IGNORED

Fuel Filler Cap

Highway41

When refueling, I have yet to find a position that is not awkward. Any you guys try to rotate the filler cap assembly 180? Bill

Try this.

GS Filler reversal

Holy cow! eek.gifeek.gif You Beemer guys just amaze me with the trouble you are willing to go to to change some little bitty itsy thing that you think could improved upon..Don't get me wrong..I'm not knockin it..I wish I had the ability and confidence and desire to tackle this stuff like that thumbsup.gif You're definately a different breed though grin.gif

I've never had any issues with it

I don't lose any sleep over it and thus haven't gone to the trouble of doing it. As long as I put the bike on the center stand while fueling, I'm OK.

Before I found out about the Dremel surgery required, I did try simply flipping it. 'Course it didn't work....... blush.gif

Heck I dont even do that. I put it on the side stand to swip the card, get the pistol, hit da button, and lean it back up straight and filler up. Ya gotta stick the pistol so far down in the tank on the ST anyway, its hard to make a mess.

... damn that sounded bad. blush.gif

Well, I've never spilled a drop (yet) dopeslap.gif but I really like the idea of turning the gas cap around 180 degrees. I always thought it opened backwards anyway.

If it's any help I reversed mine on the 12GS and didn't modify anything. Just unbolted it and turned it and re-bolted it. Definitely makes fueling on the center stand easier for us 5' 10" folks.

Thanks. Was exactly what I was looking for and my Dremel doesn't need batteries. I do need something to do during the long cold winters here in South Georgia.

Depending on how you refuel and the type of nozzle, pressure can be put on the cap. I didn't notice until it broke and fell off one day. Turning the cap around might make it easier to keep the nozzle and pollution collar away from the cap especially for us short folks.

Just in case anyone is wondering why BMW have the cap open towards the rear of the machine, it is because European Union vehicle construction regulations require it. The reasoning is that if the cap opens during a crash impact, the rider will push it closed as they slide over it, rather than having the family jewels removed by the cap eek.gif.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

St0nkingByte

I'm glad this thread came up because I've had a devil of a time putting gas in my new RT. I thought it was too stupid of a question to ask but whats the trick? I tried putting the nozzle all the way in, like a car, and ended up with gas pumping but at a very slow rate. I think it ticked off the pump somehow. I tried pulling it part way out and it pumped but I ended up splashing gas all over.

I'm not exactly new to motorcycling but the tank on my other bike has an inlet more like a gas can and this RT has this fancy inlet that looks like a car's but doesn't seem to work like one!

I don't know if the RT filler neck is similar to the GS, but I had similar problems on the GS.

The first thing I did was to remove the rubber extension neck fitted to the bottom of the metal filler neck. This could be done by hooking a finger underneath it and pulling it out.

The second thing was to drill a 5mm hole in the side of the metal filler neck. This allows air to escape through the hole without blowing fuel back up through the filler neck opening. This modification requires the filler neck to be unbolted and lifted up out of the tank.

While doing the hole modification I also reversed the filler cap. This did require trimming the plastic so the filler cap would close. And one of the 3 rubber spacers around the filler neck had to be cut in half.

Since performing these modifications I've had no problems with refuelling.

Just in case anyone is wondering why BMW have the cap open towards the rear of the machine, it is because European Union vehicle construction regulations require it. The reasoning is that if the cap opens during a crash impact, the rider will push it closed as they slide over it, rather than having the family jewels removed by the cap.

Cya, Andy

That makes sense now that you mention it Andy! I know that's something we need to be mindful of as we strap on accessories around the handlebars. On a ride last summer I had my GPS and a video camera RAM mounted to the handlebars and an off duty motor officer riding with us mentioned the effects an abrupt stop might have on my continued capacity to participate in another fun hobby... It got me thinking about at least being more careful how and where I position that type of stuff.

Jim VonBaden
Just in case anyone is wondering why BMW have the cap open towards the rear of the machine, it is because European Union vehicle construction regulations require it. The reasoning is that if the cap opens during a crash impact, the rider will push it closed as they slide over it, rather than having the family jewels removed by the cap eek.gif.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

In that case my Tank Bag mount might be a bit painful! dopeslap.gif

01-Tank-bag-bracket.jpg

01-Tank-bag-mounted-side.jpg

Jim cool.gif

Archived