IGNORED

Ok, wake up........

MWS

......This K bike thread!! This weekend I'm going to install my Moto Lights and hardwire my Garmin. Would you people be interested in a play by play with photo's?

It's going down Saturday!

If I really mess it up, you won't see nutin'

Ahhhhh. So it's snowing there in Orange Village, Ohio, eh Mark?

Well, I've done both tasks and I'm here to tell you it was more fun than stepping on a rusty nail. But, not much.

There are loads and loads of ways to route things for the Moto-Lights, and coil them up. I chose to keep stuff out from under the tank so they'd be accessible to me when/if parts in the harness broke (which they haven't), and to keep dealer technicians from messing with it when they pull the tank for work around there.

However, several times, I've had to unplug the wire from the lamps themselves to replace either that section of harness (actually the connector to the bulb) or the light itself. I can see that's likely if one keeps the bike long, and rides in all kinds of weather. So, I suggest you make that connection easily accessible to simply disconnecting it by reaching above the fender into that section of the fairing without removing any plastic.

While the "old" RS/GT is being superceded, I still think getting a good view of how to route and tie down such harnesses would be of interest.

I'm curious though as to why you want the Garmin hard wired, rather than having a removable cable along with a removable device. What's your idea there, guy?

Best wishes.

Dick

As far as the Moto lights, using the stuff they gave me, seems straight forward. Hot to switched and gnd to gnd.

Garmim is hot all the time for reasons of keeping data on. Time of trip, and time stopped etc..etc, learned from Ed!!!.

Now the fun part will be no wiring diagram! I've got a fluke meter and 20+ years in electronics on my side, but who knows?

Well, I've done both tasks and I'm here to tell you it was more fun than stepping on a rusty nail. But, not much.

grin.gifgrin.gif

Same here dopeslap.gif

For what it's worth I didn't use the switch provided.

I used a small lighted rocker switch that I picked up at ??Trak Auto?? I put a layer or two of heat shrink to provide rain protection & increase the outer dimension. I then jambed the switch between the right hand control & its support arm. I put a resister in line with the ground wire for the light as I found the level of light to bright at night.

Good luck on your install & have fun thumbsup.gif

Mark, you echo a pain point for me - the lack of a good wiring diagram has me frustrated.

Bruce, the autoswitch is the way to go, in my opinion. I wired mine in per the instructions, and placed the unit inside the wiring connector box on the right side below the tank and air intake. A dab of hot glue did the trick for mounting.

One other thing I do for all my wiring is to run the wires through a braided sleeve - this helps keep individual wires together without tie wraps and makes for a very clean install.

But yes, pictures!

Bruce,

The plan is to stash the switch somewhere and leave it on. Wire the rely to a swiched circuit, seat heater possibly. Seems I have the harness, but not the option.

My Brother in law watched them being installed on his LT at the CCR this year, so I won't be totally blind.

Dick,

Good point on the routing. Rain changing to snow!

The foot and a half we had earlier is almost gone!

Dave,

One Question on the braid thing. Sounds slick!

I slide the new wiring into the jacket, and then need less tie wraps to keep it neat?

Just to chime in, I hard wired my PIAA's and the Garmin (GPSmap296) along the fuel distrib. circuit, just below the tank on the left side. Works great, easy to inspect, and keeps it out from under the tank. Garmin is mounted using a Gadgetguy.net mount, so it snaps in and out quickly and the plug is always dangling close. Still waiting for a reliable housing so it won't dissapear during lunch stops - but battery backup keeps it going when unplugged.

Good luck with that Ohio winter. Man, it must be tough......

I donno, sorta like it. Beats the 11 winters in Minnesota I had endured. Gives me a nice break to reflect my golf and riding bad habits, so i can work on my skiing bad habits!

I see about the Garmin, Mark. I want my connection UNSWITCHED too, but I still have a disconnectable cord.

On my bike, I installed BMW power outlets in each dash panel with covers the turn signals - but one on the left side, same side as the Garmin will do. One needs to carefully fit the outlet since the turn signal nearly touches the panel at its center. But offset properly there is abundant clearance.

This way, I can fit at BMW plug to the Garmin corn and thuc can remove the Garmin, and its cord, and water seal the outlet.

And, the outlet can serve other purposes like battery tending, air pumps, and as a back up to my heated clothing outlet.

Yeh, Spiral Loom is good for keeping wires together and providing an extra layer of protection. It also allows "snaking out" a section of wire, as to coil excess, without having to custom cut lengths.

I always ride with the Moto Lights on, and only use the switch during maintenance such as to prevent heat buildup, or to drop battery load when starting after sitting a few weeks. I mounted mine with Dual Lock beneath the center of the black insturment panel, to the panel's bottom edge.

Best wishes.

When running the remote heated clothing thermostat controller wire on my KRS. I enclosed it, 4 #16 wires and 2 #14 awg wires(all for future use) in a 3/8ths. flexable plastic conduit along the left side of the engine near the fuel rail. Just note your routing near the cruise control cables. I routed under them to avoid any future sag in the conduit and rubbing on the cruise cables. Goes in easy and the only ty-raps uesd were on the headlight brace. Just a reminder; DO NOT tape your wires together in a bundle inside of your plastic conduit. If you do you will never be able to slip in another wire or remove an existng wire from the conduit.

Bruce C smile.gif

Ok, here another thing I have to figued out ,

The end of the Garmin V cord will be dangling in the elements went not using the GPS.

I think I have got the ride to work down pat now.

First I was thinking of a small plastic cap to cover the exposed end.

Now I'm rethinking that tactic. I like the idea of running power to a socket, then a short cord the GPS

When I'm not using it, no danglies and protected from the elements.

When it is in use and need to leave the bike, just unplug power from back of unit and stash!

Sound good?

Thanks Dick, now I gotta go buy more stuff!!!!!!!

And I supported my local dealer!!

Just got back with a socket kit and plug. He said I missed a new GT last week that was on a truck delievering some new cycle's to them. The tan color, said it looked good, darn!

HP2 was on the floor, first one I have seen live, not bad!

Next question, need a fuse for the GPS?

My friends Quest has a 5 amp fuse in the motorcycle mounting kit.... seems excessive.

I would think the Quest would save the fuse!

Do you have the cigarette lighter cord for the Garmin V? You could mount a marine type lighter socket in one of the holes that make up the headlight/fairing support bracket.

You could probably run a 1 amp. fuse, if you are only going to run the gps from the socket.

So you like the HP2? Would you fork over $19.950 for it? And it has NO aftermarket support at all.

Bruce C smile.gif

Like my K too much!

Hey, I like Lynn's Softie (no comments from the peanut gallery!) and her brothers RK, just wouldn't own 'em!

I bought an unterminated power cord from Garmin.

Next question, need a fuse for the GPS?

My friends Quest has a 5 amp fuse in the motorcycle mounting kit.... seems excessive.

I would think the Quest would save the fuse!

No. Put a 10 to 20 amp fuse in the line from BMW socket direct to the battery positive terminal (depending upon the draw of your heaviest accessory like an air pump). Run the socket's ground line direct to the battery negative terminal. Both lines should be in a protective sheath the least of which should be shrink wrap. Don't connect anything else to either of these lines lines. That way, you have no need to worry about what's connected to the outlet, like your GPS.

Best wishes.

I did much the same as Master Yoda with the Motolights always on but the switch on mine is mounted on the frame neck. Since I am a gadget guy I also mounted a BMW power plug in the fairing. This, in turn, powers the tank bag with mounts for the GPS and various sound equipment and outlets for the Gerbrings heated clothing. Makes for a very neat set up.

Tank Bag

Took about 31/2 hour to complete both Motolights and power for the GPS. Very pleased on the end result, but disapointed that a lot of the photo's didn't turn out.

Can't trust the LCD diplay on the camera!

The whole process wasn't all that bad, just time consuming.

Photo's with descriptions here.

Thanks to all you here for moral support and my bro in-law for physical and moral support!!!

Archived