Sign in to follow this  
Firefight911

New Michelin Anakee 3D

Firefight911

Nothing out there yet but it's coming soon!

Michelin_Anakee_3_stpz.jpg

and

147.jpg

Anybody have any info on it? I've had some exceptional experience with both the 1 and 2 Anakee. I am running a set now, in fact.

I know that Michelin reps will be at Cycle Specialties in Modesto, CA this weekend at their Open House on Saturday. They have the tire for viewing and are offering no sales tax and free install if you pre-order that day.

roadscholar

Anybody have any info on it? I've had some exceptional experience with both the 1 and 2 Anakee. I am running a set now, in fact.

No, but they look super, I'll be interested in a report. I had some original Anakees on an 1100 and they were great on the street, didn't seem so much in dirt though, and consequently have pretty much gone with Tourances ever since, never tried the 2's. I could be swayed though.

2SlowDave

After many thousands of miles, I've given up on dual sport tires for the big GS. Dual sport tires are dual compromise tires.

If one does a fair amount of riding in the dirt, by all means put knobbies on. You do not want to go into the dirt on a big GS with dual sport tires when everyone else is on knobbies and smaller bikes.

If one only rides the occassional fire road, I'd put street tires on. I tried Continental Road Attacks. They are so much better for the street than a dual sport tire, it is amazing. If I wish to ride far in the dirt, I let some air out of the street tires and ride slow. I carry a pump to re-inflate once I'm back on the street.

In this group chances are most everyone else will be on an RT or a GT with street tires so even with street tires on your GS, you will be the boss of the dirt. :D

TEWKS

I'm a big fan of Michelin road tires so I was gonna look at the Anakees for the GS. Then I see these over at ADV. More research I guess.

Karoo3-586x451.jpg

Pat

Guest Kakugo

Apparently the main driver behind this tyre is the new R1200GS: these will be OE equipment.

Curiously enough here we usually get Michelin products as soon as they roll out of the factory but they aren't even available for pre-order yet.

Chris K

They look very similar to the Metzler Tourance Next tire that is coming out early next year.

product_tourancenext_6_460x500_jpeg.jpg

Lineareagle

At some point you wonder if tread design is the result of research or the result of a graphic artist.

I can certainly see the potential advantage of the 3D tread design which, I would think, would relieve some of the scalloping that occurs on the edges of tread blocks and which in my experience results in me tossing a set of skins long before they are worn out just because I get tired of the vibration.

My Tourances are at that stage now and it pains me to spring for a new set of skins so early in their life.

RevRay
At some point you wonder if tread design is the result of research or the result of a graphic artist./quote]

+1

When will they design a tire that has good grip, long life and emanates a sound that drives the hoofed rats back away from the road. (Yeah I had a close call last week; love my abs)

Kyle B

Watch "The GS Giant" web site for an upcoming test of dual sport tires including the new Michelin's. This test will also be featured in an upcoming issue of the BMW MOA magazine.

I've got a set of Conti Trail Attack tires heading my way to test.

Edited by Kyle B

CurtRTGS

This year is shapping up to be an interesting one regarding new dual sport tire options.

I like the look and description of both the Karoo 3 and the Anakee 3D and am getting more lost in the my decision as to what to try after the Tourances.

I did read an announcement about the Tourance Next and it was referred to as a sport-touring tire (rather than dual sport). Makes me wonder about its intended use?

kmac

Shame on anyone calling those new Tourances a "Dual Sport" tire.

That thing is NO more dirt oriented than my PR3s....

The Michelin 3Ds look interesting if you are very pavement biased but do occasionally hit some dirt roads.

The Karroo 3 look a bit more dirt, but most of the Karoos I have priced run too rich for my blood.

After I build my RT into a GSish bike I will be trying the Kenda Big Blocks on the rear, I already orfered one, but I am not positive on the front because I am running a 21" front....T63? TKC80? Kenda? Hmmm

OlGeezer

After I build my RT into a GSish bike I will be trying the Kenda Big Blocks on the rear, I already orfered one, but I am not positive on the front because I am running a 21" front....T63? TKC80? Kenda? Hmmm

It's a quandry I'm going to have on my GSA when my Tourances need replacing. I had TKC80s on my KLR and LOVED them. They were amazingly great on the road. I was stable up to 85 mph (as stable as a KLR can get, anyway) and still performed great (greater than me) in the dirt. True, I didn't like the life. I only had 2,500 miles on the rear when I sold the KLR. It had less than 1,000 miles left.

OoPEZoO

It's a quandry I'm going to have on my GSA when my Tourances need replacing. I had TKC80s on my KLR and LOVED them. They were amazingly great on the road. I was stable up to 85 mph (as stable as a KLR can get, anyway) and still performed great (greater than me) in the dirt. True, I didn't like the life. I only had 2,500 miles on the rear when I sold the KLR. It had less than 1,000 miles left.

The best dual threat option I have found so far on the big GS has been a TKC80 front matched up with a Heidenau K60 on the rear. I rode from PA out to CO on them with mostly US highway travel. Then hit almost a dozen mountain passes over the course of a few days....lots of dirt, some of them in the rain. Above 85mph, the front end got a little squirrely due to the TKC80, but the added off pavement traction was well worth it. The TKC80 was half worn when I left for the trip, so I ended up swapping it for an Anakee on the return trip. The K60 rear is still hanging in there and looking good. The bike handled really well with that K60/TKC80 combo, especially off the pavement. Its kind of a pricey option, but I don't have a bad thing to say about it.

UNXI_2012526.jpg

terryofperry

According to their websites the Anakee 3's are in stock at Revzilla and Motorcycle Superstore.

Terry

OlGeezer
Its kind of a pricey option, but I don't have a bad thing to say about it.

This sounds like the combo I've been looking for. I've been oogling both for a while (5,500 miles on my Tourances). Don't worry about being the pricey option. The reason I got rid of my KLR is that it wasn't consuming all of my disposable income (and more!). I had to fix that!

:grin:

OoPEZoO
The reason I got rid of my KLR is that it wasn't consuming all of my disposable income (and more!). I had to fix that!

:rofl: sounds about right

CVA-42

The latest MOA Owner's News contains a comparison review of the Heidenau K60 and Conti TKC 80. They were VERY complimentary of the K60's longevity and off-road peformance but not so much regarding it's on-road behavior. They said things like "The K60's harder rubber compound held well until pushed, but they gave little warning before letting go." "Due caution is in order with the Scouts..." They did acknowledge the harder rubber compound of the K60 and the fact that it is an "honest 50/50 tire" so compromises have to be made. Can anyone offer some real-world experience regarding K60 behavior on-road when run both front and rear? How hard CAN they be pushed?

OoPEZoO

I chose not to run the K60 front because I had read a few questionable reviews on them when cornering at high speeds. The TKC80 front has a good track record in that regard, and excels off road, so thats what I ended up with.

As far as the K60 rear......does it stick as well as a Tourance? Definitely not, but I would say it is on par with a TKC80. The big difference is that you will get 2x + the life from the K60. A TKC80 rear never would have survived my trip to the UN last year due to the extended high speed highway travel out and back. The K60 still sticks well enough to get you arrested in the rain if you feel the need. I wouldn't say you need to ride with "Due caution", you just need to be aware that you shouldn't be trying to drag your peg feelers on the pavement with them.......which a rider shouldn't be doing anyway unless they have terrible riding form.

I felt that the performance limiting factor of my setup was certainly the TKC80 front, not the K60 rear. That was evident to me on my return trip with the K60 on the rear and a slightly used front Anakee I bummed from Killer and Whip's collection. With a sticky front tire, I didn't even know the K60 was back there. I am still riding with that setup and I ride just as hard as I would with any other tire setup. Lack of skill is holding me back more than the tires under me.

OlGeezer
you just need to be aware that you shouldn't be trying to drag your peg feelers on the pavement with them.......which a rider shouldn't be doing anyway unless they have terrible riding form.

Especially on a GSA! =8^O

I felt that the performance limiting factor of my setup was certainly the TKC80 front, not the K60 rear. That was evident to me on my return trip with the K60 on the rear and a slightly used front Anakee I bummed from Killer and Whip's collection. With a sticky front tire, I didn't even know the K60 was back there. I am still riding with that setup and I ride just as hard as I would with any other tire setup. Lack of skill is holding me back more than the tires under me.

Do you think the Anakee front is a better choice than the TKC80?

OoPEZoO
Do you think the Anakee front is a better choice than the TKC80?

Yes and No. It really depends on conditions.

The Anakee and/or the Tourance are better tires on the pavement.

The TKC80 is better once you get off the pavement.

The TKC80 gets a little squirmy above 80mph, doesn't like painted lines, and makes the front end a little flightly when riding hard in the corners. The Anakee makes all of that go away, but falls short offroad........VERY short if mud is involved. The TKC80 makes the GS handle so well offroad that it almost makes you forget how heavy it would be to pick up if you did something dumb.

If I was going to be strictly commuting or heading out on a trip where I knew I was going to only ride pavement, then I would go with an Anakee or Tourance.

If I was heading out the door and had no clue what I was getting into, then I would want the TKC80.

The TKC80 will do anything you need it to on the pavement, its just that it does it with a little wiggle and personality. It was a little unnerving at first, but once I got used to it, everything settled down and I really like them.

I will also tell you that riders who death grip the bars and/or don't let the bike float under them will most likely hate them. They give you a lot of feedback through the bars. Its great if you keep your weight on the pegs, pinch your knees to the tank, and ride with a feather light touch on the bars. I feel like they promote a very loose, relaxed, yet controlled riding style and reward it. I might not run a TKC80 in the front all the time, but I will always have one sitting in the garage for when I plan to go exploring.

OlGeezer

Thanks, Keith.

I was TOTALLY fine with the feel of the TKC80s on my KLR and I DO want more capability than Tourances. Although I'm not sure I will ever see it, I want to be ready if I do. I don't want the tires to be the reason I can't go somewhere my gonads are willing to take me. Hey, that sounds like a new tag line!