IGNORED

KLR 650 Curb Weight

Exploreinman

The spec sheet on the 2012 KLR 650 says 432 lbs. curb weight. Does anyone know if that means fully fueled and ready to ride, or is that absent of fluids and fuel?

CoarsegoldKid

My understanding of curb weight is the motorcycle is ready at the curb to ride, fully fueled, oiled, with coolant in the radiator as required. All accessories, luggages, bags, and farkles are in the garage.

That KLR is a heavy bike. You might be able to knock off 15 of those lbs with a aftermarket muffler. The DR650 Suzuki is spec'd at 366 for comparison.

My understanding of curb weight is the motorcycle is ready at the curb to ride, fully fueled, oiled, with coolant in the radiator as required.

My definition of "curb weight" is the actual dead weight of the sow you are trying to pick up out of the mud with 30 extra lbs of glop stuck to it. It is usually inversely proportionate to how tired you are :(

The first gen KLR was 337lbs.

One needs to define the terms of a discussion when making comparisons and stating facts.

337 pounds was a dry weight as quoted by the manufacturer.

In a real-world comparison with a Gen 1 and Gen 2 set up to the same wet weights, the Gen 1 weighed 413 pounds and the Gen 2 428 pounds, while a DR650 weighed 367 pounds. Topgun did the comparison when the 2008 came out.

The true fact of the matter is that a KLR 650, laying on it's side in the sand, weighs 900 pounds. Laying on its side in a wet condition, it weighs 1400 pounds. If cold and wet, it weighs as much as the core of a neutron star.

Tom

The spec for curb weight is not neccesarily "fully" fueled.

Most bike specs will say with at least 80% of fuel capacity....not sure why they do that. They often give a "dry" weight and a curb weight or wet weight, but it is not always FULLY fueled.

The first gen KLR was 337lbs.

One needs to define the terms of a discussion when making comparisons and stating facts.

337 pounds was a dry weight as quoted by the manufacturer.

In a real-world comparison with a Gen 1 and Gen 2 set up to the same wet weights, the Gen 1 weighed 413 pounds and the Gen 2 428 pounds, while a DR650 weighed 367 pounds. Topgun did the comparison when the 2008 came out.

The true fact of the matter is that a KLR 650, laying on it's side in the sand, weighs 900 pounds. Laying on its side in a wet condition, it weighs 1400 pounds. If cold and wet, it weighs as much as the core of a neutron star.

Tom

Wow a neutron star. That is heavy. I once took a late 80's yz250 out of a pickup by myself, lifting it like a barrel. Now I'd be lucky to geta honda zr50 out without help. :grin: A KLR 650 was beyond my abilities...

Well, let me redefine my question. What does the latest model KLR 650 weight ready to ride with a full tank of gas?

Half as much as a BMW R1200 GS. ADV... :grin:

Well, let me redefine my question. What does the latest model KLR 650 weight ready to ride with a full tank of gas?

Call it 430 pounds.

Add 20 pounds for a decent skid plate and some nerf bars - the tupperware is fragile and expensive.

That makes it 450 pounds in a form you'd feel comfortable taking off the paved roads.

I once took turn a bit too early on a desert road and found myself in a sand wash. I had to disassemble the bike (remove luggage, seat, and full gas tank) to get it out of the wash.

Came real close to shooting it where it lay and leaving it for the buzzards...

Tom

Call it 430 pounds.

Add 20 pounds for a decent skid plate and some nerf bars - the tupperware is fragile and expensive.

That makes it 450 pounds in a form you'd feel comfortable taking off the paved roads.

I once took turn a bit too early on a desert road and found myself in a sand wash. I had to disassemble the bike (remove luggage, seat, and full gas tank) to get it out of the wash.

Came real close to shooting it where it lay and leaving it for the buzzards...

Tom

Know the feeling...several times.

Just last month I had to remove my tank bag, tank panniers, top box, and backpack to lift the sow out of this. The riding line to the far right was a fake. It had a 2' deep sink hole in it hidden by water.

mud.jpg

Archived