IGNORED

Deerskin Leathers vs. Cowhide

fisherman

I am considering getting leathers to add to my textiles. A friend of mine mentioned that I should look into deerhide. He seemed positive that it had lots of advantages over cow. Any one have any first hand knowledge. I am not a racer type but enjoy touring and riding the twisties on my 1200GS. Thanks

I am considering getting leathers to add to my textiles. A friend of mine mentioned that I should look into deerhide. He seemed positive that it had lots of advantages over cow. Any one have any first hand knowledge. I am not a racer type but enjoy touring and riding the twisties on my 1200GS. Thanks

We have cow and deer in the backyard.

I'll strap one each to the bumper, drag 'em down the asphalt, and let you know how they fare...

cool.gif

Jerry Johnston

using gloves as an example Deerskin is much more flexable and comfortable but Cowhide is stronger and doesn't tear as easily.

Thurlow Leather used to offer great deerskin leathers and gloves. I did business with them for over 25 years. Unfortunately, in January of 2005, (while I still lived in San Diego where they are located) I paid them for a pair of gloves that had to be made but they never delivered them. I called and went by the store numerous times but they were never open and would not return calls. I was moving to SC in May so I filed a complaint with the BBB. Thurlow never answered the complaint and BBB said that they had several other complaints that were never answered. I don't know if they have gone out of business or ???? but whatever you do, do not send them any money............you won't get what you paid for.

Get gloves and linings in deerskin, but outer layers in cow. The deer is softer and more flexible so it will give you better control feel. Cow is heavier and typically thicker, which is what you want if you need it.

Thurlow Leather used to offer great deerskin leathers and gloves. I did business with them for over 25 years. Unfortunately, in January of 2005, (while I still lived in San Diego where they are located) I paid them for a pair of gloves that had to be made but they never delivered them. I called and went by the store numerous times but they were never open and would not return calls. I was moving to SC in May so I filed a complaint with the BBB. Thurlow never answered the complaint and BBB said that they had several other complaints that were never answered. I don't know if they have gone out of business or ???? but whatever you do, do not send them any money............you won't get what you paid for.

They still have a website at www.thurlowleather.com. I have a faint recollection that Thurlow was involved in one of those trademark/family split/or God-knows-what type of disputes and that one of the companies went under. Or maybe I just dreamed that. grin.gif

I think you are recalling the dispute with another company that was based in Wisconsin that was using the thrulow name. My understanding was that the one in Wis closed.

In the Year 2005, I almost lost my life three different times to deer here in Mountain Ranch, so I say: "The only good Deer is a Deerskin glove". (or pants; or boots, or chops/steaks)

Try to get into a nice set of leathers by Dainese. They're soft and very well made. Those Italians know what they're doing when it comes to working with leather.

I've got a few sets of full leathers by them and love riding with them. The protection is first rate and they're very comfortable.

Quality leather suits aren't cheap and this is not an area you want to save a few bucks and get something that doesn't do what you expect it to. I've seen first hand what happens to an inexspensive suit.

Deerskin gloves are fine but the ones that Held makes using Kanagroo and leather are better. thumbsup.gif

using gloves as an example Deerskin is much more flexable and comfortable but Cowhide is stronger and doesn't tear as easily.

Care to extrapolate on that one--is that based on personal experience? eek.gif

I've spent quite a few hours at Thurlow (Deerskin) Leathers talking with the proprietor about leathers, looking closely at various leathers with a jeweler's loupe and picking at samples with a straight pin. Full thickness cowhide can be up to 1/4" thick, but most of the cow used to make clothing is "split" cowhide and so has MUCH less abrasion resistance than full thickness cowhide (which is so thick, it's impossible to work with). Deerskin has MUCH greater abrasion resistance for the thickness (and can be used full-thickness) and is much more flexible than (full thickness) cow hide.

I heard that the one long-time seamstress who worked at Thurlow recently retired, and the proprietor (who inherited the business from his father-in-law years ago) is also getting up there in years. It wouldn't surprise me if he's having a hard time finding/training a replacement and might even be closing up soon if he can't find someone willing to take up the (deer's) reins! dopeslap.gif

Barnacle Bill will make you custom leathers for around $1000/1100. I wear these on the track. He has many happy customers that race. He is not fast, but the fit will be right and you design it yourself, both colors and patterns.

I gifted myself with a Vanson Jacket and traveler pants for Christmas. clap.gif I love both. They are tighter and heavier than the Stitch, which I still wear for communting, but also do a better job stopping the cold air. My gerbing will fit under the jacket and works well for day rides in the chill. Ben.

here is another positive comment for barnacle bill. He is located in Louisville, KY, so at least some of us East coast riders can get cutom work done "locally" I have often wished I could ride to San Diego to fit/order some thurlow gear. And yes many track day riders were all sorts of off-the-rack leathers and they all seem very good quality.

But Barnacle Bill has some really nice features (is double zipper front is awesome) and if you live within say 200 miles of Ky, it is well worth the drive. Plus like many other vendors, he will repair (up to a point) any of his leathers after a get off.

I was at Keith Code school, in Sept 2003 with Ryan. Guy next to us had three sets of leathers, all barnacle bills. The best looking of the group, we found out, had been down Twice, both times low sides around 50 - 60 mph. It had been sent back to Barnicle for repairs, and like I noted above it looked as good (6 years old) as his new (3 months old) leathers.

That same day there were two other riders with Barnacle bill leathers suites (once you know what you are lookign at they are easy to spot) and those owners also had used many other brands, and all stated the Barnacle Bill suite was equal to any they had owned.

Like I said most had ended up at Barnacle, because he was located East of the Mississippi, and they wanted custom fit, without having to mail order back and forth.

So this is not to dismiss any of the recommendations above (all good suites/vendors) but just to comment, if you live close to Kentucky, and want top of the line, custom fit leathers, check Barnacle Bill out.

http://www.racingleather.com/

George Brown
In the Year 2005, I almost lost my life three different times to deer here in Mountain Ranch, so I say: "The only good Deer is a Deerskin glove". (or pants; or boots, or chops/steaks)

AMEN!

Archived