IGNORED

Full Synthetic Oil in New Tech Guide For Camheads?

azokie

My dealer informs me just recently that a recent BMW tech/service guide is now recommending full synthetic 20W50 for camhead engines and said that is what they will use at my 6K mile service coming up soon.

Anyone confirm?

Afternoon azokie

I have an older service bulletin showing that (20w50 syn) is OK for the 1200 hexhead but so far nothing stating that for the camhead.

There m-i-g-h-t be a BMW service bulletin or service advisory showing the 20w50 OK for the camhead but so far I haven't seen it.

Easy enough to get the straight scoop-- Either call BMWNA & talk with a rep, or simply ask your dealer to print that service advisory out & give you a copy (or at least ask to see it). If all they will do is let you look make sure it is for the 1200 CAMHEAD & not the hexhead engine. (I will be surprised if they can provide an advisory that it is OK in the camhead).

Probably go something like-- well, we have it here somewhere, I remember seeing it, just can't seem to find it at the moment)

Just tell then you want a copy of that advisory or bulletin for your personal records as 20w50 ISN'T listed in your riders manual & you would like to have WRITTEN confirmation that using a non riders-manual specified oil is OK by BMW.

If they can't or won't show you a BMW advisory/bulletin recommendation then insist that they follow yours rider manual on oil usage.

My dealer informs me just recently that a recent BMW tech/service guide is now recommending full synthetic 20W50 for camhead engines and said that is what they will use at my 6K mile service coming up soon.

Anyone confirm?

Should I assume that means we should use synthetic oil immediately AFTER the first "run-in service" (600 miles)? All my Triumph triples specify fully synthetic oil immediately after the "run-in" service and the service manager has told me the oil in the bike from the factory is a "special oil". It may be mineral oil based or non-synthetic oil I dunno', but she says it's pretty important to get it changed out certainly by 1000 miles. Any thoughts on this..... :S

It's a silly requirement as Porsches, AMG Mercedes, and Corvettes all come with Mobil 1 factory filled.

Who would ever use dino oil if it's nothing but a breakin oil allowing all kinds of wear? It's not and it doesn't but still synthetic is better.

---

Should I assume that means we should use synthetic oil immediately AFTER the first "run-in service" (600 miles)? --- Any thoughts on this.....

Afternoon Coach

BMW's recommendation is in your riders manual, probably 6K (6000 miles). Until A credible BMW dealer or service bulletin/advisory shows up for all to see, personally I would go by the last credible source & that IS your riders manual.

If you want to push the synthetic oil a little earlier in the miles category that probably won't hurt anything. Just make sure your bike has stabilized on oil usage & doesn't burn much of any oil. If you are still adding oil to the engine between oil changes then you might wait a while longer before switching.

Effjay

That 1999 bulletin is for synthetic at the 6000 mile service. In 2006 they changed that to synthetic at the 600 (first) mile service.

Terry

Who would ever use dino oil if it's nothing but a breakin oil allowing all kinds of wear? It's not and it doesn't but still synthetic is better.

Makes me wonder how engines made it all this time with dino oils only.

As usual, I vote, follow DR's advice. :lurk:

I finally got back to the dealer and there is no bulletin or service notice. The service manager said they have the BMW servie program which, for any given service interval, details

the parts, chemicals and labor. He said about 2 months ago they noticed that BMW had changed, for camheads only, the oil from dino to full synthetic. That's what they are now using but he said no issue with using what the owner manual prescribes.

I will use the synthetic to see if there is any significant oil useage. So far at 6000 total miles, there has been some oil use but not significant.

dirtdreamer50

My '12 RT came with synth installed. Service manager said that all new bikes cameg with synth from the factory. I used Mobil 1 at the 600 mile change as advised and all is well. No noticeable oil usage either.

BMW autos come with Synth and have 15k mile O/f change schedules. Seems to me like their water cooled bikes should have the same schedule as their autos, but shorter for the air/oil models, if all are using similar synth lubricants.

Archived