IGNORED

Triumph Trophy

1springer

I dont believe that they will be in US dealers until Late january 2013. I was able to take a good look at it this last weekend at the International Motorcycle Show and a few observations.

1. The bags are very different. They are not fixed like most they have about an 1.5-2 inch play in them. they idea is that way the weight can move with the bike and the rider wil always have more weight in the inside corner. Smart idea, odd execution.

2. This is a BIG motorcycle. I sat on every Sport-touring bike at the show and the trophy felt the largest. To me when you seeing on this bike is feels like you sitting on a Goldwing.

3. They need to tighten up there finish. There were some things that looked either cheap of unfinished.The cables are what caught my attention the most. My hope is that this was a "Show" model and they will fix these issue before it is released to the dealers.

4.Price/ Newness. This is my personal believe. Never by the first year of a new model. In addition to that they are asking $19k that's a chunk of change for a bike that has no history. IMO BMW can ask that because they have a long history of producing one of the best Sport-touring motorcycles on the market. Triumph has a history with bikes but not in this arena.

Im sure they will sell a good amount of bikes but I also supect that they will have a few sitting around this time next year.

With that all said I do plan on test riding one if I get hte opportunity.

Looks great. Very simiolar to the RTf with almost all of the same features. I've got a little problem with the weight: It is almost 100 pounds heavier than the RT, almmost the same as the K1600GT. I'll probably test drive one anyway.

Looks great. Very similar to the RT with almost all of the same features. I've got a little problem with the weight: It is almost 100 pounds heavier than the RT, almost the same as the K1600GT. I'll probably test drive one anyway.

The German magazine Motorrad put the Trophy SE and a similarly spec'd RT on the weighbridge. RT 621 lbs vs. Triumph 698 lbs (weight fully-fuelled).

662 pounds wet WITHOUT the panniers! What a porker!

That's the actual weight of my 05 RT WITH the panniers AND topbox.

It does have 24 more horses though........

Weight is usually not so much an issue when rolling. Even a Goldwing rides fine IMHO. The issue is at very low parking lot speeds and moving it around the garage. Also, if one compares it to a "wethead" version of the RT, the power to weight will be similar. The tripple may be a little smoother however. The concept of the panniers being able to "move around" a couple inches is new to me. Probably look wierd if you're following one.

Not sure moving bags/shifting weight isw a good idea.

What locking mechanism is involved keeping bag on and how much stress before it fatigues?

I'd need Mitch to weigh in how it could affect moment of inertia.

Triumph builds some good bikes.

My thinking is it's going to be a lot like my old K1300GT but with true RT like ergos.

The recent comparison test in the German magazine Motorrad shows that the heavier and tall-geared Trophy is nothing like the K1300GT from a performance point of view - it is far more like a beefier RT. I think this is what the Brits were aiming for.

The road test rated the Trophy ahead of the RT in every category except brakes. The handling of this particular RT was off since someone had seen fit to supply the machine with Bridgestone BT021's.

Weight is usually not so much an issue when rolling. Even a Goldwing rides fine IMHO. The issue is at very low parking lot speeds and moving it around the garage.

Just an opinion, but I'll add when going fairly fast weight is an issue for me especially in the twisties. I like Triumphs as I've owned 2 of the modern ones. I'm afraid for my taste the new Trophy is just too heavy and won't be on my wish list.

Wow, an LCD dash screen that is actually VISIBLE! I like the looks of that! I am spoiled by the LCD screen on my Triumph Tiger, which is visible even on the brightest day. Seems like that ought to be something the Germans can figure out......The Trophy will be beneficial for we riders, as competition always improves things.

Just based upon the photos, the styling is very similar to the RT. However, if you place photos of it along side the RT I think the RT is a a better looking bike, IMHO. Maybe it is just the paint scheme but the Trophy looks a little bland.

The performance and ergonomic aspects may be another matter.

I think this bike is mostly aimed at FJR/ST1300 owners.

I suspect if another manufacturer were to build a tourer as light as the RT it would be as expensive (or probably even more expensive) than the RT.

Long gone are the days when lighter meant cheaper: today cheaper means heavier.

While the present RT is a perfectly capable bike and will soon get replaced by an even more capable (as soon as teething problems are fixed) bike, both the FJR and the ST1300 are starting to show their age.

Triumph has priced and designed the bike to cover the market segment now owned by the Japanese. My prediction is it won't dent the RT sales figures, but will appeal to those who now own a Yamaha or a Honda or intend to buy one.

Of course Triumph has taken more than a styling cue from BMW but imitation is the best form of flattery, as they say. :grin:

I've always wondered how BMW is able to get the RTs so light. There's no real space-age materials and I'd think the fancy front end suspension would have added weight over normal forks. Also the automotive starter and alternator have a cost. Guess just having two cylinders and no separate liquid cooling saves weight.

----

I think this bike is mostly aimed at FJR/ST1300 owners.

I suspect if another manufacturer were to build a tourer as light as the RT it would be as expensive (or probably even more expensive) than the RT.

Long gone are the days when lighter meant cheaper: today cheaper means heavier.

While the present RT is a perfectly capable bike and will soon get replaced by an even more capable (as soon as teething problems are fixed) bike, both the FJR and the ST1300 are starting to show their age.

Triumph has priced and designed the bike to cover the market segment now owned by the Japanese. My prediction is it won't dent the RT sales figures, but will appeal to those who now own a Yamaha or a Honda or intend to buy one.

Of course Triumph has taken more than a styling cue from BMW but imitation is the best form of flattery, as they say. :grin:

Hi Kakugo, you make some good points about light weight.

However to make your point about the competition complete, one would have to say that the Triumph Explorer was not aimed at the GS. I think the Trophy is aimed at the RT. The problem is now that Triumph have caught up, the RT is about to move on. The Trophy will prove a sweet bike for someone who wants to move away from BMW.

I can't wait to find out if I can get a Trophy on and off its center-stand comfortably. That was the deal-breaker for me regarding the K1300GT, but I did not have similar problems with the "6".

It will be interesting to see what the weight of a liquid cooled RT will be.

Someone said the WC GS is 7lbs heavier.

Does that not include the now-standard ABS?

I've always wondered how BMW is able to get the RTs so light. There's no real space-age materials and I'd think the fancy front end suspension would have added weight over normal forks. Also the automotive starter and alternator have a cost. Guess just having two cylinders and no separate liquid cooling saves weight.

----

No frame. Using the engine and tranny as stressed members saves a huge amount of weight.

Andy

Dave_zoom_zoom
I've always wondered how BMW is able to get the RTs so light.

----

Ultra light weight U-joints, driveshafts and FD components!! :grin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: GOOD ONE!

I actually just joined the forum because of this thread. I have been considering a new bike & The decision was between the K1600, the R1200 & the Triumph. I felt the 1600 although a great bike is not for me after he test ride. and want to wait until I have ridden the Triumph & R1200 same day to make a final decision. Unfortunately no one in Az knows when a Trophy will be here for test riding. In the meantime I did do some comparisons based on some info I found . below is a link to a spreadsheet I built on google docs to try & look at the specs from a non-partisan viewpoint.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtAJx6gn2HLFdHNQUU9ScGFKU2xrY05wUS1DdG5heEE#gid=0

Although I am sure there will be those who have more correct info than I have here.

Not sure moving bags/shifting weight isw a good idea.

What locking mechanism is involved keeping bag on and how much stress before it fatigues?

I'd need Mitch to weigh in how it could affect moment of inertia.

Triumph builds some good bikes.

I just sold a Triumph Tiger 1050 SE. I loved the bike, but my neck couldn't take the riding position. The side cases lock securely at the top, and move a little at the bottom. The hole the at the bottom of the cases is about an inch wide, and lets the bottom of the cases move back and forth. I didn't noticed them move. I never heard anyone complain about failure due to fatigue.

For me, too heavy and too many cc's. Plus it looks way too much like my current ride. Bet it sounds better, though. Any chance they going to offer a smaller version?

I actually just joined the forum because of this thread. I have been considering a new bike & The decision was between the K1600, the R1200 & the Triumph. I felt the 1600 although a great bike is not for me after he test ride. and want to wait until I have ridden the Triumph & R1200 same day to make a final decision. Unfortunately no one in Az knows when a Trophy will be here for test riding. In the meantime I did do some comparisons based on some info I found . below is a link to a spreadsheet I built on google docs to try & look at the specs from a non-partisan viewpoint.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtAJx6gn2HLFdHNQUU9ScGFKU2xrY05wUS1DdG5heEE#gid=0

Although I am sure there will be those who have more correct info than I have here.

The GT would have been a proper comparison, not the GTL and most people would use the 49L topcase for comparison, not the 28L. I would also add a normal price. With BMWs, you'll never find a base price bike. I've never seen one.

I figured on base price due to not having full comparable info w/ the Triumph & had considered adding a line later when I have the info w/ total price (with accessories, dealer prep, etc).

As for he GT vs GTL, other than price many of the stats are similar for the bikes and I figured were I getting one Id opt for GTL. But I am adding a GT column as there are a few items different.

Thanks

Any chance they going to offer a smaller version?

I think the Trophy would have to be immensely popular before Triumph would attempt a smaller version, or it would have to fill a particular niche. In either case a smaller version would be years down the road, IMOH.

I can not, but looking at the video I suspect it is more an ad for the magazine. The January 2013 issue has the article (5 pages)

You can find it on the web but low resolution images making it difficult to translate even if you had the knowledge of the language.

Can anyone translate?

"With the Triumph Trophy SE friends luxurious Tourings now makes an offer. We were interested in how the new proposal, compared with their obvious role model BMW R 1200 RT. More about the touring test you learn in the January issue of the 2013th This appears on 10.12.2012. Here you can browse through the book ever http://www.tourenfahrer.de/aktuelleausgabe/index.html . Have fun!"

Can anyone translate?

"With the Triumph Trophy SE friends luxurious Tourings now makes an offer. We were interested in how the new proposal, compared with their obvious role model BMW R 1200 RT. More about the touring test you learn in the January issue of the 2013th This appears on 10.12.2012. Here you can browse through the book ever http://www.tourenfahrer.de/aktuelleausgabe/index.html . Have fun!"

The article is in German. And I'd need a magnifying glass. Oh well.

Yeah, that online read of the magazine leaves a lot to be desired, visibility wise. It looks like a fairly thorough, German review, complete with comparison charts and graphs. :)

From what little I could make out, it seems as though they liked it. They mentioned the weight of the SE wasn't bad once moving, and that the comforts are close to that of the RT. They end with a question roughly translated as "How much turf does the top dog have to give?"

On a side note, I liked the "Red with blood" Ducati Diavel tour of Romania pictorial. Looks like a lot of fun!

They mentioned the weight of the SE wasn't bad once moving,

I suppose I owe it to myself to try and get the machine on and off its center-stand! That is probably where my test ride will begin and end...

Thought I would chim in here as I have found this Motorcycle thread on the Triumph Trophy interesting.

I owned a 2001 Triumph Trophy, bought it used from the Triumph dealer here in Calgary who was reluctant to sell it to me as it had four previous owners in four years since it was new. Took it home, stripped everything off her and all that was left was the engine on the spine. Found the electrical issues, cleaned her and reassembled. Rode her the first summer and the next issue was the carb's. Bought 7 hours worth of Dyno time, removed the carb's all four of them to get the needle heights and jetting corrected for the altitude here in Calgary. The end result was one fricken nice machine. But time has a funny thing of doing to people in that the only negative issue I had with this Trophy, it was top heavy.

I sold theTrophy earlier this year with the thought Triumph will be introducing the new Trophy soon. Two months ago after it was announced went into the local dealer to see if any P&D's have been announced. Triumph has allotted only three machines to Blackfoot Motosports and already two have been spoken for. The chap that I spoke to knew I really wanted a new Trophy, but he saw after quoting me the price of $ 24,650. out the door, what a lead ballon does when it looses all it's air. I really swallowed hard and asked what is Triumph targeting and the answer was the BMW R1200RT. Not being familiar with the newer BMW's asked him to explain and show me the differences. Eric had a 2009 R12RT on the floor and although it had 114,000 kilometers, it was in nice condition. The price was half of what a new Triumph was worth and I said I would give it some thought. Went home and did some research and discovered the world of the HexHead.

My wife of 42 years told me that I could buy the new Trophy, but I am so close to retirement, I really did not want to add debt to my plate. Now what?

I bought the R12RT home and like the original Trophy have stripped it mainly to clean under the Tuperwear and become familiar with the machine. The only thing this machine lacks is the AM/FM radio, and my iPod can fit the bill in that department.

The more I am around the R12RT, the more I like it as it is a more a slim line and not so porky.

The Trophy will do well I am sure, but sadly because of my age and time is running out, I will not be riding one. Will I enjoy the R12RT, without question, because this machine maybe the last motorcycle I will buy and for the amount of kilometers I ride a year will last for as long as I want it.

Sorry I was so long winded!

I went to a local dealer today that had both a silver and blue model loaded up with everything including the large top case. Very nice and very tempting. I really like the blue. I'm working on arranging a test ride. If I like the way it rides and handles I may pull the trigger. :-)

Doug

Archived