IGNORED

first pole-to-pole motorcycle voyage to begin in spring 2013

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

My brother passed this on from a friend of his:

http://www.geomeo.org/

A fellow is planning to ride from the north pole to the south pole on a motorcycle, starting this spring and ending in December. He's still putting all the pieces in place to make the trip happen, but I expect it'll be an interesting blog to read once things get under way.

Should be interesting since the northwest passage is now at least 50% open water. If the route shown is what he will attempt he will need a ship. Many ships now sail right thru. Sad, a few years ago it was hard work in an icebreaker.

Of course going south he will also need a ship in order to reach antarctica.

The Grand Daddy of long distance adventure touring, Danny Liska wrote a book about a very similar trip. Two Wheels to Adventure documents his trip. I will be watching to see how this new guy does in the 21st Century. The actual ride will be covering much of the same ground that Danny covered back in the early 60's. Wonder how he will deal with the Darien Gap?

Paul Mihalka

Missing from Wikipedia is the ride of Ed Culberson, who crossed the Darien with a R80G/S in 198x. It was partially by canoe. He traveled the full length of the Pan American highway. He wrote a book about his travels, "Obsessions die hard". I think his bike is on show in the BMW museum in Greenville SC.

• 2 weeks later...

In December 1960, on a motorcycle trip from Alaska to Argentina, adventurer Danny Liska[5] transited the Darién Gap from Panama to Colombia.[6] Liska was forced to abandon his motorcycle and proceed across the Gap by boat and foot. In 1961, a team of three 1961 Chevrolet Corvairs and several support vehicles departed from Panama. The group was sponsored by Dick Doane Chevrolet, a Chicago Chevrolet dealer and the Chevrolet division of General Motors. After 109 days they reached the Colombia Border with all three Corvairs. This was the first crossing by a standard two wheel drive passenger car. It has been documented by a Jam Handy Productions film along with an article in "Automobile Quarterly Magazine" (Volume 1 number 3, from the fall of 1962).

Archived