IGNORED

Go To HeleN Back...2013

Kinsley

Joe Frickin' Friday

Wednesday's looking ugly. 40 degrees at AM departure, rain likely. No electric vest. Layers, layers, layers.

Dayton, Ohio - ~200 miles south of me - is calling for a high of 79, so hopefully the temperature will climb rapidly as I head south.

See you all in a couple of days. :thumbsup:

Tick, tick....

I know the feeling.

Tires checked. Started packing.

Tick tack, tick tack.

Guess I will check the oil one more time, load the GPS routes and pack.

Tick, tick....

I know the feeling.

Tick tack, tick tack.

Going to get the bike ready and loaded tonight. Cannot wait to see my peeps!!

Lone_RT_rider
Tick, tick....

I know the feeling.

Tick tack, tick tack.

Going to get the bike ready and loaded tonight. Cannot wait to see my peeps!!

Going to take the dog for a walk tonight a local park, then I might remember to check my oil. :)

Lone_RT_rider
Wednesday's looking ugly. 40 degrees at AM departure, rain likely. No electric vest. Layers, layers, layers.

Dayton, Ohio - ~200 miles south of me - is calling for a high of 79, so hopefully the temperature will climb rapidly as I head south.

See you all in a couple of days. :thumbsup:

Yeah, your going to freeze until you get across the vast wasteland. I'll bring homebrew, that will help when you get there. I'll have to sport the topcase, but it will be worth it. :thumbsup:

A few reminders.

Our hotel is near a river and it's the time of the year that we could see bugs, so you might bring something for them.

There is a liquor store up the street. http://www.discountsofhelen.com

You are invited to Turner's Corner at 3:00 on Friday. There's a waypoint for that.

The Brat dinner is at 6:30 Friday.

The Saturday night dinner is at La Cabana (8160 South Main Street) at 6:30.

Our hotel is near a river and it's the time of the year that we could see bugs, so you might bring something for them.

Gee, what do you think they'd like? If I hit something on the way, I could bring that. Otherwise, I'll just have to mix up some sugar water for them when I get there. Most of the bugs I've met in the past seem pretty happy just chewing on me. Anyway, I'll figure something out.

------

Nice n Easy Rider

Gee, what do you think they'd like? If I hit something on the way, I could bring that. Otherwise, I'll just have to mix up some sugar water for them when I get there. Most of the bugs I've met in the past seem pretty happy just chewing on me. Anyway, I'll figure something out.

------

There's always one person in every crowd that the bugs seem to prefer. We just need to quickly identify that person and not allow them to use any deterrent(s). :D

Did you have your hand raised to volunteer Quinn?

------

Most of the Helen variety like beer. They can even get it through leather chaps and tattoos :wave:

Just landed in Raleigh, sort of in the wrong direction. Get home Weds night, then hit the road as early as possible Thursday. But the bike's ready, I brought the GPS with me, and I'm sort of packed. So, how do you check the oil? :dopeslap:

IS IT TIME YET :dopeslap::dopeslap:

Update on the Cherohala Skyway. Deb and I were up there Saturday. There is a 2 minute light at the slide area that routes you on a 100ft gravel bypass. It didn't take any time at all to get thru.

Alan

Nice n Easy Rider

Quinn and I are heading out 12 hours from now. We're going to take a couple days coming down the BRP. See folks on Thursday. :clap:

My lists seem to be complete for tonight. Leaving in the morning for work, and from there to Lexington VA Wednesday evening.

BRP, Carolina Smokehouse in Cashiers and then Helen GA on Thursday.

I look forward to seeing all of you, those I have met before, and those I will meet.

Thanks Ken.

Glenn,

Our last visit to the Smokehouse was disappointing.

It was last summer.

They tried to sell it years ago for millions :dopeslap:

and it seemed to vary after that.

I've been going for 5 decades, not sure I'll go back.

YMMV

Had much better BBQ in Bryson City at the Pig on the River (whatever it is really called).

Tim,

Thanks for the heads up. GPS is already programmed for Cashiers, and Bryson City isn't close to being on the route.

Maybe I will just keep my eyes open along the way and try something that catches my eye.

First part of the journey (4.1 miles to work) went fine, Looking forward to getting out of here mid afternoon.

Glenn

Just South of 107/64 "downtown" Cashiers;

Wild Thyme in SW strip

Franks(?) on 107 S of intersection

Farmers MArket SE corner (very good BBQ and pies)

But, best food is either

just east on 64 in shopping strip where Ingles is.

Jimmy Macs cafe

or in Sapphire Mountain club golf course (another mile or so east on 64) at the Sapphire Mountain Brewing Company.

All should surpass the SMokehouse these days.

Wish I wuz there...

Checked my oil and tire pressure and did basic packing last night.

As usual, you all have NO idea how much I'm looking forward to seeing you!

lawnchairboy

I was confident that the reactor powering the snuggie vault had been appropriately powered down, allowing access.

0 dark thirty take off thursday.

Hopping on the Bernie Train at 0600, detouring to capture the Right Spin along the way.

See y'all at the ranch!!

Glenn, sent you a PM

Bike packed, tire warmers programmed. Pre-heater for engine, transmission and rear drive oil adjusted. Suspension set.

Getting out of here a dark fifteen.

:thumbsup:

F

Bike packed, tire warmers programmed. Pre-heater for engine, transmission and rear drive oil adjusted. Suspension set.

Getting out of here a dark fifteen.

:thumbsup:

Make sure the flaps are up and the stewardess is returned to the upright position and thank you again for flying Air Bernie :thumbsup:

I was confident that the reactor powering the snuggie vault had been appropriately powered down, allowing access.

Yes indeed!

And now, I'm blowing this popsicle stand... heading home to finish last minute errands and relaxing until I hit the road to see all you crazies tomorrow!! :clap:

Yes indeed!

And now, I'm blowing this popsicle stand... heading home to finish last minute errands and relaxing until I hit the road to see all you crazies tomorrow!! :clap:

:clap:

Just finished my last patient and will head home to pack up the bike. Plan on departing at 6 AM with mostly slab for the projected 11 hours or more on the road. Should be there before sunset tomorrow.

Looking forward to spending a couple of days of riding and fellowship with all of you.

At the hotel now. The rivers running fast, but I brought my suit. ;-)

An image I just didn't need... :rofl:

See you tomorrow Shaun. :wave:

RandyShields

Steve, sorry to hear you won't be able to make it. I'm looking forward to catching up on a trip when you get back -- lot's of things to talk about over a beer. While your commutes are longer and more dangerous, I've been traveling each week to Pittsburgh to work, so clearly understand the desire to be home when you can be. Be safe and hopefully we'll see you later this summer or in the fall.

Randy Shields

steve.foote

Packed up and loading the GPS for rendevous with Mattasarus tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see everyone again. Should be an epic weekend!

I'll be swinging by today to check things out, and will probably drop by Friday afternoon, after the rain stops. I'm in the midst of putting my wife's Ninja 250 back together in preparation for putting it up for sale (PM me if interested), so I expect to be wrenching in the garage at least until noon Friday.

After a cool March, the spring bloom is somewhat delayed, and the dogwoods and other flowering trees should be in their full glory this weekend. Saturday's weather forecast looks great, and I'm planning to ride up to Tellico Plains for lunch at the Tellico Grains bakery (just off the square), then return to Ducktown along a back road route that is very "interesting" and typically has very little traffic.

I have only sporadic access to internet, so if anybody wants to contact me, cell phone is 404-702-8637.

The Horrors!!!!

The hotel staff called me and asked why so many people were asking for rooms without a river view :rofl:

Nice n Easy Rider

Whoever made the comment about me having enough air to make it this time must have jinxed me. For the 3rd trip in a row to the mountains (and for the 3rd time in 4K miles) I had a flat in my rear tire. Happened when Quinn and I were on the way to Helen from Little Switzerland where we stayed last night. Since I had to be back in Chapel Hill by 10 AM on Saturday for an unscheduled change in events, I didn't want to risk traveling on the plugged (took 4 sticky ropes; it was a 1/2 inch piece of glass) tire at 4 AM Saturday morning and tomorrow is supposed to be quite wet so I bailed for home. Sorry to miss everyone.

Wow George, I'm sorry to hear this. We'll miss you and hope to see you at the UN or share a FART with you :wave:

Some guys have all the luck.

Or so I've heard.

Look at it this way, you're doing someone else a favor every time you collect the road hazard.

After this you should be good until 2050 or so.

:wave:

Nice n Easy Rider
Wow George, I'm sorry to hear this. We'll miss you and hope to see you at the UN or share a FART with you :wave:

Well Ken, I'm planning on the UN - have a reservation. I figure I'll just carry a new PR3 with me. It will be a PITA but it should insure that I don't get a flat on that trip. :D

SteveHebert

Sure thing Randy. My commute is much less dangerous now that we are not going through the international terminal in Kabul. Contracted flights out of coalition bases now. Makes things less interesting for sure. No more suicide SUV rides through the city to get to the airport!

Have a great time this weekend.

Excellent!!! Its about time you wash your Neon-Roadcrafter Suit :rofl:

Everyone have fun. :wave:

Whoever made the comment about me having enough air to make it this time must have jinxed me.

Well, George, that would be me. My apologies. Glad you got home okay and I will refrain from such comments going forward... :wave:

Wife and I are staying in Helen for a couple of days during a short cage trip. Came over Wayah road yesterday, LOTS of gravel in the corners, which is not unusual but was worse than normal. We are staying at the Hampton Inn, which is also hosting a Morgan Motor Car club. If you thought we belonged to an eccentric group you should meet these folks...

Hope everyone has a great weekend and Ride Safe...

Whoever made the comment about me having enough air to make it this time must have jinxed me.

Well, George, that would be me. My apologies. Glad you got home okay and I will refrain from such comments going forward... :wave:

Batting 1.000 eh Glenn? :rofl:

Archived