IGNORED

Missing glove box screw

David Sharpe

I am putting together my 1150RT after completing its 12k mile checkup and I am missing one of the screws that secures the glove box to the gas tank. What type of screw is it?

Using one of the screws that is left I need one that is:

- 25mm in length

- 4mm Allen wrench pattern

- bolt head is about 9mm

It looks like the one in the attached picture except the threads go all the way up to the head.

I also don't understand the way metric screws are identified. What does the following mean?

M2 x.4 x4mm Soc Hd Cap Screw

Thanks

620025-socketscrew.jpg.794bc0eced4b58203d825c5114a939b4.jpg

Using one of the screws that is left I need one that is:

- 25mm in length

- 4mm Allen wrench pattern

- bolt head is about 9mm

It looks like the one in the attached picture except the threads go all the way up to the head.

I also don't understand the way metric screws are identified. What does the following mean?

Thanks

Most likely to be a 5 or 6 mm socket head screw. The M2 means 2mm diameter bolt at the outside of the threads, .4 means .4 threads per milimeter (usually it will be more like 1.5 or 1.75). The last number is the length of the bolt measured from under the head to the tip of the threads.

Thanks

I'd like to state things a little more clearly in response, if I may.

Thread diameter is 4mm

Thread pitch is .4mm - this is the distance from crest to crest, for instance, or I could say for each revolution of the screw it will go into the hole .4mm.

The last dimension is the effective length (under the head to the end of the screw or bolt)- 4mm.

This is how standard screws are dimensioned for length - a flat head would be an overall length.

The diameter of the head is usually not called out - it could be called out as a socket head, or button head, which would define the shape of the head, and the appropriate allen (or key) size.

Just for fun - some standard diameter/pitch combinations are:

4x.7

5x.8

6x1

8x1.25

10x1.5 (some mirrors are 10x1.25 pitch)

This info might help sometime when you're shopping for replacements - sometimes people think when they're shopping they buy by the wrench size - then it doesn't fit when they get home.... smile.gif

All the best,

Mike

Archived