New York Times reports crime in Canada

Peter Parts

On page 8, this morning, the NYT ran this (small) headline:

"Canada: Three Arrested in Syrup Warehouse Theft"

I think that should stand as a firm correction to those who feel Canada is lacking criminal activity worthy of international coverage.

Ben

Canadians are still in shock over the USA hockey defeat of Canada at the World's in Helsinki.

Eventually things will return to normal levels of criminal activiy

up there.

On page 8, this morning, the NYT ran this (small) headline:

"Canada: Three Arrested in Syrup Warehouse Theft"

A sticky situation . . . .

Yes ... Canada has less crime. But as Robin Williams put it, "Canada is like a loft apartment over a really great party." :rofl:;)

Now that is funny...i don't care who you are (said Larry the cable guy)

It toke me a second to figure out the Canadian joke but after I had a good laugh..

The NYT mentioned that the Quebec police (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Maple Syrup?) have recovered two-thirds of the stolen goop (using large sponges?). I hope it gets labelled properly when it goes on the market and with the proper S&P quality rating.

Ben

Apparently there’s a lot of back story to this.

80% of all the maple syrup production in the world is controlled by the Quebec Federation of Maple Syrup Producers and producers (the people with the trees) are required to sell to them. It’s a punishable crime not to. They control all the warehousing and distribution. It’s a down right, but legalized cartel! Who would have thunk it, eh?

There is a small but vocal group of distributors lead by a Mr. Etienne St-Pierre who has consistently challenged the monopoly of the QFMSP. Whether he was the brains behind this heist has yet to come out.

The syrup that went missing is worth an estimated $30M. That'll cover a lot of pancakes!

I wonder if it was stashed in the Elsinore Brewery?

:grin:

A strange comment.

Maybe hosehead drank it?

If you fell in a vat of maple syrup could you survive by using the air

in empty syrup bottles?

I'm getting a jelly donut, eh...

Great Movie!

:rofl:

"Aboot time!"

I have no idea where Yanks get the idea that we say aboot.

Admittedly, we pronounce route "root," and roof "rufe," but no Canadian says oot and aboot.

Sadly, milk and eggs are also controlled my marketing boards in Canada.

Fubar: you need to try real, natural syrup.

All: Sorry for interrupting a funny thread.

Ron, my Ontario based co-workers and work associates use "aboot" quite a bit. That and Zed, eh. We always refer to them as our polite neighbors to the north.

Yes ... Canada has less crime. But as Robin Williams put it, "Canada is like a loft apartment over a really great party." :rofl:;)

Yep, but the loft apartment also gets the noise of the really great party when all you want is sleep... :)

tell me Canadians don't punctuate the ends of their sentences with "eh"

It may very some by region, I don’t hear it much here in Alberta. Sometimes I’ll type it just for fun. The one I hear on the end of sentences a lot is, “...no worries.”

On one of our first major shopping sprees after moving to Canada I told Donna, “If I’m going to live in Canada, damit I’m going to have real maple syrup!“ But lordy is it expensive!

On one of our first major shopping sprees after moving to Canada I told Donna, “If I’m going to live in Canada, damit I’m going to have real maple syrup!“ But lordy is it expensive!

Not if you own your own sugar bush! :grin:

Not if you own your own sugar bush! :grin:

Yeah but then I’d have the FPAQ cartel to deal with!

There is something deliciously (pun intended) ironic about the fact that the biggest crime story in the USA right now is yet another mass shooting, while the big crime story here is maple syrup.

Not that we haven’t had our share of violent crimes here too, but the timing is poetic.

"Aboot time!"

I have no idea where Yanks get the idea that we say aboot.

Admittedly, we pronounce route "root," and roof "rufe," but no Canadian says oot and aboot.

Fubar: you need to try real, natural syrup.

As a Canadian-American (both paternal grandparents were Canadian born and raised) and having lived all of my "formative years" in eastern Michigan, I've been to Ontario too many times to count and can honestly say I have heard Canadians say "aboot". My great-uncle from Peterborough was one, a cousin from St. Catherine's, Ontario was another. Heard it in Toronto as well. My BC friends do not say it at all, they sound like they are from MinneSOta.

Route is pronounce root, a creek is a crick and roof rhymes with spoof - or not.

As for syrup, pure maple sucks! Had it once and had to throw out a beautiful stack of buttermilk flapjacks. When given some by a friend, it took me two years to use it mixed into the aforementioned Mrs. Butterworths. Still, I'm glad the Q.P.P. got it back. Sucks that 2/3 of it has to go through the system like that, but, whatever.

Have a happy holiday, you hoser, eh? :rofl:

The one I hear on the end of sentences a lot is, “...no worries.”
I thought that was an Aussie thing.

Archived