IGNORED

RIP Huell Howser

Shaman97

Most here are asking "Huell who?"

For those in the Golden State, many are saddened by the passing of this cultural icon.

For more than 20 years, Huell hosted a travellog on California PBS stations known as "California's Gold' wherein he and a cameraman travelld to all areas of the State, finding little nuggets of information and geography, injecting more enthusiasm than you could imagine into the otherwise mundane.

"Hey Look" and "That's Amazing" were his trademark cornpone phrases.

Huell was probably California's greatest tourist, and was responsible for many of our family trips when we asked ourselves "Well, where should we go to now?"

He recently retired (September) and donated his entire collection of the California's Gold series to Chapman University, where the series is being digitized and made available to the public for free.

California's Gold Archive

RIP Huell. We loved taking trips with you.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Definitely RIP. While it took me a bit of time to acquire an appreciation for Huell, I did. His Tennessee drawl made him seem all the more like a regular guy. His style of making an interviewee repeat some nugget of information probably chafed some but, it was his style to make sure that bit of information was digested....just like a professor feeding the answers to a test during a pre-exam review.

He was on the short list of someone I'd really like to sit down with over a beer.

He will be missed.

Most here are asking "Huell who?"

For those in the Golden State, many are saddened by the passing of this cultural icon.

For more than 20 years, Huell hosted a travellog on California PBS stations known as "California's Gold' wherein he and a cameraman travelld to all areas of the State, finding little nuggets of information and geography, injecting more enthusiasm than you could imagine into the otherwise mundane.

"Hey Look" and "That's Amazing" were his trademark cornpone phrases.

Huell was probably California's greatest tourist, and was responsible for many of our family trips when we asked ourselves "Well, where should we go to now?"

He recently retired (September) and donated his entire collection of the California's Gold series to Chapman University, where the series is being digitized and made available to the public for free.

California's Gold Archive

RIP Huell. We loved taking trips with you.

+1 I feel Ike I lost a friend, though I never met the guy. In a world increasingly cynical and jaded, Hewell was a genuine optimist and excited about the simple and the grand.

Archived