IGNORED

Rev it up

GabeM

Happy New Year

Had a chance to take my 1100 out for a run down the Sun Coast Parkway the other day.

I noticed that the bikes vibration smoothed out at about 4500 rpm the speedometer reads about 90 mph, but I believe it is a little generous.

I have a few questions for the forum.

At what rpm’s do others like to run their bikes when cruising down the highway? (five speeds)

Is 4500 plus rpm’s excessive for extended periods of time.

Thanks

On my trip from CA to RI I generally stayed in 4th gear at 70mph and below, which probably runs in the 4500 RPM range. Above 75mph I generally stayed in 5th gear but fortunately for me those slab periods were not very frequent. grin.gif Keep in mind I was at the max gross weight for the bike, but it just ran smoother in higher RPMs. I think these bikes prefer it, IMHO. I generally run 3500 to 4500 in street traffic, just to stay responsive and I never let it bog under 3000 except starting in first.

Russell

I was not aware that there is a rpm Governor

Sounds like you aren't revving it high enough. smile.gif I hit that rev limiter all the time.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I cruise at a max of about 85 MPH (indicated), so the engine is doing probably 5K RPM. In most places I don't care to go faster, but that's mostly out of a fear of tickets; in more remote places, I've held it WOT for extended periods, which gets it pretty close to redline. And in the twisties, of course, I'll rarely drop below 4K - though I try not to hit the rev limiter, because it upsets the chassis pretty badly, much like snapping the throttle shut. 108K miles, engine is still healthy. Go ahead and whale on it.

RPM of peak vibe will vary somewhat with state of tune.

I try not to hit the rev limiter, because it upsets the chassis pretty badly
Ain't it the truth! The first time I got into the limiter I though the whole darn thing was falling out from under us!

You can run it up to red line till the cows come home. Rev limiter is your friend only thing is gas mileage and oil consumtion go South but not a real hinderance to longevety.Just remember it's a two cylander radial engine not a Vtwin. The (new Hex's are more efficiant at the edge with MPG and Oil) but I think thats because of system mgmnt.(computer systems)

ShovelStrokeEd

Other than air shows these days they just aren't around enough any more. The turbine has pretty much take over their last bastion, crop dusting. Thank God for Top Fuel HD's.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Just yankin' your chain a bit. 180 degrees is still radial.

At the risk of continuing a hijack:

actually, in terms of kinematics, the BMW flat twin has more in common with an inline automotive engine than it does with a radial aircraft engine. The oilhead has one crankpin per cylinder, with both pistons hitting TDC at the same time; the cylinders are offset axially from each other. A radial has ONE crankpin occupied by the master conrod, with all the other rods attached to the big end of that master rod, like so:

Radial_engine.gif

All cylinders occupy the same plane of rotation.

Neither (inline or radial) has any particular advantage in terms of rev capabilities.

[

Radial_engine.gif

Is it just me or is there something oddly comforting in the radial motion of this engine? I find it rather soothing. Think I'll make it a screen saver. crazy.gif

Nope, it's not just you.

I already tried if it works as a desktop background grin.gif

But that IS very nice gif animation. If I didn't already have an avatar that so accurately illustrates my typical mental situation I would no doubt start to use this gif from Mitch.

--

Mikko

It can't be a radial engine, as all aircraft radials have an odd number of cylinders per row thumbsup.gif Otherwise it'd be called a radial, not a boxer grin.gif

Yeah, and what Mitch said tongue.gif

Lone_RT_rider
I cruise at a max of about 85 MPH (indicated)...

FIBBER!!!

I seem to remember a stretch of I-70 around the Colorado/Utah state line. grin.gif

Shawn

Joe Frickin' Friday
I cruise at a max of about 85 MPH (indicated)...

FIBBER!!!

I seem to remember a stretch of I-70 around the Colorado/Utah state line. grin.gif

Shawn

OK, so now and then I turn it up (IIRC the speed limit was 75 there)... crazy.gif

Archived