IGNORED

Gettin' Out (via comms)

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

I and three friends have all put our money down to get the new GS Adventures when they hit. Yeah, we don't know what the bottom line is yet but hey, it's only money. We're told it should be April/May/June timeframe when they get here.

The plan is for the group of us to head out from the DC area to the West coast. Hopefully we'll dip our toes in the Atlantic around OC Md. first then again into the Pacific. We'll want to keep in touch with everybody while we're on the road and I'm currently thinking Autocom for the job.

What kinds of options are out there that might be better in various ways? I need rider to passenger intercom, bike to bike, and rider/passenger to cell phone as well as inputs for radio and GPS.

We plan to enjoy the planning phase because one of our four will be undergoing surgery for Carcinoid cancer and recuperating before we can leave. We've got a name for this trip so far but we're not tellin' at the moment.

Thanks for any help.

Pat, there's a whole new line of Autocom stuff coming out, probably before the Spring. If you have the green (and it sounds like you do), you might find it worth the wait. Of course, the current stuff is on 1/2 price sale (while it lasts), so that's an option also.

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

Thanks. Yeah, I'd already realized they were dumping their current stuff. Is there some information available about the new stuff? I'm assuming they're not expecting to be able to sell any more of the current stuff once it hits the market. The bikes won't be here until late spring anyway so I can wait. My Goldwing's got most of it already.

Pat

GirlGoesCrazy4Twisties

Dear Pat,

I own the older system (half off now) and I love it. It works great bike to bike. You can also plug in your cell phone and recv incoming calls loud and clear. The person on the other end of the line won't even know you're on your bike unless you tell them. I once took a work conf. call from DC while riding out to Bodega Bay. You can use an Ipod too. The music cuts out when someone keys up the mic and goes back on when they are finished yacking.

Pat_Da_Geeeze_Donahue

Morton's. Seems to be quite a few folks who favor them. Not to mention I've known Phil Marx for quite a long time and he knows the Morton family.

Pat

I and three friends have all put our money down to get the new GS Adventures when they hit. Yeah, we don't know what the bottom line is yet but hey, it's only money. We're told it should be April/May/June timeframe when they get here.

The plan is for the group of us to head out from the DC area to the West coast. Hopefully we'll dip our toes in the Atlantic around OC Md. first then again into the Pacific. We'll want to keep in touch with everybody while we're on the road and I'm currently thinking Autocom for the job.

What kinds of options are out there that might be better in various ways? I need rider to passenger intercom, bike to bike, and rider/passenger to cell phone as well as inputs for radio and GPS.

Thanks for any help.

Pat,

I've been using the HJC Chatterbox for 5-6 years now. I wrote a review on it in the reviews section of the club website in my signature line below. For about $225 I think it gives pretty good value. The older models were FRS only, but now they offer GMRS as well (a little better range and less traffic on the air). They will accomodate passenger intercom, bike to bike. I like the fact that the whole unit attaches to the side of the helmet and (unless you wire to a passenger) there are no wires tethering you to the bike. You simply reach up, turn it on, and go. I've found a battery will usually last a whole day (I've done a couple 1000+ mile days and the radio was still going). I can feed in the audio from my Garmin 276C GPS if I want to also. I believe the newer models accomodate certain cell phone models (Nokia and possibly others) I have found this a great alternative to hard wiring myself to $1000+ worth of electronics strapped to my bike. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck with your trip! Sounds exciting! Hope your friend gets through his ordeal ok.

Archived