IGNORED

..... Ouray CO June 24 - 28 2013

Caddis

That would be the one. Been trying to talk the Super Ten guys out of trying "Black Bear" and "Imogene" to no-avail. So, maybe we will go and rent a jeep and setup at the stair steps to take pictures of the carnage.

Or, I could take Jean up to the point to look see, then turn around retreat, after proper pictures. LOL

Have any of those Super Ten guys run Black Bear and Imogene on a bike? I'm not saying a very skilled rider couldn't do it, but the Super Tenere would be WAY down on my list of bikes to take on those trails.

Several have done it on a 250cc or 650cc, and those along with me are suggesting it is crazy to attempt with a 600lb bike. Course one has already done it, but admitted not being able to touch the ground through the stairsteps as it was too steep, only dropped it twice, dinged the tank twice along with the usual other stuff.

Someone posted videos of the tight switch backs after Black Bear also, that alone should change a few minds! LOL

I tried to explain, you are going down Black Bear no matter what you do, just a matter how you and bike turns out after is the question!!

Several have done it on a 250cc or 650cc, and those along with me are suggesting it is crazy to attempt with a 600lb bike. Course one has already done it, but admitted not being able to touch the ground through the stairsteps as it was too steep, only dropped it twice, dinged the tank twice along with the usual other stuff.

Someone posted videos of the tight switch backs after Black Bear also, that alone should change a few minds! LOL

I tried to explain, you are going down Black Bear no matter what you do, just a matter how you and bike turns out after is the question!!

Here is a pic at the top of Black Bear

1356042296.jpg

Those who have been there know there is a 90 degree right hand turn at the part of the road past where it disappears in this photo.

I've seen riders walk their bikes down to the first turn.

1356042605.jpg

Notice the bottom left of the pic. The trees grow vertically so you can get a feel for the steepness by looking at the trees.

If I were to do it on a moto it would be small/lightweight.

But some don't care about their bikes and would take anything there.

Here is a parting photo just for effect.

1356042923.jpg

.....I've seen riders walk their bikes down to the first turn.

1356042605.jpg

Notice the bottom left of the pic. The trees grow vertically so you can get a feel for the steepness by looking at the trees.

Pucker factor is high there, isn't it? :eek:

Funny, the thought of doing that trail on a dirt bike scares the sh*t out of me yet I'd think nothing of doing that sort of slope on a pair of skis. The sad part about my comment is that I got my start on dirt bikes and now love to push my K12s to its limits especially in the twisties.

My ridding buddy and I call it "Pucker Point"!

But the view is fantastic. Was part of the Colorado 500 one year. Those guys raced down Black Bear doing wheelies on the straights.

If you guys are crazy enough to get out there on Black Bear, with a big bike or small, I don't think pucker factor is the proper term.

I think maybe broken arm factor might be. That's assuming you are lucky.

dc

Black Bear in June? I don't think so. Doesn't typically open until late July or early August.

Bob and I tried to go up Imogene from Ouray about a week after the Summer Soltice a few years ago. It was not open, but they were working on it. There was a dozer going up from the Ouray side, and you could see the dozer coming down from Imogene Pass. They said it would be open in a few days, but I would want to give it another week after they opened it. It was really wet, think streams running across and down the "road". In addition the road was covered with a layer of ice that would break off as you rode over it. The ice kept me from climbing up to the dozer, though Bob was able to make it.

What Jan said. None of those passes will be open when the S-10ers want to do them.

Doing any of those on a S-10, or any larger dual sport is stupid if you ask me. Maybe engineer up from lake city side, but not Imogene and certainly not black bear.

The cinnamon pass to lake city route to engineer is good, but going down the ouray side of engineer will likely result in an expensive S-10 day for somebody. The first section of engineer route up off the million dollar highway is pretty technical in places with large penalties for exiting the trail inadvertently. YMMV. Absolutely no way I would try it on a big bike.

The ice kept me from climbing up to the dozer, though Bob was able to make it.
The only reason I made it was because I couldn't think of a way of stopping without sliding all the way back down on the ice and taking Eddd out!

Actually, I hadn't realized how incredibly severe the drought in SW Colorado is. Last spring Black Bear opened in mid-June, and as of the monthly water report through the end of November, it remains as bad so far this year.

I find this truly shocking.

But I will eat my words, Black Bear is a possibility.

Actually, I hadn't realized how incredibly severe the drought in SW Colorado is. Last spring Black Bear opened in mid-June, and as of the monthly water report through the end of November, it remains as bad so far this year.

I find this truly shocking.

But I will eat my words, Black Bear is a possibility.

Even with a snow pack well below normal, Black Bear and Imogene would be really tough rides on the Super T.

Even with a snow pack well below normal, Black Bear and Imogene would be really tough rides on the Super T.

Don't know for sure but, I'd bet if Dave left Jean and a few tools down on the lower forty he could do it! :grin::wave:

Pat

AdventurePoser

Man enough to admit, I did BB in a small jeep and it scared the crap outta me. Couldn't really imagine doing it on my GSA. I have ridden some other jeep roads up in the area two up, but BB is very technical....

The cinnamon pass to lake city route to engineer is good, but going down the ouray side of engineer will likely result in an expensive S-10 day for somebody. The first section of engineer route up off the million dollar highway is pretty technical in places with large penalties for exiting the trail inadvertently. YMMV. Absolutely no way I would try it on a big bike.

1357079438.jpg

Yes, we went up that steep right off 550, not many places to stop, mostly banzi type get it now or loose it type riding. Janet led the group up that little rise, while the rest of us were wondering if she had taken some shortcut as she was no longer in sight!

I most likely would put the S10 into TC2 or off, but off allows too much spinning of the rear wheel. TC1 would be ok if you could keep your momentum up, but if not it would not let you spin the rear, so not sure if that would be good thing or not? I could test it on a loaner. :-)

Yep, I remember that hill. I had to come to a complete stop and with "Tucson jets" in my DRZ, almost didn't have enough power to re-start at 12K feet. I never was able to keep up with Janet on any of those passes that day!!

Yep, I remember that hill. I had to come to a complete stop and with "Tucson jets" in my DRZ, almost didn't have enough power to re-start at 12K feet. I never was able to keep up with Janet on any of those passes that day!!

Few people are able to keep up with Janet!

I certainly can't even on my CRF450 when she's riding the XR200.

(Then you can go on a bicycle ride with her, you can keep up, for the first 100 miles at least...)

First 100 miles, LOL.

Jean, you went up that in a jeep, right behind our hoard of bikes/bees. We didn't see you guys again till on top of Engineer! :-) I believe you took this picture before we started up.

Mikko, Bob, David, John, and Phil

Ouray%2C%20Co%20044-L.jpg

John, Phil, Edd and Janet

Ouray%2C%20Co%20045-L.jpg

Firefight911

John, Phil, Edd and Janet

Ouray%2C%20Co%20045-L.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Ed is throwing gang signs!!

Either that or he's about to go

Archived