The new colors of Oz

Fubar

Have you seen the news concerning the massive heatwave Down Under? The funny thing I saw - the only one - was that the temperatures in the center were so high (over 45 C, 113 F, 318 K), the computer-generated map had no colors to display and left a portion without any.

Now, I don't know or really care if you believe in global warming/climate change, but when something like this happens ya gotta wonder what is going on!

And just now I saw there is a tropical cyclone (hurricane in FL) tracking down the west coast there. And it spins the other way!! (Ours go anti-clockwise). Hope you get some rain out of it and nothing else. Too many fires going on already.

We had around 100 bush fires here in New South Wales.

I don't know where these guys check the Temperatures all the time.

A couple of examples:

For our area, they reported on a day, 38c, both my thermostat (including the car) showed 43.2c

Then the next one they reported 36c...at home, two sensors, under verandas (so all shade) plus good airflow..41.2c

These guys must be measuring those temps under water or under a fountain.

It's 11:30AM here and the temps are already: 42.8c

It will possibly climb higher yet.

This could turn into a new record.

It is always wierd how different things can be in different places.

We have had 2 really comfortable summers in a row here in the Inland Empire. Our temps here run well over 100*F from July to Oct for most years with peaks as high as 120*F somedays and I would say an average of about 105*F for July August and Sept.

The last 2 years we have had a couple of hot 115* F days but very few. Most days under 100*F with an average of about 95*F.

This has also been the COLDEST winter I remember in a long time. We have had more sub freezing nights here in the last 2 months than I ever remember out here. It has not gotten above 60 more than 5 days in 2 months. We often have 70-75*F days out here even in winter and nights in the 40s are normal for us, but we had a 26*F night this past week and a bunch of 29/30* nights lately.

I am not saying that Global warming is real or not...I do not doubt that the Glaciers are melting and things like that, but our local weather has NOT shown any sign of that.

...This has also been the COLDEST winter I remember in a long time. We have had more sub freezing nights here in the last 2 months than I ever remember out here. It has not gotten above 60 more than 5 days in 2 months. We often have 70-75*F days out here even in winter and nights in the 40s are normal for us, but we had a 26*F night this past week and a bunch of 29/30* nights lately.

I am not saying that Global warming is real or not...I do not doubt that the Glaciers are melting and things like that, but our local weather has NOT shown any sign of that.

This demonstrates a common misunderstanding about global warming. Global warming does not mean that temperatures will always be warmer in any given area. It means that the overall trend, averaged over the entire planet, is warming. Natural variability and seasons still happen. But weather patterns may change, and are change. Weather extremes are becoming more frequent and more intense.

...This has also been the COLDEST winter I remember in a long time. We have had more sub freezing nights here in the last 2 months than I ever remember out here. It has not gotten above 60 more than 5 days in 2 months. We often have 70-75*F days out here even in winter and nights in the 40s are normal for us, but we had a 26*F night this past week and a bunch of 29/30* nights lately.

This demonstrates a common misunderstanding about global warming. It means that the overall trend, averaged over the entire planet, is warming. Natural variability and seasons still happen. But weather patterns may change, and are changing. Weather extremes are becoming more frequent and more intense.

Got that right, though here it actually has been warmer the last month and hitting records this week (82F instead of the "normal" upper 60's to low 70's) though last summer was cooler than normal.

Learn to love global warming, you won't escape it. My kid'll probably inherit beachfront property though we are 6 miles inland (we are just 28' above sea level).

Archived