IGNORED

GS and Cruise Control

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

Cruise on GSes?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

Okay, I know it going in. My new GS Adventure when I get it will spend much of its time in commuter duty. As much as I wish it weren't so it just is. Even if I want to go bomb the off-roads I have to get there. For our planned cross-country trip I know we'll be covering many highway miles.

I think BMW should accept that too and put cruise control on all their bigger bikes. It's a huge help with fatigue and helps keep occifer friendly from getting interested in what I'm doing.

How much weight and complexity can it really add? If folks agree can we talk about a petition to BMW?

Thanks,

Pat

Cruise control on a GS!!! That's blaspemy!!! Cruise control is for Gold Wings. Gold Wings are for old fat guys!

GS's are those really ugly, beaky-looking bikes that people accesorize with modified and over-priced Jerry cans and then ride intentionally in to the mud! I am so glad you didn't post the cruise control question on the ADVRIDER site - you would have been skewered and flamed!

But - if you MUST - these guys make a GS-specific mechanical control for the GS (I have one on my RT):

Kaoko Stuff For BMW GS's

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

The trouble I see with a throttle lock over real cruise is the cancel options. With a real cruise (like my Goldwing's) I can touch the clutch, either brake, or just twist the throttle backwards to cancel it. There's also a lot to be said for set, resume, bump up, bump down, etc. All in all I kinda like MattS's solution and it just goes to show that BMW doesn't have to do any real development to give it to us.

Now, if I were looking to blaspheme the Beemer I might suggest it could use more cylinders. grin.gif

Pat

I do agree with the concept that the bike already has so much technology, what is the harm in adding cruise. I added the Throttle Rocker to give some relief, but would definitely use cruise if it was there. Heck, I've gotten over the guilt of using the heated grips! thumbsup.gif

I thought the same thing about the new GS Adventure. I WOULD like to see cruise control AND heated seats as an option.

I ride mine off-road, but most of the miles are touring or enroute to the off-road. Put cruise on the Adventure and I'll be down at the dealer with my checkbook as soon as they have a few dusty ones on the floor.

BMW, are you listening? confused.gif

I had cruise on my K12RS and have it on the RT I really don't use it much. I've done some very long slab trips and even a 1530 mile day on the RS and still didn't use it. The only time I really use it is to flex my right hand or if I want to take pictures while riding (which isn't advisable but what the heck).

Hey, Dave. This is Steve from FL checking in with you. Decided not to sell your RT? Good choice I'm sure. I'm focused on an GS and should have something "done" by Wednesday next week. I'll keep you all posted and will, of course, post pics. BTW, it does have the Karoko (sp)? cruise control on it.

Happy New Year and hopefully we'll meet up sometime between "here and there". smile.gif

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

Nice. Probably a much better option than me trying to take an aftermarket one for a car and adapt it myself. Kinda steep at that price. I'll keep hoping BMW sees the light.

Thanks,

Pat

Many riders on FJR's have used an Audiovox unit. Pretty easy to set up, cost less than $150. I even saw one on a KLR.

all the best,

Mike

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

I finally got around to looking at this solution. Funny enough I have one just laying around at home -- now all I need is my bike to get built.

Fitting this onto the Adventure model should be, well, an adventure. I'll have to wait to see where space is available. Has anyone done this without the vacuum storage tank? To get enough capacity to make a difference it has to be pretty big when made with PVC. Maybe soldering up an old soup can would work.

At any rate, thanks. I'll continue to hope BMW fits their cruise at the factory.

Pat

• 4 months later...
Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

I looked into this some and didn't like it. They use the coil pulse to set speed. You've got six gears so that's six different speeds you can resume to depending on what gear you're in. I dunno, it's probably fine but I'll wait a bit.

Pat

Archived