IGNORED

Radio switch wire

profbodryak

Just finished installing a new pioneer receiver in a '03 R1150RT. Match the wires exactly like everyone else. It stays on till I lock the fork. However, when I unlock the fork and the radio comes on it drops all the settings. What am I missing?

Afternoon profbodryak

I really don't know what your new Pioneer requires as far as power & ground inputs but your issue really sounds like it (the radio) is losing it's full time keep alive power during the key-on from the lock position.

I presume your radio NEEDS a (continuous) full time power input to keep the memory alive & it sounds like that isn't happening.

You possibly either have a loose wire connection that when you turn the bars hard to lock it comes loose. OR, you do not have your constant hot hooked up to a constant hot wire. You have the constant hot input on the stereo head usually yellow or red, connected to a switched hot or keyed hot. Everytime you turn off the ignition it kills the power for memory.

I am not electrical wizard though so others may help better.

I am not sure how the key switch is wired on a BMW,but you could use an inline fused wire directly from the battery to the constant hot input and that should fix that.

Interestingly enough I followed the diagram supplied with the unit and matched it up with the bike wires. I will have to pull the fairing off again tomorrow to check it again. Seems it may be a keylock issue so I may as well have to wire it from the battery. Thanks!

Interestingly enough I followed the diagram supplied with the unit and matched it up with the bike wires.-----

Morning profbodryak

The full time power wire you need should already be there. It's terminal 3 of the 8 terminal OEM radio connector. That is a red/white wire that is battery direct through the #3 fuse.

If you added a #11 fuse, that powers the violet/black wire & that circuit isn't full time power as it goes through the ign switch.

Dirtrider here's what I think I did: red with white stripe from motorcycle to yellow on radio (constant supply wire from radio) and purple with black stripe from motorcycle to red wire from radio (which is terminal controlled by ignition switch per radio manual). So Those two need be swapped?

Interestingly enough I followed the diagram supplied with the unit and matched it up with the bike wires.-----

Morning profbodryak

The full time power wire you need should already be there. It's terminal 3 of the 8 terminal OEM radio connector. That is a red/white wire that is battery direct through the #3 fuse.

If you added a #11 fuse, that powers the violet/black wire & that circuit isn't full time power as it goes through the ign switch.

Loose connection between the constant supply wires?

It doesn't have a wired remote that comes with it however I took out a IR transponder otu of a wireless remote and created a wire extension that allowed me to route the transponder to the radio compartment. I will most likely purchase a wired remote soon as I want to use its screen so I can route it to the dashboard instead of the factory one. I can send you a photo if you pm me your e-mail. It works like charm btw.

Archived