IGNORED

New 2004 RT or Used 2004 RT

ndfellow

Choose an Option  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am looking at upgrading my 2000 RT with 36k miles on it to a new 04 RT. I have found a couple options and I'm curious what other riders would do.

Option 1 - New 2004 RT with a 3 Year Warranty. I would trade in my 2000 RT and have to pay $6495 out of my pocket, plus pay another $500 after the first 600 miles to get the first service done.

Option 2 - Used 2004 RT w/ 12k miles (12k service just done), 1 year warranty left, with minor character scratchs (tipped over) for $11k, however then I have to attempt to sell my 2000 RT myself. This bike has some accessories with it as well, however will need tires by mid summer.

Is it worth an additional $3k for the brand new bike that has the 3 year warranty and not have to try to sell my bike?

Thanks in advance

I deleted that second thread you were experimenting with. Here's my post:

I know it's not an option in your poll, but there's no way I'd do either. Your 1100RT is, in my mind, a better bike and it's barely broken in. There are some things I like about the 1150RT, but on balance, I strongly prefer the 1100RT.

Goodness gracious--save the money and use it for something else! smile.gif

And here's what Bob Palin had to say:

You forgot the option that many of us would probably choose - keep your low mileage 2000 RT clap.gif

Why would you pay $500 for a first service - should be at most half that.

OK, I'll go vote now.

Edit: snap with David.

As the owner of both a '96 and an '02 I often speculate which I would keep if I decided to sell one or the other (resale value not a consideration). So far I have not been able to decide. In your shoes I would keep the one I have. If you really want the dual sparker you can add it to your bike.

Stan

Two years ago i bought a new 04', I had been looking foe quite awhile, in fact I had just missed David's RT when he was selling it. No real or imagioned complants as i just got tired of waiting and threw a large chunk of cash at the deal.... IF i were to do it again... I would probely buy used, as there are some great deals out there... like a 2000 model with only 36,000 on it.......... Just my $0 .04 worth

I'm the 1 vote for new. I shouldn't be allowed to vote. dopeslap.gif The first svc. as Bob mentioned should be about 1/2 of the price you stated. You save a bunch more by changing your oil and filter prior to bringing the bike in. I did on my 12gs and paid a tad under $200 in atlanta.

I'm a sucker for new bikes so don't pay attention to my vote. grin.gif

If you really want the dual sparker you can add it to your bike.

Stan

What does this take, what is the difference, and why would one do it?

If you really want the dual sparker you can add it to your bike.

What does this take, what is the difference, and why would one do it?

San Jose BMW makes a dual plug kit for Boxers, I have one on my 1150RT. You can buy the kit and do the whole thing yourself, drilling holes in the cylinder heads etc or you can remove your heads and send them to San Jose and have them do it or you can take the whole bike to them and have them do it. I went the latter route which ended up costing me about $1100. The bike lost all its surging tendencies but other than that I really can't tell much difference. I wouldn't do it again as my RT only surged at what I now know to be low rpms (3000-4000).

Basically it comes down to styling. I've got an 04 RT and I like the styling better than the earlier version.

My RT is running better at ~30k miles than it has before, so if you're willing to break in another one, go for it.

Farkles are a good thing. Is the used 04 coming with a bunch o' stuff? :ear:

HTH,

M

What are you hoping to gain with the 2004 RT that you do not already have with your 2000 RT?

I primarly like the look better on the 04 than the 2000. It is pretty much a cosmetic thing only. I was also hoping or thinking maybe the 6th gear would make longer trips nicer, but from what I hear there is no difference.

also hoping or thinking maybe the 6th gear would make longer trips nicer
I find the 6th gear on my 04 RT to be too tall for anything practical, other than long stretches of flat slab at speeds above 80. Living in the mountains, I'll often ride for days w/o ever seeing 6th gear -- and when I do (on I-5) it never stays there for long with grades, passing, etc. For my $$ I'd like a little bit lower ratio in all the gears. 1st is taller than it needs to be by a bunch.

After buying an 04 RT new, I'd never do it again. My bike runs better w/ 21k on it than when new. So, as long as you know where the used bike you're buying "has been" and what kind of maint. has been done, why pay the extra cash for nothing. I find myself almost crying when I see the number of almost brand new 04's on the classified page, going for VERY attractive prices, and often with lots of goodies. I think you could do better than what you've shared, vis mileage, cosmetic condition, and goodies -- at the same or lower price.

I primarly like the look better on the 04 than the 2000. It is pretty much a cosmetic thing only. I was also hoping or thinking maybe the 6th gear would make longer trips nicer, but from what I hear there is no difference.

IMHO I love the 6th gear on the long stretches of slabs! That was definately a selling point for me in getting the 1150rt. The 04's are the best of all the RTs up until the 1200RTs. I personally love the styling, looks and the 6th gear. The 5 speed 1100's just seemed too wound up at hwy speeds for me but again I come from the smooth Nomad. Also this board was and IS a HUGE help in my decision. I just love coming here....just about everyday I learn something new about my ride and everyday I am reminded I made the right decision "for me" on getting the 04RT! clap.gif

I vote to keep the 2000 over a new or used 04. What are you getting for another $3000-7000 out of pocket, besides a warranty? A different headlight, touchy linked/power brakes and a too-tall 6th gear?

Did you notice I prefer the 1100? thumbsup.gif

Unless you're antsy, I'd stay on the 2000 for two more years and buy a clean used '05 or '06 1200RT.

I own an 1100, and have ridden the others. There are a few times crossing Nevada when I could have used the 6th gear, but not enuf to change. I like everything about the 1200 except the looks and servos. I like the way I was able to take out the surge on the 1100, plus I really like the looks, plus I was able to get a creampuff. On balance, with everything considered including money, I would buy another 1100 if I could get a low milage; well taken care of bike.

I vote for the 6th gear since my riding often has long days of slabbing. 6th is fine at 80 mph -- I even ride up the Grapevine, two-up with baggage, and don't have to downshift (unless I get behind a truck!) I also like the brakes.

That said, if I had a nice 2000 R1100RT with 36K, no way would I upgrade. It's great to have a bike that's broken in, and I have no desire to go through that lengthy process again.

I've got a 98 RT and an 02 1150 RS, not exactly an RT but drive train wise, the same.....I'd stick with the 1100. Motor on the RT matches up better to the tranny for real world riding and the 2000 1100 had all the previous issus resolved. Spend a grand on shocks and ride the pants off it.

What are you hoping to gain with the 2004 RT that you do not already have with your 2000 RT?

Ndfellow:

I was in your shoes 18 months ago, traded my '97 RT (65K) for a new 2004, it cost me $9,000.00. I absolutely love the 6th gear, and the smoother engine the twin spark gives.

Being a fellow great plains kind of guy, you would also love 6th gear. When you are rolling down endless miles of prairie, 6th gear is a huge difference (10% less rpm at the same speed as the 1100). Better mileage too. I never regretted my decision, and the deal you are looking at on the new bike looks good to me.

I say go for the new 2004 RT and don't look back!

Bob

thumbsup.gif

ndfellow,

Your 2000 R1100RT is one of the best all around bikes out there. I had a 1999 Tundra green one and really miss it. Keep your 2000. Not having the servo brakes is a good thing IMHO. BTW I ride a 2005 R1150GS ADV and love it except for the servo brakes. I wish I could still have the ABS without the servo assist like my '99 RT had. Good luck with whatever you choose. Peace.

Archived