes From Others.

Your maps and preferences may be different than those of the person you received them from, so to be sure you ride the intended route. You must do the following.

Open the GDB or GPX file in your software, then make duplicates of each route (usually a right click will show the option).

Change the color of the Duplicate route (usually double click, then go to “Info” and look there)

Note the mileage, then Re-calculate the Original route. The mileage should stay the same.

If the route mileage is different, look for the color you changed the Duplicate route to. You will need to add a Waypoint or Via point to the Original route to make it match the Duplicate route. Once the two routes are the same, delete the Duplicate route, then load the Original route onto your GPS.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21509224/UN%20XII%202013.GDB

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21509224/UN%20XII%202013.GPX

Joyce and I are out. I've stated playing golf again so the bike just sits. We'll miss seeing everyone, maybe next year.

Am I going to have to ride thru Rockford just to see you again?????

Joyce and I are out. I've stated playing golf again so the bike just sits. We'll miss seeing everyone, maybe next year.

It's a deal Tom. See you in the west next year. You did mean that didn't you?

I've stated playing golf again so the bike just sits.

OMG, Such Filthy Talk! smiley-rolleyes004.gif Kidding, Have Fun! :grin:

Pat

Bring the clubs.

Plenty of great courses in the area...

:grin:

I've gone from 100+ rounds a year to a few.

Not sure it has helped.

:lurk:

Am I going to have to ride thru Rockford just to see you again?????

We do have very nice summers up here. Come on up and I'll show you both of our twisty roads.

Illinois - 318 miles - 11 curves :grin:

Temporary Hijack.

To all wo are traveling to the Un, please don't forget to take photos of the State Line Signs for this thread in MotoPhoto as we try and collect all 50 states.

We now return you to your regular Un programming.

Computerbob

Okay, Matt has done his obligatory arm twisting and I'm seriously considering coming up for this. I just need to pass it by the 3 approvers: Boss, bank account, and most importantly THE WIFE.

Archived