IGNORED

PNW/BC Weather, September?????

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

Thinking of a really long loop which would take me into Calgary/northern BC/Vancouver/Seattle/Portland/Brookings,and the coast all the way to Fresno...or the other direction. Total miles would approach 7,000. I have plenty of time (nothing but), but have a hard set of dates in Sequoia N. P. Sept 10-16. Probably take ten days to two weeks to do the points north, including friend visit stops. Ideally I'd go FROM Sequoia, but am concerned about weather in BC at the end of September. At the moment I'm scheduled to fly out with some friends to hike Sequoia, but I went downstairs a little while ago and my FD was not on fire, so I'm thinking....

As far north as Prince George, BC, if that's a worthy route.

TIA

Average day time temps in Prince George towards the end of September are going to be around fifty (the closer you get to the end of the month, the more "around" will mean "below") - rainfall is actually probably a little less in September than in the summer.

For Portland, OR, during the same period, you're looking at average day time temps in the low 60s, but you're more likely to see rain than you would in August or July (this year, oddly, we had no rain - like, really zero inches, in July and August and VERY little through September...we're trying to make up for it now).

I'd offer you a place in Portland, but clearly you're not interested in such offers :grin:

The Oregon coast will be cooler than Portland and likely windy - especially down by Brookings.

For points between PDX and PG, you can sort of vaguely assume a graph where the average day time temp goes down as the latitude goes up. I would say it's a great time for the trip as crowds will be less and you won't have to worry about being too hot. Of course, I grew up in the northwest and then moved to even colder, greyer, wetter southeast Alaska so riding and camping in the rain are not things I avoid.

markgoodrich

Thanks, all, and thanks for the invitations. I've got 9 months to talk myself into it, and convince myself that the RT won't self-destruct along the way. I am mos def not capable of removal of the swing arm and drive shaft to get zerk fittings fitted. Plus, then I'd have to buy a grease gun, and those things are so messy....

Mark:

Nothing really to see in Prince George, it's much better to spend your time in the southern part of BC. Weather should be warm and dry. If it snows, it may stick around for a day or two but that's all. And you just have to keep an eye on the weather channel to avoid the worst of any cold front that comes through. Easy to be flexible since you can find accomodation anywhere. Many of my nicest trips have been late September:

http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/MikeyRC/2004%20Duffy%20Lake%20Rd%20and%20WA%2020%20loop/

And there are BMW repair services in Missoula, Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna and Calgary.

Mike Cassidy

Mark, you won't have a breakdown until about an hour from home.

I meant that Prince George is just a place you go through to get to the Alaska Highway or Hyder/Stewart-Cassiar Highway. Or for exploring the BC inner plateau on a dual sport bike. At that time of year if you only have a few days to a week your time is better spent in southern BC wandering around.

Check out this thread as well:

What I learned on my summer vacation

Mike Cassidy

Mike, hard to believe it's been 10 years since you sent me up that road headed to alaska. Your right of course, PG is just a town on the way north.

September is usually one of the nicest months in Seattle for riding. In addition to the often good weather the best roads are less busy with vacationers and tourists after Labor Day

Archived