IGNORED

Regular ol' Garmin GPS vs. Zumo

Deezal Man

No doubt I'll raise a brow from the folks with the fancy Garmin Zumo but.. do I really need a +$700 GPS? I know the Zumo is water resistant and left hand friendly (with Gloves) but I'm having a hard time justifying the money. I would gladly pay 2x maybe 3x for those features but 6x-7x more for a fancy screen and resistance to the elements. I'll make a lexan cover for it or...a clear plastic bag even. Am I missing something that isn't being shared on Garmin's features and benefits section of the website?

What your missing is what the REAL reason for having a GPS on a motorcycle can really do for you.. that is... CUSTOM ROUTES! A custom route created on your PC can take you on a ride (like having a co-pilot that knows the roads intimately and takes you on the best backroads, route, twisties, sightseeing, etc...) and guide you.

Using a GPS just to get you from point A> B (or just to home) is what a car gps does... and that's where they should stay.

Now, it doesn't mean you have to spend 700 on a ZUMO, I used a NUVI 500 for a few years before I bit the bullet and got a ZUMO 660. BUt, the NUVI 500 accepts custom routes (most NUVI's do NOT!) and it totally waterproof... I suggest you check out ZUMOFORUMS.COM (I'm w2ge on there, a "master of zumology" ;-)

malcolmblalock

The Streetpilot 2720 does everything the Zumo will do, and more. And they can be found on eBay and similar places for under $150.

I'm biased, and I've owned a lot of Garmin units, but the Streetpilot 27XX and later are superior to the Zumos except for smaller touchscreen "targets".

Just my opinion FWIW.

That's why I asked the question.. I knew there had to be a reason or reason(s) Garmin felt justified in charging that amount of money for a product they produce in a similar format for thousands riding around in nearly every car you see.

So back to the question at hand.. custom routes.. that good huh?

One of the reasons that I got a Zumo (220) was that I thought Zumos are supposed to be able to withstand vibrations better than Nuvis. I have it mounted on the bike, so I assumed this was important. That, and being waterproof. But I'm not sure if the vibration issue is important or not.

I own a few StreetPilot units (2/each SP2720 & SP2730) but still prefer having a Zumo 550 for each of my current motos. True, that Zumo series has a smaller internal memory which makes a full update to CONUS maps a challenge but I like the smaller form factor. For example, I'm adding a Passport radar unit next to the 550 (on Gadget Guy bar mount) which would be a challenge with an SP2720/SP2730 due to overall width (unless a BMR shelf system as on my prior R12RT).

I bought a SP2720 new, a Zumo 550 new and all the others used on eBay, C-L plus ADV and this forum. Many older units have never been registered online with Garmin, which should result in a 1-time free map upgrade offer when you do register your newly acquired older unit! :Cool:

And IMHO, go with a Nuvi.

I've been using a Nuvi 1490 (5" screen) successfully for three or four years now without the slightest problem on the bike(s). Fairly easy to see, audible even with my Nolan N102 and earplugs, simple to mount, does custom routes and waypoints with uploading from the pc, and for the most part is motorcycle glove friendly.

Oh, and it costs <$150 with lifetime maps.

Just sayin...

+1 for the Nuvi. I've been using a Nuvi 550 (weatherproof, custom routes, and lifetime updates) for a couple years now with no problems. The screen is glove friendly, albeit hard to make your selection with a winter glove. If I have to be focused on the GPS to change a route or find the next POI, I am most likely to pull over anyway. If I had to buy another one, I would probably go with a $99 or less from Best Buys clearance racks, and get a larger screen. If it gets soaked and stops working, I could still buy 6 more and still be under the Zumo price tag. I do understand the appeal of the Zumo's, and they are NICE units. But for me, I prefer the cheaper ones. YMMV, my $0.02.

*Edit. Oh, the Nuvi 550 doesnt have bluetooth, but I figure if I am not paying enough attn to the GPS that I actually miss a turn, then something more interesting caught my attention, and that is part of the ride and adventure.

Edited by aterry1067

Just wait around and watch the classified on the board,....one will pop up for $300 or less,...that's how I got my Zumo and it stays mounted on the bike. If it rains, it rains, no concerns. But of course, you could get a Nuvi and a waterproof case and mount it ;)

As one of the original Moderators on the zumo forums I am obviously biased but...

I understand your question and think you are correct in asking it. I also think the relevant point is WHY do you want a GPS and what do you plan to do with it.

The Zumo line was designed by motorcycle people for us. I have talked with those people and know their motivations and intent. I think they made a great product. I have and use the 550.

If what you want is point to point navigation with audible prompts at a very low price point, then you have many options and frankly the 550/660 line is not for you.

If you want a unit designed for motorcycle use... meaning weather proof, custom mount, vibration and shock resistant, Audio/music/audio books etc, expandable memory from SD cards, custom routing on either desktop computer or the unit itself, capability to connect via Bluetooth to a headset (or by audio-out cable) and bluetooth interface to your cell phone then the Zumo line may be for you.

If none or only some of that is important then go for an older Garmin or an auto-based unit and you may meet your needs.

Edited by hopz

Unless you want XM built into your GPS, I can see no reason for paying for the Zumo, which strikes me as being about 300% over priced and way bulky.

Yes, I own a 550. It works fine, I bought it for the XM. If it ever craps out I will put a cheap $100 NUVI on the bike, one of which I am taking on a ride in South America this year.

Edited by UberXY
I also think the relevant point is WHY do you want a GPS and what do you plan to do with it.

If you want a unit designed for motorcycle use... meaning weather proof, custom mount, vibration and shock resistant, Audio/music/audio books etc, expandable memory from SD cards, custom routing on either desktop computer or the unit itself, capability to connect via Bluetooth to a headset (or by audio-out cable) and bluetooth interface to your cell phone then the Zumo line may be for you.

If none or only some of that is important then go for an older Garmin or an auto-based unit and you may meet your needs.

+1, and closer to what I meant earlier. You have to figure out what are the important features for you, and buy accordingly. For me personally, I use mine for point to point, and to make routes at home on the desktop (or download routes others have made) to upload onto my unit. I rarely listen to a radio, even in the car, so the audio options aren't important to ME. They may be important to you.

Edited by aterry1067

Which model Garmin is that puppy?

Morning Gaston

That unit shown is the either the Garmin 60 CX or 60 CSX (CXS has real magnetic compass).

Neither are made anymore therefore not currently supported by Garmin.

I have the 60CSX & it is a very good off-road GPS as it handles tracks & off road usage much better than the Zumo series.

The down side to the older 60CS/CXS series is the very small screen & the screen is a backlit so is about impossible to see in direct sun light (older technology).

The screen also updates as pages so if you are riding fast it can miss a turn if that turn comes right after a page refresh or quickly after another turn.

Still one of the better off road type GPS units but sure wouldn't be my first choice for on road long distance touring or custom POI display.

I believe the old 60CX/CSX has been replaced by the Garmin Montana.

Morning Deezal Man

Things to keep in mind when looking at motorcycle GPS units are:

If you wear polarized sunglasses some (mostly car or older back lit units) won't work worth a hoot with polarized sun glasses.

Some (mostly back lit) units are about unreadable in the sun light & screen glare is a real issue.

Some units don't update quickly under tree cover so if you ride a lot of tree lined back roads look for something that stays locked on the satellites or you will be riding past turns if you ride briskly.

Some of the better units are a one button push for INSTANT detour routing (very handy if you see traffic quickly backing up ahead). The ones that take pulling over & re-programming for a detour are about useless if you want a quick new route around the problem.

If you don't like riding gravel roads or freeways look for a GPS unit that has good avoidance settings. Otherwise the GPS will just route you in a way assuming you just want to get there not using the roads YOU like to ride.

If you just like to wander around then use the GPS when you get lost or want to know where you are then GPS type doesn't matter that much. If you want to ride a VERY SPECIFIC & precise route & STAY ON THAT ROUTE even if you miss a turn then GPS type & internal programming becomes very important. (some car only units are not good at staying on a specific route as some of the better motorcycle units are).

Impending turn alert is a great thing to have if you ride fast as that way you have some warning of next turn & direction to turn. Some of the better units have count down (in feet) to turn so you can chose the correct road if 3 or 4 side roads very close together.

If you ride with others then route sharing is a great thing as it allows ALL on the ride to have the EXACT same routes to follow (assuming the mapping is the same in all units).

A GPS unit is a lot like a motorcycle, there are a lot of different types & models with some doing things better than others. Why did you buy a BMW 1200RT when you could GET BY with that VFR 750? Same with a GPS unit, why buy a Zumo when you can get by with a Nuvi or 60 CX?

There are a couple of ways to go on buying a GPS unit. Start out cheap then live with it for a while to see what you do & don't like about the cheap unit & what the cheap unit is lacking for your riding style & usage. That way you will have a good idea on what your needs are & what you require when you buy your next (up level) GPS. (maybe you won't even use it that much so find that out before spending big money on something you won't use)

Or buy a good up level MOTORCYCLE USAGE GPS unit up front (one that most experienced long distance motorcycle riders choose) & never look back or be wishing you had a better or more rider friendly GPS unit.

I have a few GPS units & can tell you from experience that the best off-road usage GPS is not the best (not even close) for long distance (stay exactly on route) usage for multi day trips or custom routing using custom POI's or multi routing in case of road closures or on the fly routing changes.

On the other hand my best on-road ease-of-use glove friendly easy to see GPS absolutely sucks at off-road usage.

Best advise I can give is-- to buy a GPS you can see in direct sun light (best GPS in the world is useless if you can't see the screen while riding)

I bought a SP2720 new, a Zumo 550 new and all the others used on eBay, C-L plus ADV and this forum. Many older units have never been registered online with Garmin, which should result in a 1-time free map upgrade offer when you do register your newly acquired older unit! :Cool:

That's very important. It can be very difficult to get newer maps on an older StreetPilot. However, I still perfer those to the newer GPSes. Bad news is I think the 2012 map update is the end of Mapsource for the StreetPilots? I have NT 2010, 2011 and 2012 on my 2720, 2720 and BMW Nav III units. Really no complaints with the 2012 version, but after a few more years, who knows?

+1 for the Nuvi. I've been using a Nuvi 550 (weatherproof, custom routes, and lifetime updates) for a couple years now with no problems. The screen is glove friendly, albeit hard to make your selection with a winter glove. If I have to be focused on the GPS to change a route or find the next POI, I am most likely to pull over anyway. If I had to buy another one, I would probably go with a $99 or less from Best Buys clearance racks, and get a larger screen. If it gets soaked and stops working, I could still buy 6 more and still be under the Zumo price tag. I do understand the appeal of the Zumo's, and they are NICE units. But for me, I prefer the cheaper ones. YMMV, my $0.02.

*Edit. Oh, the Nuvi 550 doesnt have bluetooth, but I figure if I am not paying enough attn to the GPS that I actually miss a turn, then something more interesting caught my attention, and that is part of the ride and adventure.

+2 for the Nuvi 550 ....totally waterproof and does everything I need with lifetime Maps ... all for about $260! AND ... the thing I like about the Nuvi 550 is I run it on battery! It is rated at 8 hour battery life and I consistently get 6 hours out of it ....more if I am frugal. BUT ... I simply carry 2 spares with me and a 30 second swap and I have 6+ hours to go again. The batteries were eary to fine on Amazon for about $20 each.

ANd if you are worried about it's waterproof ability .....

I do run a ZUMO 450 on my RT simply because it was plug'n play with the BMW connector. But on my GS's it is the Nuvi.

Edited by RTinNC

With the Garmin 1490 you can make details routes on your PC then load them onto the GPS you say? Didn't know that model did that. That's always been a requirement of mine.....I spend hours every winter planning my tours for the following year using Mapsource, logged onto "Scenic Motorcycle Rides" or the like on the internet, sometimes also with google maps or a roadmap. And then I download my detailed and convoluted route onto my StreetPilot GPS.

That Nuvi 1490 looks very nice, and the screen must be twice what I have now; that would be nice! You say you can hear it on the bike with earplugs and a helmet? Do you have the sound amplified in any way? Or is that with just the GPS' internal speaker?

Edited by Deek

"...the thing I like about the Nuvi 550 is I run it on battery! It is rated at 8 hour battery life and I consistently get 6 hours out of it ....more if I am frugal. BUT ... I simply carry 2 spares with me and a 30 second swap and I have 6+ hours to go again. The batteries were eary to fine on Amazon for about $20 each.

..."

Does it ONLY run on battery? Since many days on tour are over 8 hours, having to fiddle with changing batteries is a deal-breaker for me.

And IMHO, go with a Nuvi.

I've been using a Nuvi 1490 (5" screen) successfully for three or four years now without the slightest problem on the bike(s). Fairly easy to see, audible even with my Nolan N102 and earplugs, simple to mount, does custom routes and waypoints with uploading from the pc, and for the most part is motorcycle glove friendly.

Oh, and it costs <$150 with lifetime maps.

Just sayin...

I am looking for a simple to use car GPS for my wife. I already have Garmin StreetPilots (27xx, 28xx) for my motorcycle. I use Mapsource to design detailed routes on my PC using Mapsource, then download those routes and waypoints onto the StreetPilots. The Nuvi 1490 sounds easy to use, but I still want to be able to make a route and waypoints on my PC, preferrably using Mapsource, then download those to the Nuvi. Does that work? Or does the Nuvi 1490 use different software?

I have found conflicting info on the Nuvi 1490. One places says to use Street & Trips to make a route, then download that gpx file to the Nuvi, then have it make a route. Other places say it can be done with Mapsource. Other places say Mapsource is not complatible with the Nuvi 1490. Sure like to find out before I get the GPS for her! She's getting ready to do some extensive travel in unfamiliar places, and I'd like to provide her with an easy to use GPS. She will not be making the routes; I will be doing that for her. But, I'd want her to have the ability to say, put in a restaurant name or address herself, in the car using just the GPS....sorta like she has done in rental cars lately.

Thanks for any help - anyone!

I believe the Nuvi 1490 will handle custom routes from Mapsource... (BUT, all NUVI's (even the 500/550) RECALCULATE routes... so they will only stay TRUE to your "intended" route that you created in Mapsource as long as you have avoidance's in both MapSource and your GPS set pretty much "equivalent" and that the route created in Mapsource (or BaseCamp) have enough PROPER shaping points to keep the route as intended.

Remember, Mapsource has not and is no longer supported since ver. 6.16.3 from 2010... Everything is BaseCamp now...

Re; the Streetpilots, mapsets (NT) are no longer available.. so they are relics.. good units but no longer supported (at all)

The Nuvi 5xx series can run directly from Motorcycle battery with a proper cable and then it plugs into mini-USB (like most Car gps's.. no "specialized" cradle as in ZUMO series.. I always ran my NUVI 500 directly off of the bike's battery hard-wired (or use car lighter plug 12v to 5v USB)

Edited by w2ge
Or you can go with the small, lightweight economy model that is water proof

Which model Garmin is that puppy?

That was my old CX, later replaced with a CSX after my "incident". The sunlight issue refferred to by D.R. can be an issue, but I've found it to be manageable. I use this type as I mostly ride off the beaten path. It can be quickly removed and placed in my backpack.

There are better choices for RT type riding, but I use it on both bikes as well as hiking and it serves me well.

Lots of good points mentioned here. To answer the question, how will I use the GPS? I should first start off by telling you how I intend to use the bike. Everything from out of state weekend vacations to a fun mode of transportation for my job. You see, I'm in sales and my territory includes everything from Virginia all the way up to Maine. I think it would be awesome to visit a few of my clients on the bike. For that reason, I need a no-nonsense A to B GPS where time is often of the essence and an invaluable travel 'tool'. On weekends I intend to use the bike for long distance A to B routes using back roads to get there. Last but not least, my significant other loves to ride and we plan to take weekend trips to various places. I never used my previous bikes like this. I generally rode a couple hours on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, got lost and found my way home. End of ride.

So you see, this bike is a whole new adventure for us. Considering what I spent on this bike, I'm certainly not trying to be 'cheap' when it comes to an accessory. My questions and hesitation are about value and features offered for the price paid. As a few of you mentioned, I could replace a cheap GPS a few times before equaling the price of the ZUMO. However, if this device is far superior and would be a perfect fit for my uses, I'll gladly drop the cash.. Ok, that last part was an exaggeration but you get the point.

As a final point, if I had never owned a bike I'm not sure I would have purchased the RT, simply because I would not have the experience to appreciate all that it offers for the price paid. I think the same is true here. I simply don't know.

Evening Deezal Man

So you are basically needing a GPS that has enough internal storage to hold multi state maps, that can hold numerous routes, that has a decent immediate detour ability, that has a large enough screen to see while riding in heavy traffic, that shows the screen in the bright sun light, that can accept custom made routes, that is decently waterproof so you don't need to stop at every rain drop & cover it (covered GPS units are difficult to access the controls on while riding)

It would be nice if your GPS of choice saved tracks so you can review your trip & ACTUAL traveled routes when you get home. Or use the saved tracks to backtrack if you quickly want to track back to something you passed or missed.

If you ride a lot of multi lane congested freeways then lane position might be a nice addition.

If you haul a laptop along then the ability to have your laptop access your GPS & add routes or add POI's or change the routing in your motel lobby.

Time of arrival might be a nice thing to have especially if it is accurate & based on travel speed.

You might like some restaurant choices at your finger tips as well as gas station locations from your current (moving) position.

The ability of your GPS to take new (& current) mapping could be a big asset if you plan on traveling to places that are constantly under construction or adding new freeway exits or traffic circles.

Easy to access controls could be an asset if you are riding in heavy traffic & don't have the eye time to find small inconvenient GPS controls.

If you like to just wander around on weekends then return home at about any time then a convenient (HOME) button would be nice as a simple push on the HOME button would get you an instant route right back to your garage.

You have some choices on a GPS that will work for you. Some of the older Garmin Plotter or Marine types would do just fine but they are more complex to program & use, also a lot have aged internal mapping & limited area coverage.

Look around & compare what's available to what you want to spend. Maybe use the Garmin Zumo as a "standard" to compare to as those would meet most if not all your travel needs & meet most of what I posted above.

I know what my choice would be given your needs.

No. You aren't missing anything. A regular ol' gps would do the trick for most people most of the time. Zumo gives you all the bells and whistles like pumping the audio into your helmet. A lot of folks around here like 'em, and they are neat. But I don't upgrade my bike every 5 years and I don't need a $700 gps.

Custom routes are okay, but for my money, just plain old routing my butt out of where I'm at, and getting me to point B is the whole point. I can ride all over, ignore street signs and generally be lost, and that thing will direct me to point b without any hassles. All for $200 give or take. There's even some $70 units you can find sometimes. For that price, they're almost disposable (almost).

You might also like the POI (points of interest) files available on line for adventuring afield. Download a POI file of Barn Quilts, Giant Men, barbecue joints, waterfalls, or roadside oddities to BaseCamp and plan out a weekend ride. Sort of like GeoCaching.

-----

"...the thing I like about the Nuvi 550 is I run it on battery! It is rated at 8 hour battery life and I consistently get 6 hours out of it ....more if I am frugal. BUT ... I simply carry 2 spares with me and a 30 second swap and I have 6+ hours to go again. The batteries were eary to fine on Amazon for about $20 each.

..."

Does it ONLY run on battery? Since many days on tour are over 8 hours, having to fiddle with changing batteries is a deal-breaker for me.

Nope ... can plug in too! But trust me the battery pops in and out in less than 30 seconds! Press he button the back pops pen ...pop out the battery and in with the new one.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Portable-Navigator/dp/B001CT00BW

It's the old "too many choices" problem. The bottom line has to be, as many have said; What do you want from a GPS unit and how much do you feel comfortable spending?

I wanted the Bluetooth feature so it cut way down on my choices list. I didn't want XM radio or an MP3 player so the list was pared down to a handful.

I got the Zumo 220 and aside from the mini USB connector being the main power connection I like it a lot.

Good luck with your search.

I believe the Nuvi 1490 will handle custom routes from Mapsource... (BUT, all NUVI's (even the 500/550) RECALCULATE routes... so they will only stay TRUE to your "intended" route that you created in Mapsource as long as you have avoidance's in both MapSource and your GPS set pretty much "equivalent" and that the route created in Mapsource (or BaseCamp) have enough PROPER shaping points to keep the route as intended.

Remember, Mapsource has not and is no longer.......

Thanks. After doing additional research, including discussions with Garmin's tech support, that's how I undertand it works. I thought I'd fiddle around with the Mapsource/1490 first. That might prove unsatisfactory due to the "recalculation" issues, which are the same I have if I make a route, say with Mapsource (City Nav North America NT 2011) then load onto a Streetpilot with CNNA 2008 as its internal mapset. Eventually I might try to use BaseCamp with JUST the Nuvi 1490. But I hesitate learning Basecamp just to use with the Nuvi 1490. That one will be mainly used by my wife, and probably have just the longish routes we do together, like down to Pensacola a couple of times a year. Heck, I might just make the route ON the 1490 and skip the PC altogether.

Morning Deek

You might as well get used to using Base Camp as Map Source is starting to give problems with some routing when using the last few Garmin map update versions. Map Source is no longer supported by Garmin so the latest mapping is not verified to be totally compliant with Map Source.

Earlier maps = no problems, but the last few update iterations can be problematic with some custom routes made in Map Source when used in some GPS units.

The most recent mapping software I have is 2012, and no problems with Mapsource so far.

I downloaded Basecame and played around with it a bit. Some things are better than Mapsource, some are worse. But they seem to be very similar as far as the routing and waypoint things go. I will probably continue using MS 95% of the time.

I understand that BC uses the maps on the GPS device, so at least there's none of the issues with using a GPS device with a different mapset than the one(s) you have installed into Mapsource. That's a plus.....but I'm hoping when my Nuvi 1490 arrives this week I can get Mapsource to work okay with it. The issue will probably be, however, that the 1490 might have a newer mapset internally than my Mapsource versions. In that case, I will plug into the Nuvi with BaseCamp on the screen, and use its mapset to route, etc. I plan to not use the Nuvi very often to do detailed routes, as it will reside in my wife's car and be used mainly for finding addresses around town, etc.

Afternoon Deek

You can see how good Map Source works with your new GPS. With 2012.xx mapping you will probably have an occasional glitch that won't show up until you are riding the route & it does something strange.

For the most part it should work OK but MapSource has some latent issues handling routes (correctly) that use map database indexes that are older than the mapping you are making the route on. (big advantage to Base Camp here as it updates the database indexes).

To get good solid routes most if not all the time you can still make them in Map Source but THEN bring the route up in Base Camp & re-calculate it (that usually makes them solid & glitch free).

You mention that Base Camp uses the mapping that is in your GPS. Not necessarily so, it CAN use the mapping that is in the GPS but it can also use what you have on your computer from the Map Source data base. (make sure your Base Camp IS using the correct vintage mapping that matches your GPS.

Afternoon Deek

You can see how good Map Source works with your new GPS. With 2012.xx mapping you will probably have an occasional glitch that won't show up until you are riding the route & it does something strange.

For the most part it should work OK but MapSource has some latent issues handling routes (correctly) that use map database indexes that are older than the mapping you are making the route on. (big advantage to Base Camp here as it updates the database indexes).

To get good solid routes most if not all the time you can still make them in Map Source but THEN bring the route up in Base Camp & re-calculate it (that usually makes them solid & glitch free).

You mention that Base Camp uses the mapping that is in your GPS. Not necessarily so, it CAN use the mapping that is in the GPS but it can also use what you have on your computer from the Map Source data base. (make sure your Base Camp IS using the correct vintage mapping that matches your GPS.

Thanks. Lots of food for thought here. I am just now getting used to the Nuvi 1490 after playing with it for a couple of hours. I have not noticed any problems with importing waypoints and routes from MS (CNNA NT 2012x) into the Nuvi. But then my two routes are pretty simple. I was expected the usual problem I see with my Streetpilots when downloading a route that was done with one mapset on the PC (ie, CNNA NT 2010) to a GPS, like my Garmin 2720 that has a different mapset (ie, like CNNA 2011). Anyway, I didn't have that.

I registered the Nuvi online last night, and took their offered one-time mapset upgrade (which I assume only goes on the Nuvi, NOT the PC). Anyway, took about 1.5 hours, no big deal. After doing that, I downloaded the same routes I did before the upgrade, which were done with MS CNNA NT 2012...I expected some sort of error, but got none. Now I did have to recalc on the Nuvi, which I think I have done after importing them every time, but I cannot remember.

I think I understand most of what you said about BC being preferred over MS due to the glitches, etc. But not totally sure. If I start up BS with no GPS attached, it shows CNNA 2012.1 in the mapset selector window. That's the most recent CNNA I have on my PC, but I can also use 2009, 2010, and 2011. I use those with older StreetPilots. It doesn't matter what version of CNNA I used last; when BC starts up with no Nuvi attached, it indicates it's using CNNA 2012. With the Nuvi attached to my PC, I don't recall what it says, and the GPS is in the wife's car on the road now, so I can't check.

What do you think will show in that window with the Nuvi attached? If you expect that I may get even minor errors using Mapsource 2012 with the Nuvi, even if very rare, I will have to bite the bullet and learn BC.....but I will only use it with my wive's Nuvi 1490; not with the 27xx (CNNA NT 2011) and 28xx (CNNA 2012) Garmin Streetpilots I use on the motorcyles and in my truck. Reason is I use the StreetPilots A LOT, and my wife's Nuvi only when she's going on a trip without me.

"...To get good solid routes most if not all the time you can still make them in Map Source but THEN bring the route up in Base Camp & re-calculate it (that usually makes them solid & glitch free)."

But I'm guessing to do that I need to have the Nuvi attached when I bring up BC? If I start up BC without the Nuvi attached, the window shows it's using CNNA 2012.1, which is what I used to make the route using Mapsource. So doing a recalc wouldn't seem to change anything, would it?

"..You mention that Base Camp uses the mapping that is in your GPS. Not necessarily so, it CAN use the mapping that is in the GPS but it can also use what you have on your computer from the Map Source data base. (make sure your Base Camp IS using the correct vintage mapping that matches your GPS. "

Yeah, I think that's important, although I don't totally understand it yet. As soon as I can I will start up BC with the Nuvi attached and see what's in the mapset window......hopefully it will say something other than CNNA 2012.1!

Thanks.

Afternoon Deek

I would imagine the map showing in the map window & the (default) map it will use (unless you change that) is map that was used when the route was originally made. So if you made the route in 2012.1 it will probably default to that when you open that route. If you made the route in NT 2008 then it will probably default to & open in NT 2008. if you have that NT map on your computer.

If you open Map Source with no route or no route stored then it will probably open with the map you used last time you were using Map Source.

I really don't know how Map Source or Base Camp will work with the Street Pilot but it should work just fine.

As far as corrupt routing goes when using Map Source with the newer NT mapping? For most simple routes that are made using main roads & solid via points you probably won't notice much of any glitches.

The glitches should start showing up on complex routes that double back or when one leg of the route runs near or across another leg. My most problematic Map Source made routes are (were) routes that take a LOT of via points to force the route to follow smaller roads that the GPS really doesn't want to use (lots of road selection decisions). On those, if it has an older map data base date, all can go screwy.

In Map Source, from my experience, (I make & use a LOT of custom routes) the problems with odd routing lines & phantom turns will start showing up when making or using parts of older routes that have map database indexes that are older than the mapping in either Map Source or your GPS.

One thing you can look at is: you can check your (Map Source made) routes by saving the Map Source route as a .gpx. Now simply open that .GPX file in a text display or text editing program then examining each line that has the word (time) on it. If you find any that have a date "earlier" than when you loaded the current map you are using then you have found a "possible" corruption problem.

Okay, makes sense.

Yesterday I brought up Basecamp without the Nuvi connected. It"defauted" to CNNA NT 2012. Today I connected the Nuvi to my PC, and brought up BaseCamp. In the mapset selector window I have these choices:

CNNA NT 20008

CNNA NT 2009

CNNA NT 2011.4

CNNA NT 2012.1

Global Map

World Wide Autoroute DEM Basemap, NR

The default was 2012.1. So, I am assuming that when I bring up Basecamp, with the Nuvi attached, the program is adding "Global Map" and "World Wide Autoroute DEM Basemap, NR" - without the Nuvi connected to Basecamp I only have the CNNA versions showing. Oddly enough, when I reconnected the Nuvi to the PC, CNNA 2013.3 was added! That's the mapset I downloaded free from Garmin.com when I registered my Nuvi.

Have you seen the Global Map and World Wide Autoroute DEM Basemap, NR on your BC mapset window? I thought I'm make a route using the "newest" mapset I have, but I have no idea what that is....the Global Map or the World Wide Auto (etc.) or the CNNA 2013.3.

So I am confused again.

Afternoon Deek

I'm pretty sure Global Map is always there (it is on both my Map Source programs & in my Base Camp program even with the GPS not connected.

In that Base Camps "select a map" window you should be able to scroll through all the maps that are on your computer & anything that is on your GPS (assuming it is connected to the computer).

I don't have World Wide Autoroute DEM Basemap, NR, I believe that is a digital elevation base map used on the Nuvi, Oregon, Colorado, etc.

Thanks. I think that makes sense! I just need to play around with MS and BC. I did a route in MS CNNA 2013 then copied that to BC with my Nuvi 1490 attached, and recalculated it on BC. Seems to work fine. Then I download that into the Nuvi without any issues.

I think I need to work with these before I ask more questions....I learn something every time I pick up the Nuvi now......

Thanks for all your answers and explanations!

• 3 years later...
e.f.weingartner

Hello, Just bought my '04 R1150RT and it came with a Garmin Street Pilot 2820. I plan to take long trips using backroads for the most part. I don't see a setting in the unit or in the manual for "least use of highways", or "avoid highways". All I see when selecting a route are 'fastest time' and 'shortest distance'. Am I missing something or is there a good work-around here?

Hello, Just bought my '04 R1150RT and it came with a Garmin Street Pilot 2820. ... I don't see a setting in the unit or in the manual for "least use of highways", or "avoid highways". All I see when selecting a route are 'fastest time' and 'shortest distance'. Am I missing something or is there a good work-around here?

I've got a SP 2610, so this might not apply exactly. Look for something like Options and Guidance - you are looking for Custom Road Preferences. In the 2610, this gives you a set of sliders that let you weight the use of highways, other roads that you want to avoid or prefer.

If you have the manual for the 2820, look at page 20 "Adding Avoidances". It says something there about avoiding certain road types.

Generally, if you select Shorter Distance you will get routed on more direct smaller roads and Fastest will usually put you on highways.

Edited by Michaelr11