IGNORED

He's in jail now

Kathy R

I can now finally tell the whole story.

I just received notification that the man who hit me plead guilty at the end of Nov 2012. The prosecutors struck a deal with him in order to get a guilty plea without a trial.

He escaped the Felony charge, which is a big disappointment to me. I and the witnesses wanted to do everything possible to see that he didn't do this to anyone else, but I guess I can't really be sure of that. Perhaps this will deter him in the future, and perhaps not?

He plead guilty to:

Reckless Conduct

60 days in jail

24 months conditional discharge

fines and costs $205

obtain a mental health evaluation and follow all recommendations

to not violate any criminal statutes of the state of IL

to not possess a firearm or dangerous weapon

to have no contact with the victim (me)

This is what I know about what happened on 5/25/2011

I was riding alone back to western N.Y. from Torrey Utah. The weather had been treacherous and I had spent the past 24 hours dodging tornados in the midwest. (This was within a day of the Joplin MO killer tornados) There was a window between tornado warning areas where I could get 111 miles east to Hammond IN before having to stop again and wait some place safe. I was taking interstate all the way home, since it was the safest and fastest way to go.

For about an hour I had been traveling 5mph over the limit, along with a small group of cars. You know how when you travel you find your people, folks who travel the way you do? Well, these folks were courteous and traveling my speed and they didn't mind me being a motorcyclist. We maintained our distance, but I noted we seemed to be around each other for a long time. We would pass the occasional truck or slow car, but for the most part everyone was passing us and that suited us just fine.

Near Joliet IL we came upon a sudden short span of road construction. In quick succession I saw the following signs:

STAY IN YOUR LANE

55MPH (normal is 65)

$ 1000 FINE FOR SPEEDING

At the moment I could read those signs I was in the passing lane, having just passed a slow moving car. Since there was no time to do otherwise I stayed in the passing lane and tapped my brakes to let the guy behind me know I was slowing down. He was one of my pack and he slowed too, but was a little close to my six. I gently motioned for him to please move back and he eased up and gave me a little more space. All good. All friendly. I remember thinking how nice the drivers were today.

I concentrated on observing the pavement, as it was broken up and you know how that can be. I realized they had just recently paved the right lane. It was about 3.5-4 inches higher than the lane I was in. I thought, well there is no way I could change lanes anyway. No biggie. This was a construction zone of less than a mile and I was going 55mph. It was not a problem. No one else seemed bothered. No one passed me on the right. We all were taking it in stride.

As I approached the end of the construction I rechecked my mirrors to be sure I could move right and I put my signal on. I moved right. While doing so I noted a car, about 4 back, that was moving much much faster than the other cars. It was passing cars using the right and left lanes, jumping them like checkers.

No red lights went off in my head, other than to think about how to keep him moving past me? I saw that the cars that had been in front and behind me while I was in the left lane were still riding out there. They hadn't moved over, as I did. This meant that the speeding car would have to jump us too. I moved up slightly, so there was enough room for that speeding car to jump us.

Then the car was next to me, on my left. I noticed the unique color of the car and the vanity plate and then the car jerked to the right - directly in front of me - and the brake lights lit up. That was the last thing I saw, a car bumper about a foot from my front tire.

What I knew on some level was the following:

He was no longer going much faster than me

He was hovering next to me for an odd long amount of time, but it was seconds, not minutes.

What I realized later:

He had come up through traffic to take me out?

He had gauged when his car was only a foot off my front tire before he yanked the wheel hard right.

When I came to I recognized that I was on my back, laying in what I imagined to be the roadway. I could not believe this was my fate? My mind raced with "NO THIS DID NOT JUST HAPPEN". "WHY???!!!??"

Slowly I began to hear the gentle words coming from over my head "What's your name?....What day is it?....What time of day is it?...What's your name?....What day is...."

I answered, "Kathy....Thursday....sometime in the afternoon"

And then I started screaming " WHY!!?? WHY WHY WHY WHY

And this wonderful voice said: "My name is Jim. I've got you. I'm a paramedic. I'm a rider. We got him"

I relaxed immediately. I knew I was going to find out WHY? I was going to be able to make sense of this? And then BAM the pain hit me. (and some of you unfortunate souls know what I mean)

Jim and his wife Paula had been traveling along with me for some time, in a red car. He is an ex-cop. At the time of the attack he was in front of me in the right lane. He and Paula were both watching this guy come up through traffic and Jim said he "Smelled something bad was going to happen". They were both watching in their rearview mirrors. He said as soon as the guy swerved in front of me the nose of his car dove as he braked hard and I flew through the air "bouncing no less than five times down the roadway" at 65mph.

Jim braked hard and pulled to the right median and immediately hit his grill mounted emergency lights and began to back up. The attacker must have seen the lights and thought Jim was an unmarked car. He too pulled to the right median, but slowly started to accelerate forward from his near stop, as if he was going to just leave. Jim moved decisively to back up quickly to the Perp's car and block him in before he could really get going. Jim angled his car to make escape more difficult. He and Paula jumped out of their car. Jim shouted and pointed at the driver to STAY RIGHT THERE AND DON'T MOVE. Paula stationed herself where she could observe the driver and prepared to jump into her car and give chase if needed. Jim ran back to me and started accessing my condition.

I later asked Paula if the guy was shaking or crying or what? She said, in the coldest of voices, "Oh no, he couldn't be bothered with you. He was annoyed that he had to wait."

It appears all the drivers in my pod - 5 cars in all - stopped to give aid and to do what they could to detain this guy - if needed. The witnesses included an off duty cop from Springfield IL and a medical doctor. When the State Trooper arrived they were screaming at him to handcuff the attacker for murder/attempted murder. Some folks thought I must surely be dead.

According to the witnesses the ST took offense to the screaming and took it personally. He appears to have bristled at anyone telling him what he should do. He asked the Perp what happened and was told that I had "tailgated him and rammed him with my motorcycle". The ST wrote the Perp two moving violation tickets; Improper Overtaking and Improper Lane Use.

Move to July 2011 and traffic court day. The Perp pleads Not Guilty to the two moving violations and demands a jury trial.

{Yeah, this is the part of the story where I later was convinced he was a Sociopath, exhibiting an arrogance that astounds. }

At this point, the Prosecutor has to look at the case. It doesn't pass the smell test and so he contacts Jim, my witness. As an ex cop Jim is a professionally trained observer and was able to explain exactly what happened.

In November 2011 a grand jury agreed with the Prosecutor deciding a Felony had indeed been committed and the charges were upgraded.

Since then the Perp's defense attorney has been going to court every month or two for scheduled court dates. I was told eventually the judge sets a Trial Date. In the mean time the Prosecutor had made an offer to the Defense. Nov 27th the Perp accepted the deal and plead guilty.

This guy is bad. With a history of getting off (DUI and Domestic Abuse) he very likely thought he'd get away with this senseless attack. What I wonder is what has he done to other bicyclists and motorcyclists in the past? He's 31 years old. I don't think this is the first time he's done this. I hope it's his last. At least for 60 days he can't hurt anyone.

Imagine what would have happened if no one stopped to give witness? I would have been a motorcyclist who crashed. It happens every day.

Jeez PB, can understand your questioning "Why". Be glad the idiot is not in your neck of the woods.

How is the riding coming along?

Bill

Wow. That's horrible. That miserable POS needs to be taken out. Glad some justice was done. He shouldn't be free to roam around society.

The sentence is minimal and there are proably only two things here that have at all gotten this guys attention. And he surely won't care whether his insdurance co forks over more compensation to you.

First, he got hit wih an attornies bill - proably not that much given it never went to trial- but perhaps still $1K or so.

Second, its at least even up he owns firerms now prohibited- but I doubt he'd turn anything in for storage. Some jurisdictions, but too few, actually take illegal firearms possession seriously so perhaps his next run in will cost him bit more when he's caught with one.

Kathy, what a well written insightful account of that day. Since justice doesn't seem has been served in this case, my thoughts are with you on your emotional healing as well as the physical part. I've heard radio talk show shrinks suggest writing a letter - even if just sent to yourself - to vent anger of victim abuse or perhaps situations like this when confronting the perpetrator directly is not possible. No need to comment publicly how you are doing in this regard.

As a former fire chief who has been party to several motor vehicle incidents run through the "justice system", I'm sadden but not surprised at the complete lack of justice in your case.

I only hope that the outcome brings you some peace and closure.

Kathy,

They are out there.

In one of my hit and run situations they guy passed a gas station while i was still flying thruough the air.

A mechanic noticed the truck tearing down the road and noted the driver's appearance.

Later in the day he saw the truck (w/damage to front right) and driver going the other way

so he jumped in a car and followed, getting the tag etc and called 5-0.

(no cell phones 40 years ago)

The police went to the residence, found the guy, who was stinking drunk. He admitted hitting a "bicycle" the day before but told them the person was fine and said to go on.

They found 1/2 of a decal from my rear fender imbedded in the damage to his truck, no question about that part.

Turned out the mechanic had dated this guy's daughter in high school so I was fortunate the mechanic didn't recognize him and decide to let it slide.

In court record discloses multiple DWI (as called back then) and multiple issues w/the law.

Judge only gave him driving restriction, to work and back, since he was the sole support of his wife/daughter/grandchild.

I got nothing (except for survivng and what I sold the R50 for).

Being young and having survived (he literally ran over me leaving a tire tread impression and then booting me over a 100 feet through the air) I was feeling all warm and fuzzy as in he'll learn

and his family won't starve so this could be a good thing.

Weeks later, I'm in my car at a stop light.

Green light, we start, when a white pickup truck flies thru the intersection and I narrowly avoid the collision.

As the shock subsided I noted to a friend in the car, "did you see the damage to the right front of the truck? That was where he hit me last time."

So folks do intentional things to others.

Some use their vehicles to hurt others.

Guarantee it wasn't the first time for your driver and it won't be the last unfortunately.

If he thinks (sic) he can get away with it, he will.

Glad you are getting a chance to move on.

Go ride like a girl woudja and have fun.

:wave:

WOW! Tough reading. The best vengeance you can have is getting a good life, do what you want and like, show the he didn't succeed to mess up your life. One of my slogans :) : Every day is the first day of the rest of your life... Lov'ya

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Kathy,

I'm glad this part of that is over for you. It is very comforting that there are people out there who will stop and help others.

I think you should send the perp a copy of Modern Bride immediately after he starts serving his sentence. :thumbsup:

Peter,

An excellent point and I'm sorry I didn't emphasize that aspect of the incident in my post.

Surely a wonderful endorsement that there are mostly good people out there.

Kathy,

Do you think your "pack" knew you were a female rider?

Glad to hear there will be some satisfaction and at least some punishment. Hope you continue to heal quickly Kathy.

Thank you Michael. I'm much better than I was and that knowledge makes every day a joy.

Jeez PB, can understand your questioning "Why". Be glad the idiot is not in your neck of the woods.

How is the riding coming along?

Bill

Thank you Bill. I can tell you that I was, well, terrified all last summer. I worried that he'd come in through a screen window at night. Part of that was the pain meds, no doubt, but your self preservation mode goes into high gear. I kept telling myself he'd never travel that far to get me, but I was never convinced. One day after I'd been home a week my cousin monkeyed around with my patio door handle and in doing so he caused the lock to be inoperative. I was in a panic all night.

As for the riding, I have a borrowed bike and I've been out once for a good 2 hour total ride in Oct. Now winter is here, and the bike is still in my garage. My thoughtful friends know that just having the bike to look at is part of my healing.

Wow. That's horrible. That miserable POS needs to be taken out. Glad some justice was done. He shouldn't be free to roam around society.

Whatever happens in jail, it can't be good. Hopefully, he'll serve the whole 60 days.

Besides the criminal consequences are you being compensated by his insurance company or seeking civil remidies?

HIs insurance coverage was $100k. In order to get that I had to sign a waiver and state that I would not sue him. The bills exceeded the coverage, but at least it was something. My attorney said this Perp had nothing to sue for anyway; 31 years of age, with a 13 year old child, a wife and an infant child, two car payments and very little income as a tow truck driver at a home improvement store.

First, he got hit wih an attornies bill - proably not that much given it never went to trial- but perhaps still $1K or so.

I suspect it's a bigger bill. By my account his defense attorney had to go to court about a dozen times since January 2012. Makes me smile just thinking about it. In fact, I have enjoyed knowing this has been hanging over his head for a year and a half. I'm not sure you can worry a sociopath, but I believe you can bother them.

Behavior like that guy's makes my blood boil.

I'd bet he doesn't complete his probation without further violations.

He's lucky some of the witnesses didn't take him apart.

The western justice system is seriously messed up.

After what I have been through I believe that much is tilted to the favor of the criminal and they know it. His family wrote a couple letters to the court saying what a nice guy he is. I was told such letters mean nothing to the court, but the fact that this fellow could commit attempted murder and go to jail for 60 days is beyond the pale. I was told by the Victim's Advocate that "...had you died...we could have done more." I explained to them that the fact that I spent over $2000 on protective gear shouldn't get him a lighter sentence. I was told over and over that "....this judge won't give him more than 60 days, although technically he is subject to 1 - 4 years".

However,this Perp grossly underestimated this Prosecutor's office. Bad mistake. Whoops!

Kathy, I've heard radio talk show shrinks suggest writing a letter - even if just sent to yourself - to vent anger of victim abuse or

Thank you.

I have to admit that confusion over what happened to me was more prevalent than anger. It didn't make sense and I needed it to make sense. Why did this have to happen? What was the point? Why would he do it?

One of my neighbors recognized early on the struggle I was having that summer, in trying to make sense of the WHY?. She gave me The Sociopath Next Door and that brought me some peace.

Then, of course, when I found out he asked for a jury trial and then the charges were upgraded to a felony, well...I was pleased. I was downright happy.

I had solved the WHY = he's a mental case.

I had some good closure in knowing that he out smarted himself. To know that continues to make me smile. This could have dragged on for a decade and it would not have bothered me. For me, his situation has been a side show.

What has mattered the most to me is the progress my body has made. I am grateful for the body I have and for how it mended itself.

I have led a charmed life up until the age of 56 and now with this horrid blip I look forward to more life. I'm lucky and I know it.

As a former fire chief who has been party to several motor vehicle incidents run through the "justice system", I'm sadden but not surprised at the complete lack of justice in your case.

I only hope that the outcome brings you some peace and closure.

Thank you (and all FF/EMT/LEO) for being there for others, Ed. It matters SO much.

I still think of how much more horrible this all would have been if Jim and Paula weren't there for me. Hearing how upset they were and how upset the other witnesses were at the scene helped me realize how many more angels there are than bastards out there.

They are out there.

Go ride like a girl woudja and have fun.

:wave:

Right and RIGHT! :wave:

Every day is the first day of the rest of your life... Lov'ya

You sure have that right, Paul. Love you too!

Perhaps, (and I do hope) he finds love in his heart while in jail. :/ Just glad you're still with us! :thumbsup:

Pat

Me too, Pat. I hope he finds out he's not king of the sociopaths

Me too. Coming to was the best and the worst, all rolled into one.

Kathy,

I'm glad this part of that is over for you. It is very comforting that there are people out there who will stop and help others.

I think you should send the perp a copy of Modern Bride immediately after he starts serving his sentence. :thumbsup:

You know it, Peter.

Do you think your "pack" knew you were a female rider?

Nope. Jim mentioned that they fully realized it when they cut the jacket away. At that point only my helmet visor was open. I'm not sure my voice was feminine at the scene :grin:

" I explained to them that the fact that I spent over $2000 on protective gear shouldn't get him a lighter sentence. I was told over and over that "....this judge won't give him more than 60 days, although technically he is subject to 1 - 4 years".

Kathy, that is not quiet correct, if it would not have been for your quality gear and you surviving the accident, he may have just been able to walk away with no penalty or probation only. Surviving is very important.

Kathy, I'm just glad you're healthy and still with us. You encountered a truly ugly person, and I am sorry for that.

I am reminded of my father; he didn't want me to ride because he would warn me that there were people out there exactly like the one you encountered. This was his concern more so than "accidents", the cases where it wasn't an accident.

I'm just glad you're alive and well :thumbsup:

I think a lot of us didn't get the entire gravity of this sordid tale because you couldn't spill the details. Just sooo glad it's all winding down and you're on your way back up and out, no one gave you a chance of not whipping it. The creep didn't know who he was messin' with : )

Kathy, first and foremost I'm glad you are for the most part ok. I'm sure mentally the wounds heal slower. Thanks for sharing your engaging story and sorry the outcome couldn't be worse for that SOB that knocked you off a perfectly good motorcycle. I wish you the best. :wave:

I sure hope your injuries have healed well.

I find that there are a lot of people who have contempt for bikers, especially when the feel invincible in there cars. This coward probably would not have attacked you if you were riding in a group.

Good on you for having such a clear account of it all after such a crash.

Don't know you Kathy but glad you've regained your health for the most part and glad the surrounding pack of drivers were cognizant of the situation. Of course the culprit wouldn't have had the courage to act so badly if you were with a group of riders but if he had then it wouldn't have gone very good for him.

And thanks for your courage to continue on and post this for others to benefit from. Your healing is the most important thing from this point and good to see your focus is on that.

And thanks for your courage to continue on and post this for others to benefit from. Your healing is the most important thing from this point and good to see your focus is on that.

+1 :thumbsup:

Wow, I never realize the circumstances of your ordeal. Big hug from me, be glad it is over and looking forward to our next face to face.

Hugs back at you Ray! There is even more to it and I could easily write a novel.

I am reminded of my father; he didn't want me to ride because he would warn me that there were people out there exactly like the one you encountered. This was his concern more so than "accidents", the cases where it wasn't an accident.

Thank you James.

Before this happened I knew there were whackos out there, but I never connected the dots, really. I thought you had to provoke people. You do not. They don't have to be drunk or on drugs, although, in this case, we'll never know since the trooper failed to check that out.

The creep didn't know who he was messin' with : )

Thanks Bill. I will someday hug and hold Jim and his wife Paula. They have since moved from Chicago to Florida. He is a stand up guy, to say the least. He's the one that the Perp hadn't counted on. Even when I talk to him now he's as mad as he was the day it happened. When I was at my lowest this guy was a knight in shining armor. He was my champion. His anger at the situation allowed me to relax and work on getting better. I knew JIm was out there slaying the dragon. He's a hero.

And something that draws us all together is we are all like Jim. Each of us are the people who would get involved and help. This is why you are my Peeps :)

Thanks for sharing your engaging story and sorry the outcome couldn't be worse for that SOB that knocked you off a perfectly good motorcycle.

Thank you George. Thank you all for reading my cathartic writing. And yes, it was a PERFECTLY GOOD motorcycle, indeed! I went through a mourning period where I had trouble letting the bike go. It sat in EBs garage from June until the following Spring 2012, when I finally got my head together to deal with it. I hated putting my bike to sleep, putting it down, allowing it to be declared dead. What a waste indeed.

This coward probably would not have attacked you if you were riding in a group.

Good on you for having such a clear account of it all after such a crash.

Thank you. Almost all my cross country trekking has been solo. I've always liked traveling alone with my two wheels. Again, I'm shaking my head thinking about how in spite of riding alone, I was not alone. And the fact that he thought he could take me out like that in public...arrogance is not a strong enough word.

I was told to write everything down. From the day I got home in June 2011 I took daily notes. At first I couldn't write much, but I kept working at it until I'd reconstructed the event. Then I kept note on what I dealt with each day as result of my injuries. In the event this went to trial I had to be ready. I haven't looked at all those notes in a long time, but when I do I am right back in the moment.

Don't know you Kathy ....

Thank you. You and so many others - those folks in my pack that day - don't know me and yet you all have compassion that causes you to act. This trait is what makes this a civilized world. It's what makes it a safe and wonderful place to be.

You too Eileen :)

Wow.... Has it been 1.5 yrs?

Tis a story of the good, the bad, & the ugly in society.

Sorry for the light sentence.

Hopefully karma will catch up to him. Maybe even run him over.

Sounds like the ST did you no favors.

Keep up the recovery process.

Wow. I really hope life teaches this @#$@ a lesson. And I am so thankful that Jim and Paula and the other witnesses were there to help you!

Consider yourself hugged!

Good luck with your continued physical and mental healing!

Joe Frickin' Friday
I will someday hug and hold Jim and his wife Paula. They have since moved from Chicago to Florida. He is a stand up guy, to say the least. He's the one that the Perp hadn't counted on. Even when I talk to him now he's as mad as he was the day it happened. When I was at my lowest this guy was a knight in shining armor. He was my champion. His anger at the situation allowed me to relax and work on getting better. I knew JIm was out there slaying the dragon. He's a hero.

When you're ready for a moto trip, Florida sounds like a fine destination. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear there is some closure, even if it's not the perfect outcome. 60 days in jail isn't much for what he did, but at the very least it lets him know that he can't do this kind of thing totally unchallenged.

Mitch,

It is a step.

A small one, but progress.

Florida leads the nation in 2 wheel/pedestrian deaths.

It is not uncommon for there to be no jail time at all.

You want to kill someone and getr away with it?

Use a vehicle.

Sad but true as there are many, many, many, many examples

of virtually no consequences.

Kathy,

Shopping is good for the soul.

:thumbsup:

Room available when you head south as Beth and I will be glad to see you.

Kathy:

I am so sorry that you went through that horrific event. Thankfully you haqve lived to write about it. Human nature can never be fully explained. He did what he did, whether he is evil or he just had a momentary act of absolute stupidity, only he can determine. He will have the rest of his life to sort that out, hopefully it was a momentary act of stupid.

You on the other hand have your entire life to also deal with this event. It can either define you or you can let it go, the vindication is that you are alive, albeit in pain and changed somewhat mentally, but nonetheless, alive. You have family ,a dog and friends who love you and care about you, and who have clearly demonstated that, you live in a great place and appear to have made a strong recovery. Cherish your life, and thank you for surviving. The world would not be the same place without you.

Wow.... Has it been 1.5 yrs?.......

Thank you Eric.

For me, I felt like it had me under it's thumb for 11 months. Once the chronic pain quit I really got back to being me.

I haven't even covered the half of it! This trooper has a reputation with his peers and it's not good. I hope he's weeded out, for the sake of other's like me who expect a professional LEO on the scene. He's the exception and I'm so grateful that everything worked out in spite of him.

Consider yourself hugged!

Thank you Bill. Your good advice helped me a lot.

When you're ready for a moto trip, Florida sounds like a fine destination. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear there is some closure, even if it's not the perfect outcome. 60 days in jail isn't much for what he did, but at the very least it lets him know that he can't do this kind of thing totally unchallenged.

Thanks Mitch. That will be so cool!

Yes, just to finally put the brakes (what a horrid pun) on this guy is worthwhile. But what I expect is that this will serve to show who he is the next time he does something to hurt someone else. His reaction at the scene spoke volumes.

Shopping is good for the soul. Room available when you head south as Beth and I will be glad to see you.

Thanks Tim. I will be there one of these days. I've already looked at how cool Cedar Key is as part of my loop through FL.

Something is really wrong with the way we don't hold folks accountable for the damage they do with vehicles. If I hit you with a 22cal or a 2000lb car, what's the difference?

Cherish your life, and thank you for surviving.

Thank you Pat. The world needs a Paper Butt, no doubt. ;)

I am a clinical person, able to handle emergencies in a matter-of-fact way. I suppose I was knocked out and that's why I don't remember flying through the air or hitting the bike/car/road, but I could handle it if I knew every second of that event. (I get bolder as time passes)

Jim said that he's not sure if I was knocked out because when he got to me and flipped up my visor I was talking away, muttering nonsense. Maybe my brain went into a protected place and it's still protecting me from the memory. Maybe it's time to get hypnotized and turn on a recorder.

When I came to awareness I kept my eyes shut. I don't know why, but suspect I was overwhelmed with sensory input. My memory is of a view of the sky in shades of gray, but my eyes were closed, I think? I didn't have Technocolor until the morphine gave me relief and I opened my eyes in the emergency room. That is the fist time I saw the trooper.

He got in my face and said, "This is obviously a case of road rage!"

I said nothing to him, but I was having a hell of a conversation in my head. I was aware of the feeling that "this man does not like me".

(Road rage? What? Wait, don't you need two parties for that? How could it be road rage. I wasn't mad. Why was that guy mad at me? Are you saying he was mad at me? Why???)

The morphine kept my mouth shut, but my mind was quite active. I was feeling a bit of happiness - likely the effects of that drug - but oh what a JOY to not feel pain. Great stuff!

A name and address for the guy might be helpful.

:grin:

We all know I would never reveal that. I love you all too much to put any of you in harms way. I talked a few folks out of the idea of paying him a visit long ago. While a part of me wanted him to hurt I couldn't have my friends in that vile a situation. I'm hoping he is attractive in jail.

I have heard many folks tell me that karma will get him. If that is true then was karma getting me? As a result I no longer subscribe to the karma thing. Shit happens. 96% of us are human and we have to put the other 4% in jail.

I haven't even covered the half of it! This trooper has a reputation with his peers and it's not good. I hope he's weeded out, for the sake of other's like me who expect a professional LEO on the scene. He's the exception and I'm so grateful that everything worked out in spite of him.

Tis a story of the good, the bad, & the ugly in society.

The Trooper was "the bad" in my statement.

If I hit you with a 22cal or a 2000lb car, what's the difference?

Kathy,

The anti gun lobbies will demonstrate the difference for you; but that's political and I don't want to go there.

I am so glad you're doing better. During our PM's on losing pets and this particular incident, I felt I was communicating with someone that if I met on a ride, or in a coffee shop or at a gas station, I would like and be glad I got to know them.

I’m very glad you are feeling better. Continued good health to you! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

David

...During our PM's on losing pets and this particular incident, I felt I was communicating with someone that if I met on a ride, or in a coffee shop or at a gas station, I would like and be glad I got to know them. ...

I'm pretty sure everybody who has ever met Kathy has felt that way. I certainly do!

My guess, Kathy, would be that the asshat was irrationally incensed because you slowed for the construction zone (like the sign told you to) and then stayed in the left lane (like the sign told you to) for a while due to the edge trap. Maybe, just maybe, he'll learn to have some patience while he's got 60 days with nothing much to do.

...Maybe, just maybe, he'll learn to have some patience while he's got 60 days with nothing much to do.

Nothing much to do? In prison? In the land of slamming doors? You might be surprised how busy he can keep himself trying to avoid lifers and prison gangs. Trying to avoid getting slipped a little satisfaction. Going to sleep every night with a pillow stuffed between his legs praying he doesn't bleed to death before morning.

Unless he is a very big guy who actually knows how to fight, sixty days can be very long and busy as he vainly tries to defend himself, esp if he starts his sentence with a big mouth and a bad attitude that he can't back up. They will waste no time testing him. Sounds like he has the attitude part down already.

I'm very sorry for what you've gone through, Kathy and what you will continue to deal with. Try not to dwell too much on a search for meaning or answers. Some people are just selfish, worthless pieces of sh_t who need to be removed from the gene pool. Unfortunately, this one has already reproduced. Hopefully, the 'worthless" gene is recessive and his kids take after the mother's side (or mothers' sides.) Hopefully, the likelihood of him becoming the new prison b_tch grants you some satisfaction.

It may seem inequitable, but the level of criminality and punishment meted out often is directly tied to the harm caused. This is often the case with crimes involving physical injury, property damage and larcenies. Your gear may have precluded the possibility of a manslaughter charge. But the priority is your survival and health. Plea bargains are a fact of life... sometimes used to ensure a (albeit lesser) punishment instead of gambling with a jury trial that could lead to an acquital. Unfortunately, some prosecutors overuse the plea bargain to maintain a high conviction rate in order to pad their resume. But that's another thread. sounds like the plea should have been higher than 60 days on reckless.

Best wishes for a full recovery. Hope that both your body and mind can enjoy riding again this season.

"It may seem inequitable, but the level of criminality and punishment meted out often is directly tied to the harm caused."

Rex, not looking to hijack this but I find that is not the case when it comes to motorcycles/bicycles/pedestrians.

I know first hand of way too many deaths and serious injuries

to riders and pedestrians where little or no punishment followed.

This is true of multiple deaths I know of.

We should not be a victim of discrimination simply becasue we planned better for the collision or just were fortunate.

A rider was killed last weekend going to a dinner.

Driver turned left through a group of 8 mc's.

Slap on the wrist will most likely be the result.

We have more bicyclists killed than California with 1/2 their population.

2475517354.021.png

the trend is true for pedestrians too.

We usually have about 120 motorcycle deaths and bicycle deaths for a total around 240 each year.

We have around 500 pedestrian deaths.

The mc deaths have a number of single vehicle accidents involved.

not generally the case with pedestrian and bicyclists.

I guarantee that if you investigate these deaths, about one every

12 hours, you will not find much in the way of punishment for the driver that killed these people.

I know hundreds of people aren't going to prison every year for

a long time and in many cases no punishment at all.

A noted bicycle safety advocate was killed on a huge group ride

in central Florida by a totally negligent driver.

SA did not even file charges.

Down here you literally rtake your life in your hands walking or riding a bicycle.

Kathy, not looking to derail this thread so folks don't lose sight of the OP.

Wanting the perp to feel remorse/suffer/ etc is a normal response.

But my experience as someone who has been hit in a car 2x, a mc hit and run, a bicycle hit and run, and a pedestrian hit and run,

what matters is how you, the person who got clobbered feels.

Do you feel that you have control, do you have anxiety, do you have PTSD, do you have unresolved anger, do you cayrry permanent scars, pain, disfigurement, suffering, disability?

No one can rob you of your right to participate in life unless you let them.

She rides the eye of a hurricane

Think Rex R has an insightful post. The guy's obvious attitude will likely mean he will be tested. If he does ok locked up he will go back eventually.

Kathy, I'm glad this has gotten to a point where you can share all the details among your friends here at BMWST. What you went through was horrific and, even if the sentence seems light, the SOB ultimately had to admit his culpability and pay a price. Given what we know of him it's likely that his soul is fundamentally unchanged, but the experience may prove to at least motivate him to think twice before committing a crime like this again.

My experience, gained over a few years working in the criminal justice system, is that this, the resolution of the legal case, is a positive turning point in your life. Your perspective on life may be somewhat altered by your experience, but you've emerged with your heart and soul intact. For that, we are all thankful.

God bless all those who stopped to help at the scene of the crime . . . it seems to me that you had a bunch of angels in your corner that day.

The Trooper was "the bad" in my statement.

Yep, that's what I thought you were saying, Eric.

.... I would like and be glad I got to know them.

This motorcycle board has altered many lives for the better. It's track record for bringing Peeps together is heartwarming, as are you words. Thank you David.

Hugs!!!!

Our mantra! Thank you Michael.

My guess, Kathy, would be that the asshat was irrationally incensed because you slowed for the construction zone (like the sign told you to) and then stayed in the left lane (like the sign told you to) for a while due to the edge trap. Maybe, just maybe, he'll learn to have some patience while he's got 60 days with nothing much to do.

Exactly. Yeah, early on I figured that could be it, but it was just too far out there to believe a sane person thinks like that!?! My attorney told me to only think about what I know, and to not *suppose* too much, or I'd use valuable energy in a fruitless pursuit. I would always end up shaking my head in wonderment, until I read that book, and then I was able to loosen my grip on my need to understand him. He just became the perp, the asshat.

You guys make me blush. Thank you Bill. Since I've gotten on people's nerves in my lifetime all I can suggest is my friends spend more time with me. Two ex-husbands can't be all wrong :grin:

Unless he is a very big guy who actually knows how to fight, sixty days can be very long and busy as he vainly tries to defend himself,...

I am told that he's well into 6 feet in height and extremely skinny.

It may seem inequitable, but the level of criminality and punishment meted out often is directly tied to the harm caused.

Yep, that is how it was explained to me by the Victims's Advocate.

Plea bargains are a fact of life... sometimes used to ensure a (albeit lesser) punishment instead of gambling with a jury trial that could lead to an acquital.

In this case I think the state of Illinois wanted to avoid the expense. While I may have only had one witness, beside myself, Jim was an exceptional witness.

I would have had many witnesses, but the Trooper refused the contact information offered by my Pod of Drivers. "I only need one witness" is how he said it, as he dismissed them with a waive of the hand. With all those folks telling him what happened he chose to write the perp up for two moving violations. Lazy, he was just lazy.

Thanks for your kind words, Rex. It's near Winter here, so no more riding this year. My borrowed bike sits in the garage, winterized. After a few months of snow shoes we'll see what Spring brings.

We should not be a victim of discrimination simply becasue we planned better for the collision or just were fortunate.

Exactly, Tim. And that is what I explained to the Prosecutor, to no avail.

Wanting the perp to feel remorse/suffer/ etc is a normal response.

Once I heard that he'd lied to the trooper and then I heard of his reaction at the scene I knew to give up on ever hearing his side of it. There were times I fantasized that he'd crack in court and tell it all, but I really wasn't counting on it. I came to realize that just knowing he lost control of the outcome and he was subject to the whims of others seemed to be what might make him most miserable. I can't help but think that the person who suffered at his hands under domestic abuse may be happy he's in jail, finally.

I'm a glass is half full person. I've had little to no badness in my life or else I just don't remember anything but the good? The way I'm wired makes life easier.

I complained to the VA that he should be in jail for at least as long as I was in pain. And then 6 months for each stitch, each pin and a month in solitary for the damn plate, the permanent bend in my pinky and ring fingers.... eh, it does feel good knowing he lost. Sometimes things do work out.

Think Rex R has an insightful post. The guy's obvious attitude will likely mean he will be tested. If he does ok locked up he will go back eventually.

Yes, the next time he does something violent he'll be building on his record. No more claiming to be a "nice guy". At least he has that going forward to give him pause.

it seems to me that you had a bunch of angels in your corner that day.

Wonderful words, always Mike. I'll never forget the comfort I gained from seeing you, The Knapp's, Dennis, EB and Rich in that chair by the side of my bed in the hospital.

We all do what we can, when we can. It's an honor to be there for someone in need. Let me tell you, what you give of yourself when you help another is never, ever, forgotten. It continues to lift a soul forever.

...Since I've gotten on people's nerves in my lifetime all I can suggest is my friends spend more time with me....

That's something I'll be happy to do every chance I get!

More hugs from Bob and Suz... you know how much we care.

Thanks for posting this.

Look at the outpouring of love and support... which is natural for you.

Bob and Suz

Wow, Kathy.... unbelievable.... I am so furious !

When I hear stories like this, I just wish I could have 24 hours, without retributions from lawyers and LEO, to mete some good old fashioned justice.

Dickheads like your perp know how the system works and how to game it but one thing they can't game is an open can of whoop ass.

Wish I were there. I'd like to think the multiple witness would not be able to recall how he received his injuries. :mad:

Ugh. That's just awful. It's so sad that there are so many jerks in the world. :(

I'm glad your ordeal is over though and hope you continue to heal over time. :)

Wow, what an amazing story. I am so glad you are OK and that you shared it with us. I just wish our system would take this kind of behavior more seriously rather than letting scum like this off with a slap on the wrist. Hope to see you riding agin next spring!

Eric

There is a way.

Contact elected officials w/specifics.

Write local newspaper and contact local media.

People, that's us, need to take a stand on driving

while intoxicated/under the influence and aggressive/irresponsible dirvers who inlict pain/suffering/permanent injury/death.

For some reason our Society seems to have different standards if the Great American Vehicle is involved.

Merry Christmas.

Hey Kathy,

What a journey you have had - it still remember hearing about you right after we had such a great time in Torrey. You've come a long way. As I've always said - I strongly believe in karma and it comes in two forms; good and bad. Let's hope that in this case the karma is distributed as it should be (and for a long time if you know what I mean). :wave:

Archived