IGNORED

HIGH MILAGE HEXHEADS ?

boxxer

CoarsegoldKid

92,000 miles. I do all the services per recommendations. Early on while on a vacation a dealer in Seattle replaced a final drive outboard seal. I had to wait about one hour. All good. My R1200RT performs as it did when new. I couldn't be happier. Are there things I wished BMW had done differently. Yes. Most if not all of them have been complained about numerous times from numerous posters.

Anyone have a high milage bike that has been trouble free?

89K miles on an '05 and it was pretty much a shop queen. RD seal, broken driveshaft, rear tranny seal, all tranny bearings, chain tensioner, blown shock, 4 or 5 front brake rotors, and other stuff I've forgotten.

45K miles on a '10 with zero probs.

Bill

68K miles on my 2005 R1200RT. Second owner; picked it up in 2008 at 42K miles. Was dealer serviced to 42K, and serviced by me since.

Total repairs. One Alternator (picked up an OEM new one from a local shop at about a third of BMW's price) at about 62k, brake pads, and that's about it. Needs shocks (what else is new: OEM's were pretty good at 42K but have become useless at 68K). Just changed fluids and transmission and final drive were absolutely clear (no metal shavings at all, in the fluid or on magnetic plugs).

I really can't complain. I fully expect $2000k in repairs before it hits 100K miles, maybe the final drive - who knows.

My R1100RT-P lost the transmission less than 10k miles after I purchased it, and I went through every mechanical part, rubber part, and such as I tore it down, added new shocks, new rubber seals everywhere, rewired HES - it took a year but ran and rode like new. Then I sold it 6k miles later when I found the current bike for $4K under market. :dopeslap:

Anyhow, I looked seriously at an upgrade this year, but decided to keep this one for another 40K miles.

I only put 6K miles on the bike in 2 years; I need to ride a lot more! :grin: I think I truly spend more time working on the bike than riding it .. lol. It's been about 2 years since I bled the brakes, so I guess that's next at the 72K service. I can't wait to get started!

Not as high mileage as the other bikes but here's my experience...

Over 62000km. New shocks at 40000km, new battery after two years, new FD bearing at 61000. At the same mileage the center stand bolts were re-greased and torqued back as per specs, more for peace of mind than anything else. That's about it.

The only thing I will complain about, reliability-wise, is the bike burned an awful lot of headlight bulbs, though the pace seems to have slowed down this year.

Recently sold '05 R1200GS with over 180K miles. Only stopping failure a worn clutch/input shaft at 70K miles. As I suspected a possibly misaligned gear box, I repaired it installing a used box from beemerboneyard.com. That box developed nasty bearing noises 100K miles later, at 170K. Repaired with a low mileage $700 ebay box.

I kept a close look at what pops up on ebay for my bike. So at 100K miles I replaced the rear drive ($200), at 120K the throttle cables ($60), at 130K the drive shaft ($50, crazy, nobody bid on it), at some point a clutch slave ($40). All the original parts were removed functioning perfectly. There was never any work done on the motor or major electric components.

As a farewell to the bike this past September I did a three week/8.500 mile ride (MD-CA-MD) and did not have to touch anything on the bike. It used 2 quarts of oil on the trip.

We will be able to know how the bike keeps going, as I sold it to good friend bmwst inmate Luckyleif.

168K miles on my 2006 RT. Has been wonderfully reliable with normal maintenance.

Only issues:

- headlamp bulb failures. 3.5k - 40k mi life

- Rt-side swing arm pivot bolts loose (1 missing)- at 86k mi

- Rt-side heated grip wire failure - at 140k mi

- fuel pump controller failure - at 146k mi

Engine burns about 1qt /5k mi

Loud, ugly-sounding gear noises (especialy cold) from rear end and/or trans, especially cold. Drained oil looks clean, though.

I'm very happy with this bike.

Over 72K miles on my '06 RT.

Headlight bulbs (low beams) replaced at 30K miles and at 60K miles

Shocks replaced at 30K with Ohlins and at 60K with Wilburs.

Battery replaced at 50K.

Fork seals replaced at 60K and again at 70K

Otherwise completely problem free. Great bike!

Mileage above 50MPG up to 75MPH. To/From the Blue Ridge Unrally, I did not have a single tank of gas below 50 MPG average!

Burns minimal oil. I never have to add oil between changes.

My 07 RT had 140k miles on it when I traded it in on a used 2011. It still had the original clutch, fuel strip and final drive. Although it was hardly trouble free with five transmission oil seal replacements, a sticking brake caliper, and a headlight housing that needed replacement during the first 48k miles, it was very reliable after that. At about 100k, the starter lock-out switch on the clutch lever needed replacement and at about 135K fuel pump housing was replaced because of hairline cracks around the output (I probably wouldn't have replaced the fuel pump housing if my extended warranty wasn't in force).

I also know of an R1200R with 165k+ miles on it. It had the original FD replaced at around 40K miles.

Not as many miles as most, 38,000 miles on my 2006RT and only replace the head light bulbs on each side. Do all my own service. 50+ mpg and couldn't be happier.

Recently sold '05 R1200GS with over 180K miles. Only stopping failure a worn clutch/input shaft at 70K miles. As I suspected a possibly misaligned gear box, I repaired it installing a used box from beemerboneyard.com. That box developed nasty bearing noises 100K miles later, at 170K. Repaired with a low mileage $700 ebay box.

I kept a close look at what pops up on ebay for my bike. So at 100K miles I replaced the rear drive ($200), at 120K the throttle cables ($60), at 130K the drive shaft ($50, crazy, nobody bid on it), at some point a clutch slave ($40). All the original parts were removed functioning perfectly. There was never any work done on the motor or major electric components.

As a farewell to the bike this past September I did a three week/8.500 mile ride (MD-CA-MD) and did not have to touch anything on the bike. It used 2 quarts of oil on the trip.

We will be able to know how the bike keeps going, as I sold it to good friend bmwst inmate Luckyleif.

Paul I was out in California about the same time from Texas. Did you go solo? In any case some real trust on a bike with that many miles. I was worried about mine with 52k on it!

Ron

I travel solo, visiting friends on the way. I knew my bike well. I didn't trust it any less than I would trust a 30K bike. My worst traveling breakdown was with a BMW with 29K miles. Cost me $1.400 in Uhaul and truck gas. You never know.

'05 1200RT, with 126,000 km, about 85,000 miles.

Wilber's at 75,000 km.

Fuel pump regulator quit at about 90,000 km.

Replaced headlights with HIDs about three years ago, no new bulbs since.

Fuel gauge hasn't worked for about three years, dealer said replacement was $500.

I do my own servicing, including brake flush, it's due again.

I worry about final drive, clutch, and splines.

78k, lots of things I've broken or screwed up, but otherwise the bike would have been just fine. A couple fuel strips, which I didn't break.

05 RT, 124,000 miles.

Front abs switch replaced under warranty.

I replaced the oil pressure switch, it was weeping a little oil.

I do all routine maintaince myself.

I replaced the front and rear rotors once.

Ohlin shocks.

Other than a lot of headlight bulbs everything is original.

It has a slight low rpm hesitation and idles a little rough now.

Other than that it is great.

2006 RT with 58,000 miles

Bulbs and the dreaded final drive failure.

Otherwise trouble free.

I do all of the maintenance at recommended intervals or sooner.

Just curious, I have an 06 with 38K miles. Had the final drive oil changed at 24K. The dealer that did it used Amsoil synthetic. That's what they do at that particular dealer.

Was your final drive oil ever changed prior to failure?

According to schedule. Used Castrol SAF XO which is now called SynTrax Limited Slip 75W-90. The final drive started clicking when the bike was rolling. I found a post on YouTube which sounded like mine. I looked into a rebuild (Antone in Charlottesville, NC - good price and fast service) but I went with a new unit. Mine does not have the drain plug, and as long as I had to have this fixed, I figured the extra dollars spent on a new unit was worth the extra cost.

Bolted right in and off I went. Works fine now.

2005 R1200ST: 105,000 miles. Replaced failed drive shaft at 75,000 miles; replaced right side rear seal about 50,000 miles; replaced headlight bulbs once or twice; replaced rear brake disc about 60,000 miles; Wilbers at 40,000 miles; couple of batteries. Replaced side case latch. I do all my own maintenance.

2006 R1200RT: 78,000 miles. Replaced fuel pump after the ring cracked about 68,000 miles. Replaced low beam bulbs. Wilbers at 68,000 miles.

Just chugging along.

Chris

• 6 years later...

Last year I acquired a 65k mile 2005 ST. At 70k miles I have only done maintenance so far. I did need a fuel pump control module to get it going when I got it. Everything seems to work well. It does burn a bit of oil, but that's it. I wish I knew someone with a lower mile ST so I can compare the ride. 

R1200RT 2007  180,000km

Replaced:

Fuel pump controller (32,000km-warranty)

Rear ESA strut (90,000km)

Fuel strip (95.000km- warranty)

1 fork seal (135,000km)

Drive shaft (139,000km)

Clutch (142,000km)

Fuel Pump (142,000km - warranty)

Front & rear disc brakes (178,000km).

I do my own maintenance

2007 r1200rt 94,000 km

Front wheel bearings 

Fuel pump quick disconnects

Gearbox output shaft seal

Final drive input seal

Rear brake disc

• 2 weeks later...

2005 RT, 143000kms

Love the bike.

Clutch at 36000

Upper (or lower) coils at 130000

Alternator at 136000

One fuel strip about 5 years ago.

Other than that, just normal overpriced maintenance because I don't have the space, tools, knowledge, experience or patience to do it myself. Plus, I'm 200kms from a dealer. My other dealer is a lot closer, but I would only need him after I screwed something up trying to do it!!

107k 2005 rt

both throttle body cams cracked. Ouch!!

lots of h7 bulbs

side case lock mechanism let loose

Usual recall repairs

She never left me stranded. I’ll miss her

burned about 1.5qts/6kmi

I have an 05 RT with 84K miles.  I bought it in 08 with 12k on the ODO.  I do my own maintenance on schedule. Other than all recalls,   I had the following issues:

1) Fuel strip replaced 4 times under warranty (the most recent replacement is not functioning.  Out of warranty. Zapping failed)

2) Front forks replaced due to an incompetent mechanic - long story - he attempted fork seal replacement and was suppose to be certified. Not a true failure.

3) Replaced starter at 79k.  Started failing when bike was warm.  Less than 100.00 .

4) Premature rear brake pad wear.  Caused rotor scoring but not serious enough to replace.

5) Tab on air filter housing broke from age

6) Springs and power plug assemblies in head lamps became brittle and broke. Now rather tricky to change but doable. 

That's about it.  It runs better than the day I brought it home.  I get over 50 mpg.  I'm very happy with the bike.

06 RT-current mileage is 132k

• -Transmission rebuild at 73k
  • -Transmission rebuild didn't take, outside of shop warranty, bought used transmission (18k on used tranny, 85k on bike, this also required a newer 30k driveshaft due to the semi-incompatible tranny)
  • -Front ESA shock started leaking juice, replaced with a used ESA shock
  • -One coil died, replaced with used coil
  • -That fuel pump thing died, I replaced it with a new one
  • -Did the rear rotor recall
  • -Too many h7 bulbs so I went with HIDs (no regrets)
  • -Side case internal mechanism broke (replaced entire case with used one from ebay)

All in all, minus fuel, but including the purchase of the bike and my riding gear, the bike has costs me $24734.37 (paid $10k for the bike in 2010).  This includes ALL maintenance that I have completed and some that shops have completed.  Now for my maintenance, it's a gut thing, not a by the book thing.  Fluids, save for brake fluids, get changed decently regularly,.....at this moment in time, I'm 2k over on my oil change,....but I'm good with that, it'll get done soon enough.

• 1 year later...

2009 1200RTP - currently 72K miles, owned since 19K - FD unit disintegrated, replaced, front brake reservoir replaced, main seal/clutch plates replaced, front rotors replaced, protection bars replaced (2 tip overs), headlight replaced (rock damage), Ohlins rebuild, all services on schedule. Overall its been an OK ride given the miles I've put on it.