IGNORED

More Info about Oil than I ever wanted to know

Shaman97

I always get a kick out of people fretting over oil on bikes that rarely if ever suffer oil related failure or damage, and are often times ridden a few thousand miles a year.

It is like the RV guys who insist that a diesel is the only choice because the motor will easily last for 400,000 miles, and then they purchase a new truck every couple years.

I always get a kick out of people fretting over oil on bikes that rarely if ever suffer oil related failure or damage, and are often times ridden a few thousand miles a year.

Same here. For all the discussions on oil I don't think I've ever once heard of a case regarding any vehicle of any type where selection of oil (that was anywhere close to the type recommended for the vehicle, changed at anything close to the recommended interval) caused a failure, or even had any significant effect on the life of the engine (although that last part is difficult/impossible to know as relatively few engines are really ever run to end-of-life due to wear.) This is one area where you really have to try hard to screw up.

Same here. For all the discussions on oil I don't think I've ever once heard of a case regarding any vehicle of any type where selection of oil (that was anywhere close to the type recommended for the vehicle, changed at anything close to the recommended interval) caused a failure, or even had any significant effect on the life of the engine (although that last part is difficult/impossible to know as relatively few engines are really ever run to end-of-life due to wear.) This is one area where you really have to try hard to screw up.

+2 .... totally agree. I use what the manufacurer recommends and change it frequently. In my cars I have always run Castrol and nothing else. Never ever had an issue and I even got 180,000 miles out of a Plymouth Horizon that was still running when I traded it in! It really is not that difficult.

Archived