IGNORED

Shinko 705 Radials

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

If you haven't yet, give a set of Shinko 705Rs a try. I've spooned on a couple of sets and they work. Getting about 7500 miles out of a rear and 12500 from the fronts.

They are reasonable off pavement and in the rain. In short, a pretty good tire!

And the best part? You can buy a set for less than $200.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm leaning toward the 705's to replace the Tourances next time. I'm curious as to the pressures you run to get that performance and mileage out of them on my 1200GS?

Thanks for any info.

Curt

Edit: definitely going for the radials also, sounds like they're superior to the two ply

Running 36-40 front and 40-42 rear,depending on load.

I'm rider or rider/gear only.

I ride all over the western US at these pressures.

Probably ride many of the roads you ride,as I'm only two hours south of you.

JR356

I've ran their Raven a bunch of times on many different bikes and their Verge (both sport touring tires) on a few bikes and really liked them.

The Ravens are what really sold me on Shinkos.

I have run the 700s on my DR650 with great success dual sporting. I remember there being some concern a few years back with ply separation and blistering on the 705s when run on big bikes.

It sounds like they may have fixed that if you're getting that kind of mileage. Where are you getting them at that price?

Thanks, JR

Matt,

Motorcycle Superstore has them for $170 total for both the front and rear big GS radials.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11/0/Motorcycle-Tire-Finder/Adventure-Touring-Tires.aspx?WT.ac=ADV_Tires_-_Main6x6_1_SS11_TireFinder#&&Back=1-25-5-0-11-0-0-0

I haven't bought tires from MS, but their customer reviews generally suggest thatt service is good and shipping is quick.

Curt

• 1 month later...

I'm curious. I would be replacing Tourances with the 705R's. Does anyone who has run both the Tourances and the Shinko 705R's find any advantage to the Shinkos on gravel and dirt, or off-road in general?

Appreciate any feedback.

Edit: This would be on a R12GS

Curt

My vote is the dissenting one. I ran them on the little GS and was underwhelmed. Marginal wear. Marginal off road traction. I removed it with 50% tread left and gave it to a friend. Put on the Heidenau and won't look back.

Archived