IGNORED

Neutral light shows when in gear

AndyS

2003 R1150RT

Neutral light perfectly for indicating a real neutral.

Problem occurs when running in gear, the neutral light occasionally flashes on, or displays a faint glimmer.

Before tearing into the wiring to hunt down a wiring fault, has anyone experienced this before?

Cheers

Andy

Hasn't happened to me yet. Looking at the drawings the first three things that come to mind are:

--Contamination of the transmission switch.

--Wire from the transmission switch chafing and shorting.

These two could be isolated by unplugging the connector that's on the left side, behind the intake tube and below the ABS.

--A more remote possibility is the diode in the starter relay that isolates the Clutch switch from the neutral wire could be leaking. Pull in the clutch and see if the intermittent goes away.

Hope it's not too hard to find.

• 5 weeks later...

Let's take this a stage further, here's what I've found.

1/. The Neutral light connector is disconnected but the neutral light remains lit.

2/. On 2 short occasion, I have found the Neutral light illuminated even with the ignition off.

3/. The sidestand switch doesn't seem to affect it.

4/. I have tried gently manipulating the main loom which runs along the left-hand frame rail passed the ABY/Servo tray. When this is moved (with the neutral switch connector disconnected, the Neutral light starts to dim almost off, and the tacho needle kicks the tiniest amount.

Are there any splices or diodes buried in that part of the loom?

Any thoughts.

photo04022013141055.jpg

photo04022013140919.jpg

photo04022013141105.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Morning Andy

It sort of sounds like the black/brown wire (from) the neutral light is seeing a ground or partial ground at some point in it's run. (this would put the (N) light on with the key on)

Look for a pinched wire loom or screw/bolt piercing the wire loom.

With the (N) light glowing with key OFF that usually points to power back feeding the neutral light circuit on the low (black/brown) wire side.

Does pulling the clutch lever in make the light change it's glow?

Added: If light glows with key OFF-- Maybe try popping the starter relay out to see if the light goes out.

Thanks for those suggestions.

As an aside, when you pull the black lead off the starter solenoid, the load relief relay clicks and I notice the speedo and tacho lights go out.

Morning Andy

That is normal as the starter solenoid is the ground path for the load relief relay pull in coil. (when the starter is being operated the load relief loses it's ground path & opens the load relief relay contacts).

Let's take this a stage further, here's what I've found.

1/. The Neutral light connector is disconnected but the neutral light remains lit.

2/. On 2 short occasion, I have found the Neutral light illuminated even with the ignition off.

3/. The sidestand switch doesn't seem to affect it.

4/. I have tried gently manipulating the main loom which runs along the left-hand frame rail passed the ABY/Servo tray. When this is moved (with the neutral switch connector disconnected, the Neutral light starts to dim almost off, and the tacho needle kicks the tiniest amount.

Are there any splices or diodes buried in that part of the loom?

Any thoughts.

Cheers

Andy

Tough problem Andy. Here are a few thoughts

Idea 1

To light the light there needs to be two different voltages on either side of the bulb. I mention this because with the key off, the side of the bulb that normally carries 12V from Fuse 1 will have a low resistance to ground through other bulbs and through the tachometer, maybe that's why it jumped. Then a short from a wire that carries 12V unswitched, fuses 3, 5 and 6 could be supplying 12v through a partial short on what is usually the ground wire.

Several of the relays are connected to unswitched 12v as well. When you have a lit bulb and the key is off I would pull fuses 1, 3, 5 and 6 one at a time. And also pull the starter and load relief relays. That will give us some more info.

Idea 2

It's a problem in the starter relay. When you get the light on with key off, pull the starter relay it has unswitched 12v, a diode, and a connection to ground through the clutch. In fact pull in the clutch first.

Idea 3

Try measuring the voltages at the side of the neutral switch connector that goes toward the bulb.

It's sounding like a short in the loom.

• 3 months later...

Well, finally got around to looking at the problem.

I feel it is worth posting as it may be a problem that others might suffer. However, I have never seen anyone complaining of this particular issue.

The cause of my problem was that the main loom passes down the left-hand frame rail and then swings underneath the battery tray. The loom had chaffed against the part of the battery box that the battery retaining strap locate in.

The loom is covered in tape, then in this particular area, there is a plastic sheath.

Mine had chaffed through both these layers and onto 3 wires.

Things could have been a lot worse, but thankfully I was left with the intermittent neutral light and a starting issue.

The cure needed was to sleeve 2 of the wires (as the insulation had been damaged but not the conductor. The 3rd wire was held together by 4 strands. This meant cutting out a section and replacing it.

The hardest part (besides finding where the fault lay), was re fixing the plastic sheath and re wrapping the loom section.

Once all was back together the loom was tied back away from the battery box.

Moving the battery box was a real pain. The throttle box is fixed to the underside of it, so the throttle cables had to be removed from the throttle bodies. You know how it goes, the leg bone's connected to the hip bone....

If someone can tell me how to put a link in that actually shows the pictures rather than the link to them that would be good.

Also it might be a good idea to put a walk-through of the picture posting routine in the FAQ section of the site.

Flicker pic P1080946

Flicker pic P1080945

Flicker pic P1080952

Flicker pic P1080948

Flicker pic P1080953

Nice one mate :thumbsup:

Looks like a definite three beers job to me....LOL!

I recently recovered most of the harness on my R1100R. I also checked out every inch of it for rubbing, sharp turn and pinching. Fortunately, it was just the covering that needed replacement!

Hope you and Netty keeping well Andy :wave:.

Hi Phil.

Yes we are both well and I don't know how it happened, we are suddenly Grand parents too!

Bertha (the RT) is back on the road and running sweet.

Man, I love these bikes (warts and all).

Andy

Archived