IGNORED

Headlight bulb replacement

Kannon

Just noticed that I had a burned out low beam bulb on my 1200 RT. I remember it being a bear to change the bulbs on my 1150 RT, has anyone changed one on a 1200? Any tricks or techniques that would make things easier?

Thanks,

Bruce B.

Any tricks or techniques that would make things easier?
No tricks that I know of. I replaced all three of mine in favor of Osram Silverstars. The whole job took about 45 minutes. It's tight quarters and you are likely to curse a lot, but it's not particularly difficult.

The first time I did it it took over an hour and a LOT of cursing. Then I learnt to remove the dash first - you have to take off two bits of fairing before the dash. 15 minutes pain free.

Thanks for the info Jon and Buccaneer, I got the bulb out last night but spent about 20 min. trying to install the new one without success. Had to leave it alone to go out w/ my lovely wife. I'll pull some plastic bits this morning and see if my fat hands will fit in there better.

Jon, you must be very dexterous or have very long fingers with a couple extra nuckles.

Buccaneer, My brother just returned from your beautiful country. After seeing his pictures and hearing his tails, a trip to South Africa is definately on my list of MUST DO things - what an amazing place!

Just changed my two dip bulbs over this afternoon - only took about 30 minutes. Took longest trying to seat the bulbs squarely! Always make sure that they are properly seated before wasting time putting the access covers back on crazy.gif Now have Xenon bulbs - only put these in because the two original bulbs blew within one week of each other!

Cheers

Richard

Like any Halogen light, do not touch the glass with your fingers. If you DO touch the glass, clean with alcohol. Finger oils will fry (with the heat of a Halogen) leaving carbonized deposits on the glass.

Bob.

Funny thing happend, after farting around with that bulb last night for 20 minutes with no luck I had to leave it to go out. This morning I stuck my hand in there and everything popped together instantly, I guess I just needed to leave it alone for a bit. dopeslap.gif

TowJam - This bulb lasted 7 months and 12,000 miles

It wasn't the time away that got the bulb in, had the same problem with my RT, spent nearly an hour cursing the thing, eventualy had to go to the loo, came back and bingo, first time thumbsup.gifSo if your having a crap time of something, have one grin.gif

Steve Carter

Buccaneer, My brother just returned from your beautiful country. After seeing his pictures and hearing his tails, a trip to South Africa is definately on my list of MUST DO things - what an amazing place!

cool.gif Thanks for the kind words - we like it too - some fantastic riding country and minimal regulation off the beaten track.

If you make it over here, give me a shout and we'll arrange a ride for you - I am sure we can talk a dealer into lending you a bike for a few days, or failing that, rental is around $170 per day.

I am curious about the light bulbs. While mine are still working, I would like to get better lighting. Especially in corners. Do any of you have any thoughts about higher output bulbs or just driving lights in general??

I own a 2004 1150 RT in No. CA

Thanks folks

Archived