IGNORED

BMW part number paralink

rottyjohn

Morning John

The nut P/N is 07119904670 FLANGE NUT, torque to 43nm.

Personally I usually don't replace those nuts unless damaged. I just use Loc-Tite on the threads at re-assembly. That nut is a torque prevailing nut therefore the request for replacement.

If I replaced the nut without threadlock but properly torqued, am I at risk?

Afternoon Lemans

Probably not but depending on the amount of (original) nut thread deformation remaining your torque is probably a bit on the high side.

A torque prevailing nut is basically automotive talk for a "lock nut" that is torquable (sp). The lock nut is deformable & consistent enough to impart about the same torque "increase" from nut to nut.

If you are worried about the overall torque, or the nut coming loose, just put a dab of Loc-Tite 290 (wicking) on the exposed threads next to the nut. That 290 will wick in between the nut & bolt & make very firm retention.

This bolt is NOT used to clamp the components together, as there must be rotation.

Therefore the torque figure given relates to a new nut only and is designed with the assumption some rotation of the arm versus the drive housing remains.

Application of thread locker is basically equivalent to application of anti-seize or oil, that is the torque figure achieved is inaccurate due to the added lubrication and the system will be overtightened.

Archived